B6100 gear case cover removal

KeithBarney

Equipment
B7100HST with Woods LS-72 loader. B6100-HST-D and land pride grooming mower
May 17, 2009
Knoxville, MD
I am in the middle of disassembly to check / change the cam plug on my 1980 B6100E and am taking lots of pictures. I think I will have clearance to get the gear case cover off with the (undo most of the engine to front frame bolts and hinge the front of the motor up 2") trick but I have run into another thing that I am trying to figure out.

There is a lonesome 10mm bolt at the top of the gear case cover that is partially obstructed by the very bottom of the dynamo housing. The clearances look pretty tight to remove the dynamo.

How do I get access to that top gear case cover bolt?

KeithBarney

Equipment
May 17, 2009
Knoxville, MD
The mount for the dynamo has 6 nuts and the bottom center nut of that is obstructed by the gear case cover. The top center gear case cover bolt is obstructed by the bottom of the dynamo mount.

Do I try to carefully grind some material off of the dynamo mount with a dremel to get to that top-center gear case bolt?

KeithBarney

Equipment
May 17, 2009
Knoxville, MD
I heard from a gentleman named Charlie who had done this on his B6100 that it was all about a variety of 10mm wrenches and small fingers to reach the hard to get at bolts on the gear case.

I just got the crank pulley off and the feather/woodruff key that was in the slot between the crank and the pulley seems pretty stubborn to extract from the end of the crank before I remove the gear case cover.

Any ideas or advise on removing the woodruff key?

I am concerned that if I don't extract the woodruff key it will destroy the front oil seal on the crank when I slide the gear case cover out.

-Keith

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Turn the crank so the key is straight up. Drip some kind of bolt loosener, ( I use pb blaster), on the key. Take a flat punch and lightly tap the key on the right side then the left, alternating from side to side several times. Take a flat chisel and lay it against the front edge, ( there is actually a taper under some of them,) and tap again. It should rise up out of the hole. If it's not a rounded woodruff key, but a square one, then do the side to side taps and then put vise grips on the part of the key that's sticking up and have someone pull up while you tap the front square edge of the key. If it doesn't come out the let it set with the pb blaster on it.

KeithBarney

Equipment
May 17, 2009
Knoxville, MD
Thanks, The vice-grip and flat chisel combination did the trick and I got the key out of the crank!
:)

I had hit up Charlie, a local guy selling a B6100 on CL who advertised that he had just changed the cam plug on the B6100 that he was selling. I contacted him about his post and he gave advise on getting the gear case cover off.

After speaking on the phone with Charlie my shopping list for assembly time just got added three 'O' rings and some special magic gray sealant from the Kubota dealer.

He also recommended that I tack weld the new plug in place at the end of the camshaft instead of just drifting it in place.

Do you guys think I should also replace the crank oil seal on the gear case when I get the thing off? I'm just going through all this disassembly and it seems like if there are any other 30 year old small parts or seals associated with the cover this would be a good time to do them.

steve01

Equipment
B7100D with a B219 loader, B3548 mower
Jun 30, 2009
Lake, Mi.
The front crank seal is a 3 min. and $7.00 job while it is on the bench.........It took how long to get it off?:D

Last edited: