Grease With Electric Grease Gun Without Damage?

mopac01

Aug 21, 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
I bought my L3200 (incl FEL) new in 2013 and it took me until 2017 to get my first 50 hours. The dealer had promised to lube at that first interval so I'm just getting to the point of having to do it myself. (Obviously the tractor doesn't get a ton of use - just a few brush hog passes of my 5 acres a year. And it is stored in the barn out of the elements.)

I'm thinking of buying a Milwaukee electric grease gun because I remember there are a LOT of zerk fittings on this thing between the tractor and FEL. But I thought I read something about folks breaking seals getting too much grease in. My truck and car have permanently lubed suspension components so I haven't had to grease anything in years.

Can anyone give me some guidance on how to do this without doing any damage? Hopefully the fittings aren't clogged given it's not in the weather and more a giant lawn mower than anything.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Exact same tractor and grease gun. With loader pins I just grease until it pushes out the sides of the pin, the tie rod ends until you see them puff up (they do have a little relief hole in them in case you put too much in), couple pumps in the rear front axle pivot, take the plug out of the front front axle pivot and go until the grease comes out, and a shot or two in the brake and clutch pivots. After doing it a couple times with a hand pump gun you will appreciate the cordless one.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I love my Milwaukee cordless.

With a hand pump gun, especially when crawling under the machine, it always seemed like I needed a third hand. One to connect the coupler to the zerk, one to hold the gun and a third to pump the lever.

The guns can be adjusted in several ways to control the grease output.

One hand puts the hose on the Zerk and the other pulls the trigger.

Dave

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My only observation is, your 'lubed for life suspension components are are on their way to failure. It's designed that way. No grease, just replace.:eek:

mopac01

Aug 21, 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
Exact same tractor and grease gun. With loader pins I just grease until it pushes out the sides of the pin, the tie rod ends until you see them puff up (they do have a little relief hole in them in case you put too much in), couple pumps in the rear front axle pivot, take the plug out of the front front axle pivot and go until the grease comes out, and a shot or two in the brake and clutch pivots. After doing it a couple times with a hand pump gun you will appreciate the cordless one.
What are the chances you can post pictures of all these places so I'm sure I get them correct? (Including the plug you mention removing.)

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
I love my Milwaukee grease gun! I added a Lock n Lube fitting. As stated above, a couple seconds per pin until the old grease pushes out a bit. I use HP Grease with moly for all pivot pins, and regular grease for all spindle bearings and u-joints (I use a small manual pistol grip gun for those)

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I love my Milwaukee grease gun! I added a Lock n Lube fitting. As stated above, a couple seconds per pin until the old grease pushes out a bit. I use HP Grease with moly for all pivot pins, and regular grease for all spindle bearings and u-joints (I use a small manual pistol grip gun for those)
This right here...get the locking tip...saves making messes...

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
My reference of left and right is from sitting in the seat

Rear front axle pivot fitting on left side

Square head plug for front front axle fitting,also left side,I use vise grips to take it out,I got square sockets at work but never here when I need them.

Front front axle grease fitting on right side,grease until it comes out of the removed plug on the left side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

Tie rod end,you will have four total,the inner and outer on each side

Brake fitting under right side floor board

Clutch fitting under left side floor board

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I didn’t go in to loader fittings as I thought they are fairly obvious,the fittings at the lift cylinders are at the bottom. You should also grease your u joints on your pto shaft for the mower.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Jeepin, just curious if you tried the Milwaukee gun without the lock n lube? With mine the standard Milwaukee fitting locks on to the zerk good without coming off.