Lighting laws just for Sidecarflip

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Re: Rear hazard lights on l185

Another thread ruined by Flipper because he can’t just answer the OP’s question and doesn’t know as much as he claims to. Yes most tractors use Amber lights on the fenders and/or cab roof facing both forward and back for turn signals and 4 way flashers for traveling down the road. Most manufacturers have put them on from the factory since the 70’s. Most also have red marker lights on the fenders facing back that come one when headlights are turned on, starting in the 80’s. They also either have reflectors or lenses on the lights that act as reflectors.
I would buy a pair of lights like these and mount them on the fenders. https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-Wate...1563106542&s=gateway&sprefix=amber+tur&sr=8-9
Then buy a LED compatibile flasher to run it. It can either be one made to plug into a socket or have a pigtail to hard wire in. Make sure you have a triangle Slow Moving Vehicle Sign on the back and you should be safe to go.

I didn't ruin the thread and I did answer the OP's question. Amber flashing lights facing to the rear and I enforced that premise with pictures, something I don't really like doing (taking pictures and posting them).

I'm in a different realm of tractoring that most of you are. I farm not fiddle around playing with tractors. They are tools for me. Tools to farm with and make money with (hopefully, depending on the weather)

My lenses all have reflective inserts in them (red and amber) but only for reflected light and certainly not for roading between fields or running after sunset.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

I don't. Not interested.
By not checking it out, your just making yourself sound even more ignorant. Because my references were from the actual ag laws for the old tractors. Not a bicycle like you referenced earlier ;)

IC 9-19-6-11 Farm equipment and tractors manufactured before July 1, 2006
Sec. 11. (a) This section does not apply to:
(1) an implement of husbandry; or
(2) a farm tractor;
manufactured after June 30, 2006.
(b) A farm tractor and a self-propelled farm equipment unit or an implement of agriculture designed to be operated primarily in a farm field or on farm premises, if operated on a highway and not equipped with an electric lighting system, must at all times required by IC 9-21-7-2 be equipped with the following:
(1) At least one (1) lamp displaying a white light visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the front of the vehicle.
(2) At least one (1) lamp displaying a red light visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear of the vehicle.
(3) Two (2) red reflectors visible from a distance of one hundred (100) feet to six hundred (600) feet to the rear when illuminated by the upper beams of head lamps.
The lights required by this subsection must be positioned so that one (1) lamp showing to the front and one (1) lamp or reflector showing to the rear will indicate the furthest projection of the tractor, unit, or implement on the side of the road used in passing the vehicle.
(c) A combination of farm tractor and towed unit of farm equipment or implement of agriculture designed to be operated primarily in a farm field or on farm premises, if operated on a highway and not equipped with an electric lighting system, must at all times required by IC 9-21-7-2 be equipped with two (2) red reflectors that meet the following requirements:
(1) Are visible from a distance of one hundred (100) feet to six hundred (600) feet to the rear when illuminated by the upper beams of head lamps.
(2) Are mounted in a manner so as to indicate as nearly as practicable the extreme left and right rear projections of the towed unit or implement on the highway.
(d) A farm tractor and a self-propelled unit of farm equipment or an implement of agriculture designed to be operated primarily in a farm field or on farm premises, if operated on a highway and equipped with an electric lighting system, must at all times required by IC 9-21-7-2 be equipped with the following:
(1) Two (2) single-beam or multiple-beam head lamps meeting the requirements of section 20 or 21 of this chapter or IC 9-21-7-9.
(2) Two (2) red lamps visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear, or in the alternative one (1) red lamp visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear and two (2) red reflectors visible from a distance of one hundred (100) feet to six hundred (600) feet to the rear when illuminated by the upper beams of head lamps.
The red lamps or reflectors must be mounted in the rear of the farm

tractor or self-propelled implement of agriculture so as to indicate as nearly as practicable the extreme left and right projections of the vehicle on the highways.
(e) A combination of farm tractor and towed farm equipment or towed implement of agriculture designed to be operated primarily in a farm field or on farm premises, if operated on a highway and equipped with an electric lighting system, must at all times required by IC 9-21-7-2 be equipped as follows:
(1) The farm tractor element of each combination must be equipped with two (2) single-beam or multiple-beam head lamps meeting the requirements of section 20 or 21 of this chapter or IC 9-21-7-9.
(2) The towed unit of farm equipment or implement of agriculture element of each combination must be equipped with the following:
(A) Two (2) red lamps visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear, or as an alternative one (1) red lamp visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear.
(B) Two (2) red reflectors visible from a distance of one hundred (100) feet to six hundred (600) feet to the rear when illuminated by the upper beams of head lamps.
The red lamps or reflectors must be located so as to indicate as nearly as practicable the extreme left and right rear projections of the towed unit or implement on the highway.
(3) A combination of farm tractor and towed farm equipment or towed implement of agriculture equipped with an electric lighting system must be equipped with the following:
(A) A lamp displaying a white or an amber light, or any shade of color between white and amber visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the front.
(B) A lamp displaying a red light visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear.
The lamps must be installed or capable of being positioned so as to indicate to the front and rear the furthest projection of that combination on the side of the road used by other vehicles in passing that combination.
(f) A farm tractor, a self-propelled farm equipment unit, or an implement of agriculture must not display blinding field or flood lights when operated on a highway.
(g) All rear lighting requirements may be satisfied by having a vehicle with flashing lights immediately trail farm equipment in accordance with IC 9-21-7-11.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7. Amended by P.L.1-1991, SEC.91; P.L.127-1995, SEC.1; P.L.148-2005, SEC.1; P.L.210-2005, SEC.29; P.L.1-2006, SEC.161.
IC 9-19-6-11.3
Implements of husbandry and farm tractors; required equipment when manufactured after June 30, 2006, and operated on a

highway

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Really impressed you looked that up, really am. Now that you did that, how about some pictures of local producers rototilling their fields (fitting) prior to planting, I really want to see that one....:)

In the other thread, the OP wanted to know what he (or she) needed to be legal when driving on the shoulder of a public road (or in the middle for that matter) and I answered and was countered by the usual 'you don't know shitte' comments, so I reinforced my comment with pictures of some of my equipment and the 'approved' lighting.

Bottom line here is, AMBER rear (and forward) facing flashers for daytime running on a public road at slow speed. RED facing rearward for after sunset running (running and brake lights but accompanied with AMBER flashing lights.

Never put a 'spin' on anything other than my statement that you might be a 'guru' with mechanical issues and repair but you really don't have a clue about farming. Why when I have a question, I PM you because you always have the correct answer. In this case, you don't and I substantiated that with pictures, even though I prefer not to.

Don't really care one way or another. I conduct my business which isn't hobby tractoring, and you conduct yours. Tractors to me are tools to accomplish what I need to do, nothing more. They aren't toys to play with. I prefer to play with my wife, lots more fun.

I consider tractors under 30 horsepower as just expensive toys for people with excess spendable income. I'm glad Kubota sells a bunch of them. Me, I'm not in the market (and never will be) for one, especially a filthy used one....lol

Have to go wash down my 'filthy' equipment now and put them in the barn, except for the open station unit which will get hooked to the bat wing, I need to do some chopping today

Have a great day and keep on rototilling....:D

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire

Flipper, you are ruining the thread, just like all the other threads you are posting to because you turn them from answering the OP’s question to bragging about how you are a supposed farmer. Just answer the questions if you want to contribute and stop. Don’t Add all the BS about how you think you are better than anyone else on here and how you think you are the biggest farmer around, which you aren’t. I could post the stats of my farm that I co-owned with my relatives before being permanently disabled that would blow your’s out of the water, but I won’t because this GREAT Forum is about sharing information and helping each other to solve problems and get advice about the Kubotas we each have and use.

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.

I didn't post for a fight among us, please stop! I wanted to know about hazard lights.And what some did.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Here we have a poster who has been on the forum less than a year and has over 2300 post. The post are often not helping the question being asked, but go off in another direction. He tells us of his ailments and his knowledge of everything, even when not asked. Like he's trying to impress others, or make sure others know his life experiences, what he owns, what he does.

He's not a tech who deals with tractors every day like several on here. He repeatedly degrades tractor owners with smaller tractors or those with newer tractors meeting the latest tier 4 requirements, or anyone who disagrees with him. He continually reminds us of his haying operation, how he generates an income, his dislike of mowing grass, dirty equipment, his dislike of snow, states opinions as fact about subjects like zero turns and flail mowers.....and on and on.

It's like a person needing attention, perhaps once again to impress others with a higher thread count.

Maybe a solution would be to have a thread where all the knowledge, opinions, experiences, and information often repeated would be in one location. Then a link to that thread could be posted and we wouldn't have to see the repeated negative stories so much.

The answer to the OP question is stated and yet disagreements continue.....

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
That lawyers shouldn't write specifications:eek:
Too bad there isn't an herbicide for lawyers! :D Not to eliminate them completely, but something that would retard them and keep them in check.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I consider tractors under 30 horsepower as just expensive toys for people with excess spendable income. D

Then why are you here?

Just to be a miserable prick?

You really need to do some self introspection and figure out why you are so miserable in life.

Frankly nobody really cares that you’re a big-time farmer know it all.

A good majority of the members here are BX owners and are very happy with their purchase.

Excessive spendable income???

I doubt it pal.

As far as the lights go,
It doesn’t matter if Kubota puts amber lights on the back or not.

The law is the law.

If the law says you need red lights in the back,
You install red lights.

Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Another interesting comment from someone who obviously don't know. One, I wasn't negative about anything.

I did post pictures of my equipment and AMBER rear facing hazard lights (forward as well).

My comment was simply to be legal on a public road you are required to have AMBER hazard lights illuminated when traveling during DAYLIGHT hours.

You seem to want to make a mountain out of a molehill and that is fine but I'll disregard your inane comments.

The OP stated he got stopped by LE for not having legal lighting on the back. All I did was simply illustrate what is LEGAL to have.

Nothing more, nothing less.
I forgot to add (but I have them on all my implements and tractors is a SMV triangle) with reflective material on it.

I like this forum quite a bit, I don't like the condescending attitude of keyboard Rambo's, you included.

If you cannot comment something positive, don't comment at all.

Most everyone on here don't do what I do (farm). There are a couple that do and interestingly, they are not on here making negative comments.

Again, the OP asked what is required. I stated that with pictures.

I have to go clean equipment now, have a nice day playing with your keyboard.

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.

Since the people involved can't behave themselfs I have asked to have this thread locked. Thanks for any help that I have recieved.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

Since the people involved can't behave themselfs I have asked to have this thread locked. Thanks for any help that I have recieved.
Shooter -

Trust me on this one; the course this thread took had nothing to do with you.

You asked an honest, simple question.

I think/hope the correct answer is in there somewhere?!?!? :eek:

(I didn't or won't read it all....the Mrs. wants my blood pressure in check...:rolleyes:)

Last edited:

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh

Hi guys!

Been AFK for a bit moving dirt with ye olde BX23S. Everyone good n' at?

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock

Another interesting comment from someone who obviously don't know. One, I wasn't negative about anything.
Oh NO??

We have all seen you say the same things over and over again about folks who own smaller tractors. It's an attitude and frankly a crappy attitude.

If you don't want to buy a small tractor, don't buy one.

NO need to make smart azz comments about anyones income.

like I said, YOU need to look in the mirror.

Originally Posted by SidecarFlip
I consider tractors under 30 horsepower as just expensive toys for people with excess spendable income

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
Technically they are both right. Red for rear, amber for front all motor vehicles on the road. Yellow flashing is turn or hazard can be used on both front and rear. Just like a tow truck or in this case a tractor. Hope I didn't just step in a pile of s**t. :)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
We've all dealt with this long enough!
I've gotten a long list of complaints, from a long list of people, about situations just like this.

I think the time has come to start deleting posts and threads that are:
Demeaning
Off subject
Bragging
Boasting
Belittling
or simply not relevant to the OP's.

We don't want to read how only bigger "real" ag tractors can get a job done.
We don't want to hear how we have no Idea what we are talking about.
We don't want to read about the "I'm a real farmer and you're not".
We don't want to here how we spend too much money, or how we don't make as much as you, or how we were foolish to buy something.
We don't want to keep hearing how or this or that does not match up to your this or that.
We don't want to hear how you've been there and done that in every single trade known to mankind, and how many businesses you own or operate.

Any and all complaints on this will be dealt with actively.
If anyone has a complaint on a thread, especially with the above actions noted, please send me a PM.
North Idaho Wolfman

There will be no warning or reasonings given, they will just simply be deleted!
Enough said!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
We've all dealt with this long enough!
I've gotten a long list of complaints, from a long list of people, about situations just like this.

I think the time has come to start deleting posts and threads that are:
Demeaning
Off subject
Bragging
Boasting
Belittling
or simply not relevant to the OP's.

We don't want to read how only bigger "real" ag tractors can get a job done.
We don't want to hear how we have no Idea what we are talking about.
We don't want to read about the "I'm a real farmer and you're not".
We don't want to here how we spend too much money, or how we don't make as much as you, or how we were foolish to buy something.
We don't want to keep hearing how or this or that does not match up to your this or that.
We don't want to hear how you've been there and done that in every single trade known to mankind, and how many businesses you own or operate.

Any and all complaints on this will be dealt with actively.
If anyone has a complaint on a thread, especially with the above actions noted, please send me a PM.
North Idaho Wolfman

There will be no warning or reasonings given, they will just simply be deleted!
Enough said!
Thank you. Your work as a moderator is appreciated.