loader joints rubbing paint off

300gr

Equipment
M7040
Aug 22, 2013
pickens county alabama
I noticed the loader control for the tilt of the bucket was harder than normal to actuate. The up and down is perfect. When inspecting the loader the pivot points on both sides have worn through the orange paint and there is metal to metal contact. When I checked the hydraulic fluid with the tractor running there was none on the dipstick. But when I shut it off and lowered the front end loader and checked again fluid bubbled out of the dipstick hole for a second. It was slightly foamy. Any ideas as to what's causing the binding and fluid issues?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Well, the rubbing off of paint between two moving parts is something that will happen. Cram a little sand mud or gravel, will happen faster. So lowering implement with engine off will make bubbles and push oil,pump isnt helping distribute oil properly, letting oil out of one side, other has to vacum it in when engine is off.
Is level low after letting bubbles settle out?
Does loader control lever feel unusual? Like control doesent go into detent for float?
If it doesent have float then disregard question.
One more thing, check three point, make sure its not all the way up- will sap hydraulic power from other stuff

300gr

Equipment
M7040
Aug 22, 2013
pickens county alabama
Yes the loader control feels stiff for the bucket tilt position. There is very little resistance for the lift function. Hydraulic level is fine with engine off and rear blade and bucket on the front down.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Please give me the exact model of your tractor as the M7040 has 20 different versions and they all have different loader control setups. ;)

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't think that the lever being stiff or binding as anything to do with the rubbing issue.

First your controls are cable operated, you will need to remove the main control unit and lube the cables, that's usually the issue with binding and stiff controls.

Second what exact connection point is rubbing and wearing?

If you haven't done a fluid and filter change lately do that, but it doesn't sound like you have an issue, fluid will become agitated and foamy with normal use, the position of the loader when checking fluid doesn't mater, holds about the same amount of fluid in the up position and down ( ok the rams hold a little more in the up position, but not enough to worry about it)
Check the fluid level with the tractor off and you'll be fine.

LA1153S bucket link.JPG

Attachments

300gr

Equipment
M7040
Aug 22, 2013
pickens county alabama
Thanks!! Once I oiled the cable end at the control it worked like it should. I'm going to round up 3 buckets and change the hydraulic filters since its time .

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Glad that worked for you.
As far as the rubbing goes there is a set of bushings in the end of the loader arms that when worn can cause it to rub. ;)