New Bat Wing

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Yesterday, I used my new 15' batwing mower for the first time after the right side gearbox had been replaced with the correct CCW unit. Tried it about three weeks ago only to discover that the right spindle was rotating CW rather than CCW, as designed. As you can imagine, it didn't cut with a D on the right side.

Before buying this Woods BW-15.50 unit with 8 used aircraft tires and light kit, I shopped just about all brands. I do not need a 15' BW and really wanted the new Land Pride Heavy Duty 12' model but it was simply too expensive. With 6 new aircraft tires and optional over running clutch (really wanted that) it would have cost me at least $2,500 more than did my 15' 15.50 with 8 AC tires and $300 optional light kit. Lights are standard equipment on the LP but the ORC was an (about $400) option, not available from anyone else so far as I know. Could have pulled 12' BW with L6060 after anticipated future downsizing. 15' BW is both too wide and too heavy for L6060.

Took some time to get things dialed in but pleased once I had. Cuts close and well, more closely and better than does the Woods BB840X, 7' cutter that I had been using temporarily prior to purchasing a BW.

I no longer clear ground so was cutting only grass and annuals and was rolling along at about 6 MPH in the flat, smooth areas. Cutting was superb, even at 1". Six MPH with the 7' mounted cutter is right at the edge of poor cutting even at 600 PTO RPM and 2"+ cutting height. Could have mowed faster with BW but would have needed to change from low range 6th gear to high range 1st gear precluding gearing down for turns, rough spots, etc., without stopping to change ranges.

Cover was not heavy so pulled rather easily. My 90 PTO HP Kubota M9960 hardly knew it was back there at about 2,000/52/30 engine/PTO RPM. Did not slow down in heavier areas but could tell that governor was increasing fuel.

With the 7' cutter, I used EPTO, resulting in about 600 PTO RPM at about 1,750 engine RPM. Engine worked harder as it's far from 90 PTO HP at 1,750 engine RPM.

Used about 4 gallons in 3+ hours. Probably would have used as much or more with the 7' cutter in EPTO, as job would have taken longer.

Overall, rather pleased, but will likely set mower up an inch or so as afraid that cutting so closely may kill grass given how dry things are here.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I like my Landpride but it wasn't cheap. M9 runs it just fine.