Lubing the LA 854 Lube and guns

Stumpuller

Equipment
Kubota GL 5240, Wicked Grapples, 1949 Case DC, IH 364, LP RCR1860
Oct 29, 2011
Wellston, OK, USA
Since lube is life to the FEL I've been looking at grease and grease guns.
Kubota does have their label on two grease tubes. The manual states a high quality exteme pressure grease containing molybdenum disulfide that may specify Moly EP. Question what other brands out there meet these requirements.
Also, when it comes to grease guns I have not seen any that state metric or S.A.E. for the fittings I assume I'm looking for a metric connection.

Or are new grease guns today a unversial fit??

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
Well, if I were you, I would just head to a good auto parts store. Me --- I use NAPA. Buy a decent grease gun --- no need to worry about SAE/Metric --- and a good tube of grease that meets your spec. You'll be set. The more important point, as you said, is to keep it grreased.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
As mentioned, no need for SAE/Metric the tips are adjustable for the proper fit. I get my grease by the case from our local bulk supplier where we buy our fuel.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The more important point, as you said, is to keep it greased.
Agreed. And wipe off the excess grease..... the PO of my tractor was fanatical about keeping it well greased, but he never wiped off any of the old grease that is squeezed out. Years of this resulted in a 5" ball of fresh & dried grease, dirt, leaves, sticks, and the ocassional dead possum balled up around every greaseable joint. I spent many hours disassembling them & cleaning with solvents, putty knife, & scrapers to finally get them clean.
PITA.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
If you have $75 or so laying around (or maybe for Christmas) the Lincoln 1162 is a great grease gun. It is fast and holding down the trigger gives a continuous feed.

You do need to have an air compressor. If you have a portable air holding tank that will suffice for remote use. Harbor Freight sells them in steel and aluminum.

I have two Lincoln 1162s. One for tractor fittings and one for implements that use the black yuck.

Stumpuller

Equipment
Kubota GL 5240, Wicked Grapples, 1949 Case DC, IH 364, LP RCR1860
Oct 29, 2011
Wellston, OK, USA
Thanks, GWD, BruceAtlam, Triple R and Lil Foot. for the great advice. It's not often the family gets a new tractor. It's almost like a new grand child and you want to learn and be careful with the new 5240. Located a Lincoln 1162 It will be my Christmas stocking request.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I can certainly understand your excitement over getting a new tractor and the good thing is it just gets better the longer you have it and get more comfortable with it.

The GL Series is really nice and easy to maintain. We have a GL5030 which is somewhat similar. Messicks has a good section on maintenance which is a good supplement to your manual.

If you haven't already done it, the FEL is very easy to dismount/remount, it works the same on our 2660, 5030 and 8540 and makes the machine much more maneuverable.