B3350 Update

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
As promised, here is the latest in my B3350 saga.

For those of you who do not know, I bought mine in May of 2018. It now has 32 hours on the clock, about 10 of which I put on doing actual work. It was new on a shipping carrier when I bought it and was inspected before delivery to assure that the DPF system was fully up to date. It is.

Still, both times it tried to do a running regen while I was using it, it abruptly shut down and would not restart for about 30 minutes. Diagnostics shows 02 (third of three) temperature sensor over temperature.

First time this happened, Kubota authorized injection timing inspection as I had noticed rough idle (vibration) when compared side to side with other 3350s. Timing was found to be several degrees off (advanced, IIRC) and corrected. Vibration was eliminated but next regen produced same shut down and same 02 OT code.

Tractor has been at dealer for 8 weeks as of Monday 07/15, and two Kubota service representatives have inspected it. About a month ago, the injectors and pump were removed and sent to the Kubota authorized service center to verify all within specs. Over-fueling will cause excessive exhaust temperature but is not visibly apparent at exhaust because DPF eliminates any smoke caused by over-fueling. Everything was within spec and no changes or replacements were made.

About two weeks ago, the intake manifold was removed to inspect for oil getting past the valve guides/seals. Evidence of oil past intake seals was found, most noticeably in #4 cylinder. Not much, but I was told that it does not take much as intake manifold oil is burnt raising exhaust temperature and OT limit is very tight to comply with nonsensical (my editorial comment) federal regulations. Head was removed and sent to Kubota authorized service center for reconditioning or replacement. My dealer has done this in two or three other cases (F series mowers) upon finding oil in intake and none of these mowers have come back.

I have long thought that my problem is due to a defective or not current reformer but, until now, Kubota did not authorize replacement as it costs "$4,000."

Yesterday, I learned that Kubota has now authorized replacement of the reformer, DPF and just about everything else in the emissions system, including reconditioning or replacement of the cylinder head assembly.

Hopefully, this will make my 3350 useable.

I hope to have it back in two or three weeks and should know within a month or so afterward.

Will post back with updates one way or the other.

SDT

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Glad it appears they are finally getting to the heart of the problem.

Hopefully, all the fixes will finally be 'the fix' and you will have a working tractor.

I feel your pain on delays, our washing machine has been broken for over a month. Covered under warranty and still waiting for parts to come in.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I feel for ya, I would be past livid if it was mine, I would have demanded a different tractor!

I really hope they get them straightened out as it's a real black eye for kubota with those 2 models!

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
SDT, that sure is a lot issues & tissues, could you have not returned the B3350 for another or a different model completely.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
SDT - thanks for the update.

I find it concerning that Kubota has such a known non-performing model in circulation without giving owners some sort of relief.

Seems relief, if any, comes from dealers via trade for different tractors.

Are there enough owners like you to qualify for a class action suit?

I don't know what makes a class action, beyond a group of those that allege suffering a loss.

As l recall, you're quite savvy in this realm...

Is there the potential for such a thing?

You guys have gotten screwed by Kubota for the B3350 problems, in my humble opinion.

Wishing you, and all your compatriots the best......

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
SDT, that sure is a lot issues & tissues, could you have not returned the B3350 for another or a different model completely.
Not really.

2650 has insufficient power for my purposes, I have a MMM and need small frame size.

I already have larger tractors.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
SDT - thanks for the update.

I find it concerning that Kubota has such a known non-performing model in circulation without giving owners some sort of relief.

Seems relief, if any, comes from dealers via trade for different tractors.

Are there enough owners like you to qualify for a class action suit?

I don't know what makes a class action, beyond a group of those that allege suffering a loss.

As l recall, you're quite savvy in this realm...

Is there the potential for such a thing?

You guys have gotten screwed by Kubota for the B3350 problems, in my humble opinion.

Wishing you, and all your compatriots the best......

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
It hasn't come to such things yet and probably won't.

Class action law suits are created by attorneys to create large legal fees. Plaintiffs are of little concern to such.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Look up 'Lemon Laws' in your state. I doubt it but it may be written loosely enough to apply.
I am familiar with lemon laws but we are not yet there.

Besides, what is the recourse? B2650 is not powerful enough and need small size and MMM.

SDT

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Did you have to pay and/ or haul this thing to the dealer every time?

As biased as I am with the brand, it would be hard for me not to be done with them. Glad to see they***8217;re trying at making it right, but 8+ weeks of shop time is ridiculous. Say you financed it? What exactly are you paying on every month?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It hasn't come to such things yet and probably won't.

Class action law suits are created by attorneys to create large legal fees. Plaintiffs are of little concern to such.

SDT

True.
I wasn’t thinking in that frame, but you’re correct.
Really is the genesis of most....
Thanks for clarifying for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
SDT, one other idle thought. If the current fix does not work out, can you see if your dealer will loan you a B2650 long enough for you to see if it will do the tasks you want without too many compromises? Or perhaps until the new edition of the 3350 with a common rail engine is available?

You might be pleasantly surprised with what the B2650 can do with its small size. When I first got it I kept wishing it had the quiet transmission and other features of my L3560, but it gets done what I need easily, a lot of mowing from lawn to pasture (with the deck hiked up) and snow blowing.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Did you have to pay and/ or haul this thing to the dealer every time?

As biased as I am with the brand, it would be hard for me not to be done with them. Glad to see they***8217;re trying at making it right, but 8+ weeks of shop time is ridiculous. Say you financed it? What exactly are you paying on every month?
You hit exactly on the sore spot.

Though a country dwelling tractor lover (not a real farmer), I chose to not own either truck or trailer.

I was well aware of the regen issues with the 3350 before buying it but convinced myself that such issues either had been resolved or that Kubota would have such resolved soon. Nevertheless, I negotiated for no cost hauling within the first two years should the 3350 need to be returned to the dealer for anything related to warranty. Because I had asked for similar no cost hauling when I bought my L6060 and M9960, and had no issues, I did not "insult" my salesman by having that term written on the sales contract. Mistake.

FWIW: My dealer is only five miles away.

Upon making arrangements for warranty service after the (second) shutdown, I reminded the service manager of the "dealerships" promise of no charge hauling 5 miles each way. Service operates their truck and "new" (after I bought the 3350) service manager told me that he could not haul for free and directed me to the manager. Manager weaseled out and directed me to my salesman. FWIW, dealership was recently reorganized into profit centers. I'm guessing that many of you can guess what's coming and why.

Salesman said "I never said that," and "we can't have trucks running around for free." Knowing that it had become a he said, she said, and I could not prove what the salesman said, I walked away. The service manager told me that he would pick up and deliver for 1 hour shop time, $90 or $100, IIRC. I recognized that he was giving me a bit of a break, as his driver will have more than one hour in PU and delivery. It goes without saying that I will buy nothing more from that salesman.

Next closest dealer is 30 miles away. I bought my RTVX-1100C from them (better price, and needed to keep local dealer honest) and they delivered it without extra charge (again, I negotiated for this) but made it clear that they would not haul for free if it needed to come back for any reason, warranty or otherwise.

I also bought my nearly as new 72" used MMM for the 3350 from the 30 mile dealer and paid them $100 to deliver it. So far, they have treated me well. I would have readily said the same about my 5 mile dealer last year but no longer.

FWIW: I paid cash for the 3350 and lots of options but the warranty clock is ticking while the tractor sits in the shop and $28K+ (ROPS model) is a lot of money to watch collect dust in the dealer's shop. Senior tech assigned to work on it (good guy) is now on vacation for a week. I do not expect it back for another 2 or 3 weeks.

SDT

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
SDT, one other idle thought. If the current fix does not work out, can you see if your dealer will loan you a B2650 long enough for you to see if it will do the tasks you want without too many compromises? Or perhaps until the new edition of the 3350 with a common rail engine is available?

You might be pleasantly surprised with what the B2650 can do with its small size. When I first got it I kept wishing it had the quiet transmission and other features of my L3560, but it gets done what I need easily, a lot of mowing from lawn to pasture (with the deck hiked up) and snow blowing.
I researched this issue before buying the 3350. The B2650 does not have the HP that I need for some of the tasks that I bought the 3350 to do.

The new version of the 3350 would be ideal, and I did not need to buy the 3350 when I did. Though I researched things thoroughly, before buying, it did not occur to me that the engine used in the 3350 is the only DPF engine sold by Kubota in tractors or mowers that is directly injected. This makes the regen system 100% different from that used on other Kubota common rail engines which are just about seamless. Had I known this, I would not have bought it. Wish I had waited.

FWIW, though a "good" customer three new tractors within the last 3 1/2 years) there is no way that my dealer would "loan" a B2650 to me to demo.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
True.
I wasn’t thinking in that frame, but you’re correct.
Really is the genesis of most....
Thanks for clarifying for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FWIW: I am a retired attorney (not tort, but patent) as well as a retired engineer, and a lifetime mechanic. I still do most of my service and maintenance work aside from warranty work. In times past, I've enjoyed doing so, but with age, I'm less inclined to bite off major mechanical projects than I once was, and so many things can no longer be done on modern vehicles by those without proper electronics and connections.

I'm not one to think law suit before exhausting other potential remedies. Like so many, I'm not a fan or our tort system or the plaintiff's bar.

SDT

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Funny, sales people never forget before the sale, but their memory slips quickly after it. My local dealer will pick and deliver, at no cost, for any warranty issues.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Dumb question as I don't know a tart from a tort... but outside the legal system, are you perhaps in a position, SDT, to provide a summary of down-time, frustration, headaches etc to Kubota corporate? The corporate entity may see an opportunity to stem the bleeding of reputation on this model of tractor and, as such, may be in a position to grant you no-charge warranty extension for a term at least equal to your down-time, or perhaps some other valuable consideration.

Sorry to see you going through this, taking it on the chin personally in order to save the world from terrible tractor emissions.

Without knowing your other applications it would be impossible to know whether a 2650 might fit the bill, however it appears you've already performed pretty rational analysis of your requirements.

From personal observations I believe my B-series tractors punch well above their weight, or at least they readily exceed my expectations of what they should be able to do. As an example, my MF-135 tractor can be brought to its knees by a 72" bush hog. Yesterday I was running the B7510 and 48" bush hog in the same field where the MF135 was struggling. On a straight horsepower for horsepower basis the Kubota is more heavily loaded (cutting inches divided by PTO HP) yet it didn't have any trouble mowing a very heavy crop of hay. I would have had difficulty believing this had I not been the operator of both tractors on subsequent years in the same field. Perhaps, just perhaps, the B2650 might do the job for you.

(In case you can't tell, I'm kind of a fan of the B-series tractors so I'm really displeased you're having such difficulties with yours.)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Dumb question as I don't know a tart from a tort... but outside the legal system, are you perhaps in a position, SDT, to provide a summary of down-time, frustration, headaches etc to Kubota corporate? The corporate entity may see an opportunity to stem the bleeding of reputation on this model of tractor and, as such, may be in a position to grant you no-charge warranty extension for a term at least equal to your down-time, or perhaps some other valuable consideration.

Sorry to see you going through this, taking it on the chin personally in order to save the world from terrible tractor emissions.

Without knowing your other applications it would be impossible to know whether a 2650 might fit the bill, however it appears you've already performed pretty rational analysis of your requirements.

From personal observations I believe my B-series tractors punch well above their weight, or at least they readily exceed my expectations of what they should be able to do. As an example, my MF-135 tractor can be brought to its knees by a 72" bush hog. Yesterday I was running the B7510 and 48" bush hog in the same field where the MF135 was struggling. On a straight horsepower for horsepower basis the Kubota is more heavily loaded (cutting inches divided by PTO HP) yet it didn't have any trouble mowing a very heavy crop of hay. I would have had difficulty believing this had I not been the operator of both tractors on subsequent years in the same field. Perhaps, just perhaps, the B2650 might do the job for you.

(In case you can't tell, I'm kind of a fan of the B-series tractors so I'm really displeased you're having such difficulties with yours.)
I'm also a fan of the B series tractors. Indeed, my B1750 HSD with PS and Bi-Speed turn, is the best major purchase of my lifetime.

That said, the B2650 does not have the HP to do some of the tasks that I bought the B3350 to do.

FWIW: This time, I've kept very good detailed records in the event that I might need such. No plans to go there at this time.

SDT

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
How are you deciding that the 2650 doesn't have enough horsepower? As I mentioned in another thread, and I don't remember your rationale, I apologize, the two tractors have basically the same equipment limitations according to Kubota. Keep in mind a lot of us ask questions in the hopes of havinginformation appear that is useful to others too.