Bxpanded hydraulic pressure test and adjust kit

davebarnhart71

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 bx25d loader backhoe 60" mower
Aug 16, 2014
Fayette City, Pa.
Hello all. Just joined OTT, first time posting. I'm looking for some advice on my newly purchased BX25D. I LOVE this little machine, however I feel that it could benefit from a little more hydraulic pressure. I ordered a Bxpanded hydraulic pressure test and adjust kit and was wondering how you guys felt about raising the pressure on a new machine, and if it would cause more harm than good? Thanks in advance.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello all. Just joined OTT, first time posting. I'm looking for some advice on my newly purchased BX25D. I LOVE this little machine, however I feel that it could benefit from a little more hydraulic pressure. I ordered a Bxpanded hydraulic pressure test and adjust kit and was wondering how you guys felt about raising the pressure on a new machine, and if it would cause more harm than good? Thanks in advance.
Dave,

I too own the same, and have wondered the same. The topic has been covered here on more than one occasion. I think the common census is that Kubota's in general are under"powered" - that meaning they are designed on a lower working pres sure and can be tweaked to a little bit higher pressure.This is too increase the longevity of the machine. I have heard stories of increasing the Bx by about 100 psi or better and truly feeling and seeing a difference.

I would like to hear from you on what your experience is if when you do it.

Couple of questions for you,

how many shims come in the kit? What are the sizes? I hear that .1 mm shim works out to about 40 psi....

where do you check the pressure? At any given port?

please shoot me a note on when you find out your info.

(other topic on the same)

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...172-bxpanded-hydraulic-pressure-test-kit.html

Last edited:

davebarnhart71

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 16, 2014
Fayette City, Pa.
Thanks for the reply hokie. I just ordered the kit yesterday, so I'm not 100% sure what shims are included. I believe the gauge connects to the hoe port on the left side of the machine. As soon as the kit arrives I'll hopefully know a little more. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

davebarnhart71

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 16, 2014
Fayette City, Pa.
So I received my kit yesterday, it comes with a small assortment of shims, a pressure gauge ,and well detailed instructions. I installed one of the thickest shims raising pressure from about 1700# to 1800#. It made a big difference. It will now easily pick up a brush mower that it struggled with before. I can't wait to dig with it.:D

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
So I received my kit yesterday, it comes with a small assortment of shims, a pressure gauge ,and well detailed instructions. I installed one of the thickest shims raising pressure from about 1700# to 1800#. It made a big difference. It will now easily pick up a brush mower that it struggled with before. I can't wait to dig with it.:D
Just curious, do you happen to know what the recommended pressure is ? 1800 seems low to me . Shouldn't it be around 2500 ?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Just curious, do you happen to know what the recommended pressure is ? 1800 seems low to me . Shouldn't it be around 2500 ?
Koja,

if I am not mistaken - 1800 is about right on the BX.......some come lower from factory around 1650.....not sure I would want to push it higher than 2k - I am gonna get me one of them thar kits......as soon as it stops raining here!:(

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK Im stupid, please explain what your talking about , all the who whats and wheres and shyt I really shouldn't be foolin with:D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
OK Im stupid, please explain what your talking about , all the who whats and wheres and shyt I really shouldn't be foolin with:D
skeets,

in simple terms....
there is a spring in the hydraulic system that gets pushed on and finally gives, and fluid is allowed to go elsewhere......

you are making the spring a little tougher to move! The shim adds just a smidge of shorter length....thus making the spring tougher to move, thus raising the pressure up a little, more shim more pressure, too much and well.........like blood pressure...bad things happen!:D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Just ordered kit . Where is thus spring you talk of?
Back near the 3 point, bolt pops out , spring comes out, washer in , spring back in, tighten snug - torque. and bullya

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Good thread ! Thanks for the info. Ordering mine tomorrow. I'm looking for 1900-2000 , lines are rated at 2200 all day. Think I'll be good. This doesn't effect the transmission ??? thinking they are separate.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thanks 85, as I get older one thing I have learned,, if it aint broke don't fix it,,lol

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
It was mentioned that you can get the adjustment shims at McMaster Carr. I searched and couldn't find the specific listing, does anyone have the part number? I don't think I'm THAT cheap that I couldn't buy the kit, but I was a heavy equipment mechanic for about ten years and still have all my tools, gauges, hoses ect. for testing and I don't really see a need to buy more. I am not a fan of cranking the pressure to the sky to get more work done, I have seen it too many times in the past. I have read enough on these little tractors [BX] to also know that the manufacturers lean toward the lower side. Saves on equipment and if it's not needed, no sense being so hard on things. But, there is no harm in making sure it is where it is suppose to be and as long as you keep it reasonable, tweeking it up a bit. I'm talking a couple of hundred psi, not up to say 2,500.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks 85, as I get older one thing I have learned,, if it aint broke don't fix it,,lol
;) I couldnt stand it anymore.....I too went ahead and ordered MINE!:eek:
like a kid at christmas! Now the hurry up and wait!:D

lamanated

Equipment
BX
May 2, 2013
Zephyrhills Fl
a friend borrowed the gauge off the shop press hooked to the hydraulic coupling off a line. and ordered a few shims. took 10 min to do the job for under $3

davebarnhart71

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 16, 2014
Fayette City, Pa.
I guess I could have cut some shims from stock and used any hyd gauge, but I wanted to be safe and just buy the kit from someone who has done their research, and included their knowledge with it, I would like to go to 2000# but this is a brand new machine under warranty, I don't want to be responsible for any failures.