L3600 GST shift problems

bo bream

Equipment
l3600 GST MX4600 DT
Jul 15, 2019
Chapin, Sc
Long time stalker, first time poster. Thanks for all the great info over time!!! I have searched the forum over and cant find any info on what I have going on.
I have a Kubota L3600 with the glide shift transmission. It gets stuck in forward gear. (hand shifter to left of steering wheel) To get it out of forward, you have to put it in 8th gear, go pretty fast, and will eventually come out of gear. It does not get stuck in reverse.:confused:
A little history on machine: Tractor had a good amount of water in the hydraulic system. hydraulic filter was in very poor condition.(half crushed) I have drained hyd. oil from every port I can find, flushed as best I can with clean fluid, replaced hyd. filter, and filled with new clean hyd oil (travlers premium)
Please give me some ideas as to what may be going on, or am I missing something simple? Thanks in advance!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is the shuttle lever not able to move at all?

It could be a bad universal joint on the shuttle lever shaft causing it to bind, or more likely it has damaged the synchronizer keys or synchronizer rings.

It's not very hard to split it and get into the front where the shuttle is and replace any damaged parts. ;)

bo bream

Equipment
l3600 GST MX4600 DT
Jul 15, 2019
Chapin, Sc
When stuck in forward, the shifter will move, just slack/play. Not out of forward gear. once you get it out of forward, if shifts slick as glass until you put it in forward and drive a little. Then its stuck in forward again. as I stated earlier, you could drive clear across county in reverse and it will shift right out, drive 20ft in forward and it will be stuck, and you have to go through the whole process of how to get it un-stuck. This make sense? Thank you for your replies!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When stuck in forward, the shifter will move, just slack/play. Not out of forward gear. once you get it out of forward, if shifts slick as glass until you put it in forward and drive a little. Then its stuck in forward again. as I stated earlier, you could drive clear across county in reverse and it will shift right out, drive 20ft in forward and it will be stuck, and you have to go through the whole process of how to get it un-stuck. This make sense? Thank you for your replies!!
Check the universal joint, then if it's not that it's a matter of diving in and splitting it. ;)