L Series wheels breaking

Grayskull

Jul 13, 2019
Conway NH US
I recently had a conversation over the rear rims on an L Series breaking (cracking) at the lugs. As luck would have it there is one here for service that is showing signs of deterioration at 58 hrs.
My experience in the repair field is quite extensive yet I am only one year into Kubota service.
The wheel in this case is a two piece with a 17.5L-24 loaded R4.
So my questions are...Is there an issue with the torque settings on the lug bolts?
My knowledge of spring washers tells me that they can loosen with the type of stress that a wheel would apply on the load value of the bolt.
The next question would be...Why does this particular machine not have flat washers accompanying the spring washers as other machines do?
I welcome any advice or question, pls be patient for a response as I also need to be putting hay up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I recently had a conversation over the rear rims on an L Series breaking (cracking) at the lugs. As luck would have it there is one here for service that is showing signs of deterioration at 58 hrs.
My experience in the repair field is quite extensive yet I am only one year into Kubota service.
The wheel in this case is a two piece with a 17.5L-24 loaded R4.
So my questions are...Is there an issue with the torque settings on the lug bolts?
My knowledge of spring washers tells me that they can loosen with the type of stress that a wheel would apply on the load value of the bolt.
The next question would be...Why does this particular machine not have flat washers accompanying the spring washers as other machines do?
I welcome any advice or question, pls be patient for a response as I also need to be putting hay up.
You need to be a little more specific as to the model, not all L's are made up the same way.
If you have wheel cracks at such low hours, then the most likely cause is that the lugs were not torqued properly from the very start.

Slippery slope if your a dealership mechanic, telling your boss that's what went wrong is not going to get you any brownie points, as they should have caught that in the PDI.

I've seen some units that it's not the steel cracking it's just the paint that cracked when the lugs were first tightened, so look closely for that too, that's an easy fix with a Roloc disk cleanup and a spray can! ;)