BX2751 Quick Hitch with Snowblower question

hy8ytjh98

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1870 with BX2750D snow blower, LA203A loader
Nov 1, 2013
Gorham, ME, USA
Hi. New to the forum. Just got a new BX1870. Also got the LA203A loader and the BX2750D snow blower. The blower is connected to the tractor with the BX2751 Quick Hitch. In the owners's manual for the quick hitch, it says (in 3 different places): "IMPORTANT: To avoid damage to the drive kit components, do not raise or lower the snowblower while blowing snow. Always make this operation when the snowblower is not blowing".

Can I assume that this just means not to do it when the blower is under a load (i.e. snow is actively being blown)...I am assuming it does not mean that I am supposed to actually turn off the PTO to raise or lower the blower with the hydraulics? I am sure that is what they mean, but would love to have some reassurance.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

PrairieSoul

Equipment
B2920 BX2755HD LA364FL BH65
Dec 23, 2013
Manitoba
I have a different quick hitch kit, B2733A and it does have a similar warning.

"In order to avoid damaging the driveline kit components, do not raise or lower the snowblower while blowing snow. This should only be done when the snowblower is idle."

I work on fairly rough trails and even when it is in the float mode I occasionally lift the blower up while it is blowing snow, always when I reverse, usually at full rpm. Actually when it is in the float mode it is moving up and down all the time. So far no harm.

I do follow one of the rules closely

" Do not operate equipment in wintertime without wearing adequate winter garments."

Last edited:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
This usually means that there may be too much of an angle at the pto shaft or the shaft will hit one of the bracketts. You can slowly raise the blower with it off and watch for these things. One of my bush hogs will rub if I lift it all the way with it spinning.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
If I understand correctly it says when blowing snow, not machine running. By this I would say that what they are referring to is the load on the drive shaft. When a drive shaft is pulling a load and the machine is lifted or lowered the loaded shaft binds when needing to change length. When this happens the shaft pushes or pulls the shaft causing side load on the bearings. I know of instances on full size tractors where it has pulled the PTO out of the housing on the tractor. This could occur on the small tractors as well. Let the blower clean out when lifting or lowering although I believe a small tweek to contact the surface being cleaned is OK. Just use common sense.

KURTEE