2019 Lower Horsepower ratings

Mattj88

Equipment
BX1880
Aug 22, 2018
Lewiston,Maine
Just took delivery of my new 2019 BX1880 yesterday, and I couldn’t help but notice that in 2019 all Kubota’s under 26hp have had their Horsepower ratings lowered? My 1880 went from 18 to 16.6 the GR2120 went from 21 to 17hp. Does anyone know the reason for this? New emissions equipment maybe? Kind of funny that only the tractors that don’t require a DPF are the ones that changed.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My understanding is that the physical tractor and power hasn't changed at all, but that Kubota have changed the measurement methodology.

I believe that the ways to measure tractor horsepower aren't entirely standard, and that perhaps Kubota have been more generous than they could have been with their measures. Having said that, it also seems to leave the way open for Kubota to put more horses into their tractors whilst staying under the mandated emissions HP limits - i.e. if the B2601 is now deemed to have 23.5HP, then they can add another 2.5 HP to it and still be under the emissions limit. That'd be convenient from where I'm sitting.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
MHO is that it is something to do with the EPA rating, there maybe something in the pipeline we have not heard about yet

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Makes sens to me. Horsepower ratings are just a benchmark anyway.

Mattj88

Equipment
BX1880
Aug 22, 2018
Lewiston,Maine
Horsepower ratings are governed by the SAE and their specs all still say horsepower is according to SAE1995 standard. But that being said Kubota could be “lowering” all its hp to avoid incoming emissions standards.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not sure what 'incoming emissions standard' refer to. Tier 4 Final is just that. The final mandate that causes manufacturers pain and end users grief.

Until the technology catches up to the emissions hardware there will be grief for the end user. Once technology catches up and surpasses the mandate, diesel engines will become like modern gasoline engines. Stone reliable, power producers with no emissions.

Until then, the end user gets to bear the 'issues' of the mandate.

Far as the SAE standard for developed horsepower, that all depends on who is doing the testing. I kind of go by the Nebraska tests when it comes to drawbar pull and developed pto power, though not always. Both my tractors are rated at 80 pto horsepower but my seat of the pants measurement tells me it's more than that.

I go by 2 standards, torque rise, which is the ability for the engine to assume a load without laboring and the amount and quantity of black smoke that comes out the exhaust stack. Most times, my exhaust is clean but when I really put a load on them, like heavy mowing wit the bat wing, I can make them smoke which to me is a good indicator of how hard the engine is working. My engines are turbocharged so the turbo adds to the 'felt torque rise as it provides a positive intake pressure and crams more charge air into the cylinders. More combustion air equals more torque and horsepower, at last to the point where the wastegate opens and controls the intake charge from over boosting the engine.

With a Tier 4 final engine, there is no smoke because the 'smoke' which is soot, is contained in the DPF and gets cremated during regeneration and eventually has to be removed (when the DPF becomes full of cremated soot). Consequently, the 'seat of the pants', torque rise comes into play.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Did the torque numbers go down significantly too?

HP is just Torque x RPM in basic terms so perhaps they have lowered the operating engine speeds.

Dave

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I remember when small engines USED to be sold by the HP ,the 'new standard ' is displacement. It's a marketing and legal thing. someone probably sued B&S that their 6.5 HP engine only produce 6.4HP. Displacement is a constant. Now I just take the nuber and divide by 30 to get HP. IE: 270cc /30 = 9 HP.

I've always wondered why 'tractors' ,like my BX23S MUST have ROPS meanwhile the 60MPH ATV doesn't.