Trying to decide - B2601 or B2650

dexterous

Equipment
B2650
Apr 30, 2019
Grove City, PA
Guys,

I have 13 acres of mostly woods and just enough grass for a push mower (no tractor mowing needed). The property has lots of water issues and trails that need constant maintenance. I also have 200 yard long, crushed limestone driveway with a large parking lot like area near my garage

I currently own a BX23S front loader / backhoe combo and it works really well but its a bit small for what I do. I purchased my BX in 2017 because I thought I wanted a small tractor that could fit into tight places. This happens on occasion but I am more often wishing for a machine with more loader/backhoe power.

I almost exclusively use the font loader and backhoe (no mowing). My very near-term projects include digging a hole for a swimming pool, digging several ditches, driveway maintenance with 2A stone and digging a deep garage addition footer. If I had a machine that could do it, I would also dig up a few stumps around the house as needed. In the winter, I blow my driveway with a rear blade but at 200 yards, wet, heavy snow can be a challenge.

I would just go for the 2650 but I am a bit concerned that I will find it physically too big to easily drive through the woods. ON the other hand, I am worried that there wont be enough difference between the BX23S and the BX2601. I suppose I could cut a few trees and widen my trails if needed but I would only do that if I couldn't get past.

Any thoughts and advice are welcome! Thanks.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
This may sound ridiculous, but I did it when trying to decide on the mower deck size of my ZTR. I cut a piece of bamboo the width of the wider of my options, and just walked my property in the areas of concern. It didn't take long to find out what was too wide.

As for tractors, I was looking between the B2650 and the L2501. The B actually had more ground clearance and tighter turn radius, so it fit better in the woods. For what it's worth, I've not had any issues in the trees with my 2650. Mine is also used for primarily loader and backhoe work, no mowing, and I couldn't be happier. Good luck with your decision.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
If I'm not mistaken, you can get a 54" bucket on either tractor if the concern is for width. I think the larger B still maneuvers pretty well and you can always use the split brakes on the rear (not sure how that is really used on an L series). I have very wet property here as well, and knew that I didn't want the extra weight of the L.

I will tell you that the hoes are pretty different between the B'01 and B'50 series. The BH77 is a much better hoe (IMO) than on the smaller B. It has more reach and will also swing a full 180 degrees. The smaller B series hoe can not swing 180. It sounds like you'll be using the hoe extensively, so I'd suggest that you think about those limitations.

I too used to have a bx23 (older version) and contemplated the B2601. When parked side by side, it just wasn't enough of a size difference to go with the smaller B. I don't think the cost difference between the two B series machines is really all that much...maybe $1,500?

Best of luck to you in your decision.

dexterous

Equipment
B2650
Apr 30, 2019
Grove City, PA
If I'm not mistaken, you can get a 54" bucket on either tractor if the concern is for width. I think the larger B still maneuvers pretty well and you can always use the split brakes on the rear (not sure how that is really used on an L series). I have very wet property here as well, and knew that I didn't want the extra weight of the L.

I will tell you that the hoes are pretty different between the B'01 and B'50 series. The BH77 is a much better hoe (IMO) than on the smaller B. It has more reach and will also swing a full 180 degrees. The smaller B series hoe can not swing 180. It sounds like you'll be using the hoe extensively, so I'd suggest that you think about those limitations.

I too used to have a bx23 (older version) and contemplated the B2601. When parked side by side, it just wasn't enough of a size difference to go with the smaller B. I don't think the cost difference between the two B series machines is really all that much...maybe $1,500?

Best of luck to you in your decision.

I agree, the cost difference of $1500 on near $30k is not even part of the decision making process. However, the ability to swing the backhoe boom a full 180 would make life MUCH easier for me. I cant tell you how often this comes up today with my BX23S.

Forester23

Equipment
B2601, LA434 FEL, Land Pride SGC0554 grapple, Land Pride 1560 Box Scraper
Apr 23, 2019
Crescent City Ca
Last fall when I was looking for a replacement for my well used B6100 many of these same concerns cam into play. I decided on the B2601 because it was a bit smaller and not quite as tall. All of the existing trails were built with the old machine. The height of the 2650 would have put the operator in the area of the lower limbs of the trees. I did not need to keep fighting the lower limbs. The 2601 would also fit and maneuver better around the trees better.

If you are working a lot in the forest you should consider some type of grapple with a third function valve. It was well worth the investment.

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
I have the B2650. Maneuvering in the woods with the BH on can be a bit cumbersome due to the added length. With the BH off I've been able to do property maintenance, cut firewood, etc on many different properties and haven't had an issue. Most trails that are made for side by sides or ATV's are wide enough already for my 2650 to sneak through. The split brakes come in clutch. You can literally turn on a dime. Honestly if you want a "step up" from your bx you already have I would be considering the 2650 or an L. Since size is your concern the 2650 is perfect for you. I've removed some pretty big stumps with by BH as well. It takes a lot of time for the bigger ones but I have gotten all of them out. The 2650 also gets you into the ~1k lift capacity range so hauling those stumps away is actually possible.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Have you looked at a B26 TLB? If you are leaving the BH on all the time anyway, this is the machine to get. It is really easy to take off as well.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
I've been looking at the same choice, except I want a MMM as well. Haven't made the order yet, but I'm heavily leaning toward the B2650.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I wouldn't think the B2601 to be enough different if you're finding the BX too small. If the only barrier is it maybe being too big, then the suggestion to go measure is the right one. And as you said, you can always make the paths wider - I'd do that long before I'd compromise on size of the tractor, you'll always regret it. Taking down a few extra trees is a one time thing.

Paybax

Jan 22, 2019
Duncan, BC, Canada
I also bought a BX23s in 2017 and just bought a 2019
B26. It’s size is very similar to the BX but power is massively more and well so is the price. Height is almost the same with the ROPs up, it’s slightly longer and wider. Mainly due to the 48in vs 60in bucket on the front. Look up the specs on the Kubota website, physically more similar then I thought until I researched it. Lifting capacity is double the BX and the hoe is about 3-4 times more powerful but the best for me is the dozing power/traction due to the extra weight. When I get on my BX now it feels like a little toy.

I use it commercially and on my 16.5ac. Check my FB page for pics, Facebook.com/slentyhome

BravoMike

Mar 3, 2019
Colorado Springs
I just got a B2650 and I am able to maneuver through my trees with FEL and 6' MMM pretty easily. I have about 30 trees on 3 acres and haven't had any issues. I had the same questions about the B2601 and B2650. For the price difference and the amount of "upgrades" you get, I really liked the 50 series more. I know I have more tractor than I need but it gives me the ability to do more if I need to.

dexterous

Equipment
B2650
Apr 30, 2019
Grove City, PA
Thanks guys! I ordered my B2650 ROPS yesterday. I decided to split my purchase up a bit to save some $$$.

Here's what I ended up with:

From the Kubota Dealer:
B2650 ROPS
Front End Loader w/quick attach
3rd Function valve for FEL
60" Front bucket
Land Pride Pallet forks - PFL1242
Land pride grapple - SGC0660
BH77 Backhoe
Kubota backhoe thumb
Kubota 12" backhoe bucket
Kubota 24" backhoe bucket

From BXpanded:
Backhoe Quick Attach
Backhoe Ripper

From Tractor Supply:
6' Rear blade
5' Box blade

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Congrats, looks like you have all your bases covered and I don't think you will be disappointed.

Enjoy your new machine.

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
Congrats! I bet you're more excited than a kid on Christmas!

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I was recently torn in my tractor shopping between the B or the L2501. Everyone told me that if money isnt a huge issue, to always buy a little more tractor than you think you need, or you will regret it in years to come. I decided to do just that and went with the L2501. Basically the same horsepower, but has a physically larger engine and from what I read has more low end torque, etc etc. Im glad I went with the L now after doing some loader work and pulling a 5' box blade..... I wouldnt want to give up any power

Id recommend to you what everyone recommended to me - take the tractor that gives you the most power to tackle your jobs. Once you get it home, and you get several months into it, the worst thing that can happen is looking back thinking to yourself "Man I could use a little extra muscle here, but I gave it up over a few trees" You face the same dilemma I had when shopping though.Both the b2601 and 2650 are 26 horse power engines but the 2650 has the larger size engine, and typically means more torque. Id go with the 2650 if I were deciding between these 2. You have a small bx - so on this next purchase go a little bigger, get more power. in 3 or 4 years you may wish you had that extra low end grunt. That was my decision making path - and Im glad I stepped up into the L series and didnt take the B for my personal situation. Ive been surprised how manueverable the L series is. I actually put it in places I wouldnt have expected. Good turn radius, surprising power, The extra "size" just isnt as a big deal as I had made it out to be in my head when shopping now that ive put it to real world use.I dont know why I even considered going smaller now that I look back on it.