sad end to my L225 (maybe?)

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
adopted a former renter as his life went nuts and no longer could pay rent. Attempted to keep him busy around the house including maintenance when his brain seems to be firing on all cylinders.... sometimes it misfires mid task.... ok.... it often misfires mid task. Add my own stupidity and well....... laughter chaos and.... well disaster.

apparently somewhere between my stupidity and a missfire moment; water was used in the radiator..... oil was serviced fine (thank god)

well it's cold now..... you can figure out the rest.

He came to me while plowing snow and complaing hydraulics would not work. tractor was running... little smoke on one side... Went out there to see smoke was coming out of the MISSING freeze plug. I yanked the back blade off..... and backed up to the yard and parked her. Engine did not seem to care.

I suspect hydraulics did not work from being too hot....... suspect if I put new freeze plug and then coolant in it.... it will all go into the cylinders.

more worried about roommate though... its real hard to watch some ones mind go..... but when your cognizant enough still to be watching your own mind go..... you can imagine the depression that causes. In about a month he moves to FL to be with family; whom he does not get along with well..... they don't understand .... he basically (for lack of any better explanation) is like a person with early onset alzheimer's. He's 39.

PS- will an 1105 diesel replace an 1100 diesel like in my tractor? there is one for sale local?

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Coach, sorry to hear about your room mate and the tractor.

Don't know how cold it's been, but the first thing I'd try is to put a torpedo heater on the engine to warm it up. Then remove the lower radiator hose to see what and how much comes out. Put a freeze plug in (only a couple of dollars at a dealer, or a rubber plug as a temporary test), add some antifreeze and see what happens. Perhaps the freeze plug did it's job. You may be surprised!!

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
Yup, couldn't hurt to put a plug back in and see what happens. Keep us posted.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
put new plug in a pressurized the system..... seems to hold.... but leaks out the plug slightly. Trying to remedy that.

soooo.

1. does that mean if it holds pressure (about 1.5 gal. water added back in) does that mean the hidden front freeze plug is still intact?

2. any suggestions on getting the NEW freeze plug to stop leaking. could not get it to stop leaking slightly (pisses out tiny stream... with little tapping here and there could get it at most to just steady drip at about 13lb pressure). Am using a locktite pressure fit sealant on the plug.

I've removed it to start over and try to reseat it... but not done so yet.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Coach, show us a picture of where the leaking plug is located.

If the cooling system is holding pressure it does indicate it is sealed and not leaking.

Is there a scored place where the leak is? Did you insert the correct freeze plug?

Maybe you could get by with one of those rubber plugs with the wing nut to tighten it up for at least a while.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Coach, show us a picture of where the leaking plug is located.

If the cooling system is holding pressure it does indicate it is sealed and not leaking.

Is there a scored place where the leak is? Did you insert the correct freeze plug?

Maybe you could get by with one of those rubber plugs with the wing nut to tighten it up for at least a while.
22mm freeze plug is what is called for and what used.

plug location is just to rear of the IP area on the block.... kind of hard to get too and no way to look and see if block is scored. There is a steel hydraulic line in the way.

will try to get pic

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
before and after pic. had a before pic from when discussing a block heater. Paper Towel is in there to transfer little more coolant out so level is lower and can then reinstall with no coolant in the area. Going to slap it thick with the sealant this time. Used light coating last time.

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
IMHO this freeze plug is not tight enough tolerance. Goes in too easy. Will see. going to wait 24hours for the sealant to do its thing

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
IMHO this freeze plug is not tight enough tolerance. Goes in too easy. Will see. going to wait 24hours for the sealant to do its thing
If you've already inserted the plug once, leaked, pulled it added more sealant and tried to reuse it, it won't seal, freeze plugs are only good for one use. ;)

Also If your driving it in using the center of the plug that will cause it to not seal also.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
So far so good. Before reading in here that the new freeze plug once put in and pulled back off could not be re-used..... I had already put it back in with more sealant around it.

tadaaaaaa........ it does not leak when pumped to 13lb of pressure. I believe the engine is 12lb?

here is my thoughts.....

. I suspect it will leak again at some point so I will watch it.
. there are several 22mm (equivalent) plugs... @ Oriely's all are a hair over 22.0
... the largest being 22.41.
... suspect this one ended up with was the 22.17 due to the loose fit in the first place.
...... no way could have deformed it pushing it in the first time by tapping it in with tool in middle and not on edges. it went in wayyy to easy for that. Probably why it worked just ok the second time, but with more sealant.
..... alternative plan in mind for shitz and grinz.. if this one had leaked again before going to get a rubber expanding one.. was to take NIW thought and reverse it... if taping it in could distort/pull edges inward..... was going to lay on a sheet of metal on the ground and whack it from the back side once to expand it the opposite direction.. maybe even making it a bit tighter lol.. didn't get to experiment with that though since she is holding now.

OK now off to get new battery, radiator hose, coolant, and Tractor tranny/hydraulic fluid.

Wish me luck in that in the end she got saved..... got so so much to do that really really needs the tractor's back blade NOW and later things where tractor is a must

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Well, that's good for now, but I'd be sure to have a temp. gauge installed and watch it constantly. One more error and you may have to repeat the thread title!

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Lot of L2x5's in here lately.

anyway.... Im delayed in trying to find a 90 degree short hose to replace my one radiator line. about to go looking again for plan C. Plan B failed and took my money with it grrrrr.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Lot of L2x5's in here lately.

anyway.... Im delayed in trying to find a 90 degree short hose to replace my one radiator line. about to go looking again for plan C. Plan B failed and took my money with it grrrrr.
If only there was a place to buy Kubota parts...:rolleyes:

HEHEHE! :p :D

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
as usual... ton of little PITA things...

. 40 bucks later.. 3 coolant hoses destroid trying to get one cut down too just right... you end up with one that sorta works.
.... extra hose clamp placed over the slight kink to round it out best as possible. Man that is a tight bend short hose that goes there.

. you do the "right thing" and go about repairing battery connections to prepare for replacment battery
... negative cable ends up too short after repairing
... Move the mount to chassis to a different place solves the problem.... if you had the right nut and bolt to do it lol. Hacked something up out of one of the removed battery terminals.

. Fill the coolant. and realize your parked down hill slightly so you gotta jack it up or?? to get it to burp the air out.

buttt she is running and so far not leaking.

will post coolant hose part number that worked, and what didn't work later

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I only there was a place to buy Kubota parts...:rolleyes:

HEHEHE! :p :D
not local and not quick enough to get a projects done in short amount of time ya have. Really didn't expect it to be an issue honestly.. Lot of automotive oem hoses have a 90 in them... But appears they are actually just shy of 90.

PS... Never seen a Rock Auto, but have heard of them. Thought it was Canadian?

Last edited: