Pole Barn Preparation - On Going Discussion

Keeth1123

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Dec 13, 2018
Sunshine state
Tossing around ideas and thoughts about an upcoming pole barn area which I want to put in. The project will take some time and is not something that has a set timeframe of completion.

Currently, the placement of choice for the barn will be on the northwest corner of a piece of property. This corner does have a slope to it and the slop would end at the area of the barn. for this reason, some of the dirt will have to be moved or the barn will have to be built slightly higher than the rest of the ground. I also need to put a driveway in to have access to the barn area. I am thinking I can use the dirt which gets dug out from cutting in the driveway to build the barn pad up higher.

Does anyone else have an open pole barn with a gravel or asphalt milling floor? I am looking at a pole barn that is quite large and will most likely have six bays. I also would like a smaller closed in shop area off one side.

I am wanting to put the asphalt millings in and hopefully not have any issues. Here in Florida, the soil is very soft. I was thinking of cutting it down six inches for the base rock. The millings would be put on top and would finish a couple inches or so above the remainder of the land.

I am looking to be able to use both sides of the barn to back boats etc in from both side. Also, one bay will be used to hold a large 5th wheel. For this I will probably need an area used to back the 5th wheel into the bay. Does anyone have anything like this that can share some pictures?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Keep one thing in mind, your real estate assessment will increase, how much will depend on the assessor.

I put up a 45 x 15 x 100 foot long Clearspan Truss Arch building with roll up overhead doors on each end but because there are no 'poles' in the ground (just earth anchors in concrete every 8 feet) there is no tax assessment at all because it's considered a 'portable' building and the cost per erected square foot is about 1/3rd of a pole building.

It's on a side to side slope so I had a company come in prior to erection and laser shoot the slope and back fill it level.

Been up over 15 years now and no issues what so ever. I keep all my farm equipment inside, some round bales, my RV and a few cats.

Pole building are nice but they come at a price and keep on giving with increased taxes.