Brake pedals connected...

dbertheau

Equipment
LX3310HSDC, FEL w/CB1060, PFL1242, LX2963, WM-8M Chipper
Mar 5, 2023
Nevada City, CA
I read another thread where someone mentioned connecting both brake pedals together when driving a long distance on a road. This made me realize that I've never disconnected the brake pedals from each other on my LX3310 in the 50 hours that I've owned it.

There must be a purpose to not having the pedals connected...maybe turning a tighter radius on dirt??? Is that the main purpose for disconnecting the brake pedals from each other?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yes tight turns. You can 'lockup' one and spin 180*. Also great to steer if you have a front mounted snowblower !

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I read another thread where someone mentioned connecting both brake pedals together when driving a long distance on a road. This made me realize that I've never disconnected the brake pedals from each other on my LX3310 in the 50 hours that I've owned it.

There must be a purpose to not having the pedals connected...maybe turning a tighter radius on dirt??? Is that the main purpose for disconnecting the brake pedals from each other?
Also, if you start to lose traction on one wheel, I find it easier to brake that wheel a little, rather than stop and step on the diff lock.

There are 2 kinds of people in the world, lockers and un-lockers. My BIL is an un-locker, I can always tell when he was the last to use big blue 'cause the brakes will be tied.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Great...thanks.

I'll disconnect before I use the tractor again.
If you haven't used steering brakes before, be very cautious on their use.
If you operate it on hills and grades DO NOT disconnect them!

Reactions: 2 users

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
When driving on a road, if you don't have the pedals locked together and accidentally just hit one of the wheels to brake, you can lose control and possibly flip over...

Also, if you lock up one brake to make a tight turn, if you're in 4x4 things could bind up depending on which tires have better traction.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Long boring story as to why, but I had to do a lot of brake steering on the tractor I first learned to operate. Could steer it with the brakes about as well as I could with the steering wheel (going forward). Wouldn’t have a tractor I couldn’t brake steer.

If you have good traction on the front wheels, brake steering is useless. For example, if you’re running on dry ground with a bucket full of dirt in the loader and brake one rear wheel while still applying power to go forward, all you accomplished is putting all sorts of weird forces on a bunch of components from the front to back of the tractor without making an iota of difference in the direction you’re going. Not good.

It is sometimes useful when you don’t have good traction on the front wheels. I use it much less with the 4WD Kubota than with the 2WD Ford I learned on 50 years ago. Most of the time, even in slick conditions, with 4WD engaged the front wheels will pull through the turn without help from brakes.

So when is it useful? Examples I’ve had with the Kubota…

Mowing in 2WD to avoid tearing up the ground. Loader off. No front weights. One side in the bottom of a ditch mowing ditch bank. Trying to turn out of the ditch but the tractor keeps going straight like it’s on a rail. A little pressure on the uphill brake (not a lock up, just a little encouragement to turn) gets the front end turning out of the ditch. This is every time I bush hog the ditch by the public road, so it’s not a surprise. And yes, with that setup, I could lock a rear wheel and spin it on a dime, but that would also dig a little bare spot where the stationary wheel is, so not ideal for mowing.

Skidding a log in 4WD in black mud I could barely walk through. Grapple on front with another log in it so still plenty of weight on front. Turn right; go to the wood lot. Go straight; run over a 5’ bank into a creek. Turn wheels right. Still going straight, but now front wheels are plowing mud as they get shoved sideways. Tap right brake, tractor turns right, continue to wood lot. Initiation of problem to solution 2 seconds or less. Brakes were already unlocked because I knew I was skidding a log through a mud pit (it was solid about 8” down but snot slick until then).

Tractor getting stuck. One rear spinning while the other isn’t turning. Stab the brake for the spinning wheel a few times will often get you going again. Haven’t had much use for that on the Kubota with its 4WD and diff lock. Ford didn’t have either.

Last thing: brake steering is a LOW SPEED activity. If you’re in high range, lock the brakes together. When you first start, restricting to low range is probably a good idea. Depending on what you do with your tractor you may never have a use for brake steering.

Reactions: 2 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Tractor getting stuck. One rear spinning while the other isn’t turning. Stab the brake for the spinning wheel a few times will often get you going again.
That was one of the first things I was taught many, many years ago. I think "brake steering" is a more recent description for the twin pedals.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Story that happened at work 10 years ago about split brakes saving my weekend!

I was borrowing a tractor, 2 row planter, dully truck, and trailer on a Friday. A nice setup from another department. We had lots of rain that planting season and we were in a pinch to get these tests planted in the ground (even wet ground).

Planted 6 tests in different fields and were heading to the last field about 6 pm. Looked over the field and there were plenty of low, wet areas that couldn't be planted but decided to try and plant the last test in the back of the field which was higher and drier.

Only problem, I had to drive over the rest of the field to get to the dry section. So I took off (2 wheel drive, nice JD tractor) about halfway across the field, as we were driving near one of the wet areas, the right front tire dropped into mud and the front tire instantly got dragged deeper into the mud and pointed me directly into the wet area.

Without even thinking or slowing down, I jammed on the left brake so hard, it spun the nose around to the left, out and away from the wet spot.... luckily, that tire had traction and the planter on the back made the front end much lighter. I never spun a tractor on a dime that fast...

I hit the gas and headed straight back to the truck and trailer to load up and head home. I did not want to spend the rest of the night in the field.

I never even had time to turn the steering wheel, but knew that hitting that steering brake was the only way we were going to get out of there....

Reactions: 1 users