Wondering how Trump's tariff's on India will impact Mahindra?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I wonder. I bet the price of Mahindra tractors goes way up. No way will they absorb the surcharge, Not that I'd buy one anyway. For one thing, none are big enough power wise for my needs and secondly, I've read some horrible reviews on them.

I also see they are in the midst of a trade dress suit with Fiat-Chrysler over their jeep look alike off road vehicle.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It will all level out sooner than later, not that it much matters to me at this time, a few pennies here or there isnt enough to get your panties in a wad over

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
When you are talking about a 10 grand machine, pennies turn into dollars quickly at a 25% tariff rate. My panties are never in a wad nor is my dress blown up. Kubota, being Japanese in ancestry and manufacture (the big ones come from Osaka, are exempt from a tariff at least for now. Not sure about the big AG tractors that are European in build (Unverferth). Could be an embargo on them but in as much as I',m not in the market for one, that is moot.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I have a lot less problem with a Japanese company manufacturing tractors in Japan and selling them in the US (Kubota) than I have with a US company, manufacturing tractors in India, and then selling them in the US (Deere).

It hurts now, but these tariffs are a correct approach this country has sorely needed for some time.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Remember on the Kubota: If its orange, it's made in the USA. The drivetrain comes in assembled and palletized to Georgia. As I understand it, they sub out all the other parts and those get painted beautiful ORANGE! (Except for the seat and 'tars of course!)

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Hmm..my 2018 MX and 2019 L2501 both say "Made in Japan" on the serial tag.

Even then I noticed the loader cylinders are made in China.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Remember on the Kubota: If its orange, it's made in the USA. The drivetrain comes in assembled and palletized to Georgia. As I understand it, they sub out all the other parts and those get painted beautiful ORANGE! (Except for the seat and 'tars of course!)
They actually come into the Port of Savanah and are trucked to the plant. The bigger ones are shipped 2, to a container and one set of wheels is taken off so they fit (so I'm told). Not sure about the European ones, how they ship.

Was at my NH dealer yesterday, picking up new knives for my NH Discbine and they sell Kioti's. Just cannot warm up to them.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Deere isn't solely indian. They were outsourcing a lot of their loader frames from a Chinese company as far back as 1998 (that I can remember), transmission stuff from Yazoo (Husqvarna-swedish), engines were mostly japanese (yanmar), with supporting hardware from all over the rest of the world. Some of the seats came from Bangladesh (explains a lot). Deere not what it used to be; and way too much plastic.

The tariffs are going to hurt initially but HOPEFULLY they do what they're designed to do.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
John Deere has a huge plant in Mannheim, Germany. I think they build engines and complete tractors there. My wife and I have a mutual friend who works there (Is a German citizen). he comes here every 2 years to take classes in Moline, Illinois. They used to have an assembly plant in Horicon, Wisconsin where they assembled the tractors under 40 horsepower. I used to contract haul them from that plant to dealers all over the east. My wife would go along and we always stayed at the 'Horicon Hilton' motel while they live loaded the trailer.

Nice folks up there. Loads always paid very well too.

I believe Deere sources parts and assemblies worldwide. I would not be at all surprised if Kubota did too.