B2650 Owners - Anyone Tow Their Campers Around Property ?

WarZ

May 19, 2019
Concord, NY, USA
I've been reading analyzing and test driving tractors in my area for the last year. For my uses and what I consider a comfortably sized machine for me and my purposes, I want to buy a B2650.

However, I have one task that I have concerns as to whether I will be able to perform with it. I Have a 29' camper / travel trailer that weighs 4500 lbs dry weight. Might weight up to 5000 pounds loaded up. Tongue weight should be no more than 600lbs. So it's heavy but not too heavy. I was going to buy the 3pt hitch ball adapter frame (can't remember the correct name). My property has a slight grade across it, but it's not bad. I would go through one small dip going into the woods, but it's probably only 20 ft long and not really steep at all. Grass and dirt trails.

I suspect that the tractor will be able to pull the trailer effectively. But I don't know for sure power-wise. I know for weight the tractor will be a touch small for the purpose. But again the terrain I'm running shouldn't pose a serious problem in terms of the the trailer pushing me around.

Manual says the B2650 can handle 1100 lbs on the draw bar, and can tow 3300 lbs not including trailer. So I feel spec-wise I'm in the ball park.

So the question is for current B2650 owners to see if anyone tows this size weight trailer around their property effectively ?

To note, my 2nd choice of tractor in a larger size is going to be an L3901 or a CK4010H. I feel like they are a little big for what I want to do, besides the trailer pull. If I must I will go bigger, but I honestly don't want to at this time.

Thanks !
I appreciate the feedback.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I move our Jayco 29BHS around our yard with my B2920. I have a receiver hitch on the 3 point hitch. We have a gravel pad in our lower yard that we store for the winter that has a fairly steep hill down to it and I use it to bring it up to the house to pack for trips. Easier than hooking the truck up and it handles it fine.

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
I move my 30 foot boat which is over 10k with trailer and fuel.
Just moved it today, I use a 3 point hitch ball mount.
boat with tractor 2.jpg

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I move my boat around all the time with mine. But my boat/trailer is likely around 4500 lbs. The B2650 handles it easily, no sweat at all.

I do not tow it with the draw bar. I use the pallet fork frame with a 2" receiver built into it. To me, its so much easier towing/pushing trailers using the loader. You can put any trailer exactly where you want it. The other advantage is that if you get into trouble, you can easily drop the loader onto the ground as an emergency brake.

You should be fine. If it gets hairy, keep the tractor in 4wd. That way, if you apply the brake, you'll still have braking effort on any wheel/tire that has contact with the ground.

WarZ

May 19, 2019
Concord, NY, USA
I move my 30 foot boat which is over 10k with trailer and fuel.
Just moved it today, I use a 3 point hitch ball mount.
View attachment 42981
With that 10k boat, do you move it on gravel / firm surfaces only ? Through grass etc ? Inclines ? Does the b2650 struggle at all with that kind of load ?

I am greatly encouraged by your responses all. I was unsure if moving my trailer would be highly stressful on the tractor if it moved it at all. From the responses it sounds like "no problem, the tractor is not stressed, and it does the job well".

Thanks !

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
By the way, I used to move the same boat (4500) with my BX23. But I kept the hoe on the back for ballast. The little BX had no issue either.

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
With that 10k boat, do you move it on gravel / firm surfaces only ? Through grass etc ? Inclines ? Does the b2650 struggle at all with that kind of load ?

I am greatly encouraged by your responses all. I was unsure if moving my trailer would be highly stressful on the tractor if it moved it at all. From the responses it sounds like "no problem, the tractor is not stressed, and it does the job well".

Thanks !
I move both on concrete barn floor and gravel driveway, I am not sure if I had it on the grass.
I do have loaded tires.
No struggle at all in low, also in 4wd.
Today I had the rpm around 1,700 then got out lowered the rpm to idle, got back in and forgot to raise the rpm and continued moving it.
I havent tried it on a incline yet, I have a little bit of a edge going up onto the concrete and it and pushes over it no problem.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'm down a size, I move my 2600kg (approx 5500lb?) boat with my BX. I move it in low, and no issues at all. I use a 3ph tow ball, because it makes it easy to lift the trailer, and I like to lift the 3ph all the way up when turning to lift the front wheels on the tandem trailer - scuffs the driveway and the lawn less.

When I back into the ramp, and take my foot off the HST pedal it usually skids - the tractor isn't heavy enough to stop the boat that quickly on the ramp. But it does stop.

If I forget I have the 3ph right up, I sometimes drag the rear of the trailer over the brow of the boat ramp. Easy enough to avoid. And if I leave the 3ph all the way up for more than just turning, I can pull the front wheels of the tractor off the ground. Basic rule of towing with a tractor is to never tow from a point higher than the rear axle - as then it's pulling your front wheels off the ground. I regularly forget that on the 3ph, and it can get hairy. But even then, never enough to actually pull the tractor over, just enough to remind me to be careful.

In terms of hurting the tractor - way less load on the drive train than pulling a plow would be, or pulling a stump or any of a hundred tasks people do with tractors.

To me, it's purely a safety issue, and safety is heavily correlated with speed. Things that are safe done slowly can be very unsafe done fast.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I would like to add one thing to everyones comments in a different perspective. The axles, the knuckles, the front and rear diffs, steering linkages, etc. they all have a breaking point under a load. Just because it picked up the weight does not mean it was meant to. Prime example an old four wheeler held a weighted trailer and moved it around in my shop under its own power. Then the rear axle started grinding as the weight bent the axle. Just because the tires are rubber does not mean they will keep your tractor housings from cracking, breaking, or bending.

After reading all of the posts and experiences listed there seems to be a near miss category for each one. If I were to buy a tractor for a certain task I would definitely buy bigger than intended. An extra few thousand today is better than multiple thousands on trade in a few years. My two cents, take it for what it is worth.

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
I move my neighbors 4500lb camper as well. No issues. The biggest issue with the 3pt that I've ever seen is that when backing up the 3pt doesn't have a "power down" option. If the trailer for some reason wants to lift the tongue up it will do so. On a camper I don't see this as an issue compared to a trailer with lumber on it or something where the weight could be loaded incorrectly. I also have the front SSQA hitch and that works well except for turning sharp seems like it puts a lot of sideways force on the loader. I also have a b2650 with weighted tires. Never had an issue.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I move my neighbors 4500lb camper as well. No issues. The biggest issue with the 3pt that I've ever seen is that when backing up the 3pt doesn't have a "power down" option. If the trailer for some reason wants to lift the tongue up it will do so. On a camper I don't see this as an issue compared to a trailer with lumber on it or something where the weight could be loaded incorrectly. I also have the front SSQA hitch and that works well except for turning sharp seems like it puts a lot of sideways force on the loader. I also have a b2650 with weighted tires. Never had an issue.
My point I was making in my post above. Shear Force can break tractors. Next post by someone will be in the Repair Section on why the loader raises and lowers unequally. Not trying to put anyone’s tractor down on this thread. I am just trying to state that most people are putting their tractors and implements to the test. Think of it this way in an example. I had to buy a 2500HD to pull my new camper because the half ton couldn’t handle the load. We can grasp that idea but not the idea that a BX series can tow it around the yard just fine. Just something to think about to the original question. Talk to your tractor salesman and get the facts.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
My point I was making in my post above. Shear Force can break tractors. Next post by someone will be in the Repair Section on why the loader raises and lowers unequally. Not trying to put anyone’s tractor down on this thread. I am just trying to state that most people are putting their tractors and implements to the test. Think of it this way in an example. I had to buy a 2500HD to pull my new camper because the half ton couldn’t handle the load. We can grasp that idea but not the idea that a BX series can tow it around the yard just fine. Just something to think about to the original question. Talk to your tractor salesman and get the facts.
You are kind of going off the rails of the OP’s original question. He isn’t talking about going down the road at 65mph, using a 4 wheeler or moving it every day several times a day, or any other abusive moves. He is talking about an occasional use for relatively short time. If he goes slow and careful he will have no problems moving the camper with a B2650.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
You are kind of going off the rails of the OP***8217;s original question. He isn***8217;t talking about going down the road at 65mph, using a 4 wheeler or moving it every day several times a day, or any other abusive moves. He is talking about an occasional use for relatively short time. If he goes slow and careful he will have no problems moving the camper with a B2650.
I do not believe I went off track he specified a tractor he was looking at could handle a total load of 3300 lbs. His camper is 5000. I was trying to add a different perspective as everyone has their own comfort zone. Just because one person would know what to do if things went south, another might not and that could lead to injury or death. Pardon me for caring for someone elses well being. I have expressed my opinion to the OP and now I am finished with this thread. Have a wonderful day.

Last edited: