Question for those with a Piranha tooth bar.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Nicfin - I agree with the other poster - don't overthink this kind of stuff.

You've ordered your bar, so water under the bridge for this, but your bucket and attachments are not a surgical instruments..... close works just fine, except for too big... easier to put the stretcher on than make them shorter.

Enjoy your new PTB, they are as good as everyone says they are!

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I put my order in on a Friday night after hours, was shipped the following Monday and I got it that Wednesday. After hearing of recent delays on here it could be different. I did order mine in the fall so maybe it wasn’t there busy time. I’m debating ordering their thumb for the backhoe I just ordered or if I should just go with the Kubota one.
Well shoot, that was quick. I seriously doubt I will receive mine that quickly, although it would be nice if I did. I have read they have a 10-week backlog.

I have the factory thumb, I wonder if I should have ordered the BXpanded version. It is cheaper than what I paid. I think the factory thumb cost me $525. Another person on the forum indicated the BXpanded quick attach connector interfered with the factory thumb somewhat, but they were making modifications to prevent that.

Nicfin - I agree with the other poster - don't overthink this kind of stuff.

You've ordered your bar, so water under the bridge for this, but your bucket and attachments are not a surgical instruments..... close works just fine, except for too big... easier to put the stretcher on than make them shorter.

Enjoy your new PTB, they are as good as everyone says they are!

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
I realize perhaps many reading this thread think I am overly concerned with the measurements. I guess I should have made it clear, I am not really that concerned about it. I just became curious looking at some Youtube videos and whatnot on the bar. It seemed to be that the bars were sized significantly less than ordered width and many were commenting on how much gap there was. (Fordtech even had the same sentiment.) Of course, the wings pull in fine when tightening the bolts.

I've reached the age that little things don't bother me. Actually very little bothers me. The bar will be treated as a tool. I just spent this evening knocking the new paint off my backhoe digging up some big rocks in the yard and other stuff.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Well shoot, that was quick. I seriously doubt I will receive mine that quickly, although it would be nice if I did. I have read they have a 10-week backlog.

I have the factory thumb, I wonder if I should have ordered the BXpanded version. It is cheaper than what I paid. I think the factory thumb cost me $525. Another person on the forum indicated the BXpanded quick attach connector interfered with the factory thumb somewhat, but they were making modification

Kind of why I’m thinking the bxpanded thumb. I do plan to add their quick attach, ripper tooth, and probably a trenching bucket from them.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Kind of why I'm thinking the bxpanded thumb. I do plan to add their quick attach, ripper tooth, and probably a trenching bucket from them.
That's exactly what I am planning on purchasing a little later as well. I am thinking they will have ironed out fitment issues by then. You probably saw the thread about it. I think it was only an issue with brand new BH77 backhoes and/or thumbs. So, if yours is not relatively new, it probably is OK anyway.

Also, I forgot to say on my last post, I appreciate everyone's' input and help.

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
BX2680 with FEL and 60" MMM, rear PTO snowblower, 4' box blade, pallet forks
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
I ordered mine on 6/11, haven't seen it yet. I was torn between measuring and just selecting "BX" sized, but went with BX and obviously put the model number in the comments like they ask. I'll report back when it shows up, I'm antsy as all hell waiting on it.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
I ordered mine on 6/11, haven't seen it yet. I was torn between measuring and just selecting "BX" sized, but went with BX and obviously put the model number in the comments like they ask. I'll report back when it shows up, I'm antsy as all hell waiting on it.
Relax padowan, padowin, pedowin, pediwin, pudion, whathevertheforkyousayit. All will be good. :D

Last edited:

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Relax padowan, padowin, pedowin, pediwin, pudion, whathevertheforkyousayit. All will be good. :D
Haha. I would like mine as well, but realize it will be multiple weeks before it is delivered most likely. Patience is my superpower though. I waited at least 15 years to buy this tractor, so waiting a few weeks for the bar is no big deal. (No offense LobsterClaw, just my little side story.)

I'm also waiting on my root grapple from Everything Attachments (EA), which I really want more than the Piranha Bar. The fellow with EA called me after I placed my order online and the first thing he asked was, "You know there is a 10 week wait?" I said, "Yeah, that's fine." I chuckled to myself thinking how another 10 weeks isn't going to matter after 15 plus years of waiting. Of course, he was just informing me of my wait time, but I thought it a bit funny since I have held out 15 years for a little tractor like I now have.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I ordered my PTB April 17 of this year. It took exactly 2 months to get a shipping notice for the bar. I had also ordered (in the same order) the backhoe quicktach and ripper tooth for my BH77 backhoe. That shipping notice came a few days after the first. The PTB fit perfect...sliding right into place with just a tiny gap to squeeze out with the mounting bolts. However: a week later the other box showed up! It was over 5 feet long and contained a 65.5 inch PTB! What the heck. The shipping label was correct along with the order # for the quick tach and ripper tooth. A quick call and talk with Howard straightened things out after I sent a few pics. Two weeks later again, the right parts showed up along with a return label for the 2nd PTB. Howard was apologetic and great to talk with. Their products are great and the waiting hassle is now long forgotten! Now I just hope that whoever received my original quick tach and ripper tooth by mistake was honest enough to notify them and exchange them for their proper item(s). :D

Orange4X4

Equipment
L2350DT with loader , 52" Taylor Way , Ratchet Rake , Land Pride post hole
Aug 12, 2018
Concordia, MO
I bought a 48" tooth bar here and no drilling the bucket.
It fastens with 1/2-13" set screws with acorn nuts for covering
the set screws to stop dirt from entering the hex part.
It was about $425.00 with shipping to my local AG store in town.
The inly issue was some of the acorn nuts got flattened in shipping,
I bought stainless replacements at McMaster Carr.
Digging in hard clay is a lot better now.

https://northstarattachments.com/attachments/bucket-tooth-bar/

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
BX2680 with FEL and 60" MMM, rear PTO snowblower, 4' box blade, pallet forks
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Ok one data point for those interested:

Ordered "BX size" on 6/11. Arrived today, 7/13 so 4 weeks and 4 days total, right within their estimate of 3-5 weeks.

Shipped to Maine, if my screen name on here didn't give it away.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Ok one data point for those interested:

Ordered "BX size" on 6/11. Arrived today, 7/13 so 4 weeks and 4 days total, right within their estimate of 3-5 weeks.

Shipped to Maine, if my screen name on here didn't give it away.
Cool. Good to hear. I think I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Mine arrived yesterday. I believe that was 3 weeks 4 days for me. Not bad.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I bought our Piranha bar late last summer.

As I recall it only took about a week to get here, even to this part of the far north...

I have read a flurry of posts about long delivery times from a number of well known suppliers. From a long carrier in manufacturing and fabrication this is telling me many of these suppliers are having trouble finding sub suppliers to make parts they may not be set up to do them selves. Like plasma cut parts, machine shop made parts. Machine shop parts typically will be part that transmit power from one area of an implement to another.

Likely they are having trouble finding shops that have the time to make relatively small batch parts.

My best guess and 5 cents of experience..

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Sorry Tim, but I can't buy into the 'mfr can't find subshops for parts' idea. I've got 4 local CNC shops that will make small batches of parts with just a phone call, usually get them within the week. When I made remote energy control systems 3 decades ago(preWEB) I made sure every part had 2-3 mfrs and 3-4 suppliers, even the microcomputer chip, so never had a 'supply' problem. Today with the WEB and modern equipment, you can get anything made, anywhere in the World and shipped to you PDQ.
What I've seen looking for BX23 addons, is several 'storefronts' selling the identical unit, so there's only ONE mfr(probably offshore). What amazes me are customers who WILL wait 2-3 MONTHS or longer ,for an item ! For me, that is the entire Summer season , I wonder how anyone can put off a job that long...
Jay

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
Sorry Tim, but I can't buy into the 'mfr can't find subshops for parts' idea.
>>>>>>>
Not every area is going to be the same... In the far east CA. or US, "spindle time" and shipping will be different than the far west and north, or most other parts of "fly over" North America for instance. If you are just trading dollars between product price, sub contractor and shipping prices the numbers don't crunch out.. But I've been retired a long while now, and it has been a long time since those college classes.

With many brand names, depending on one manufacturer for a line of products or parts, all the same or very similar there will eventually be issues. For example. It seems a number of years ago Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge were all using Firestone tires, and there were issues.

Tell me about a "short summer" to get everything done. We are zone 2.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeesh zone 2 ! That'd be kinda way up north and I'd have to build a greenhouse, or 2 or 3...
we've been hammered with rain, garden is mud.now 40*C past week. hate to see the hydro bill at 25c/kWh.....
oh well, joys of livin in Canda,eh !

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I just installed my bar on the L2501. Installation was rather simple. Probably the hardest part was drilling the pilot holes. The new Harbor Freight step drill bit cut through the metal like butter. Directions say drill a 3/4" hole. I did not and drilled until the bolt went through the hole. 5/8" hole or so.

I was just able to tighten the bolts before the thunderstorms rolled in and the bottom fell out. So, I ran from the barn to the house without trying it out on a dirt pile. :(

SolbergDave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800HST w/LA1065 FEL, Bobcat forks, QH10, RB3784, BB3584, RTA1274
Jul 12, 2018
PHILLIPS, WI
I'm thinking about purchasing a Piranha tooth bar. The inside of the bucket measures 64 3/8".

The toothbar selection is in 1/4" increments. Do I order the 64.25" or 64.5" bar. From what I have seen online, video reviews and such, it always seems like the tooth bar mounting tabs seems to measure a little less in width than what is actually indicated.
My Piranha worked out to be a little less than actual also. When bolts tightened up mounting tabs pulled in tight no problem. Was at little interesting getting nuts started with lock washers, bolts are not xtra long.