1,000 hour review of an L4701 from squatch253

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've been watching squatch253 on YouTube channel for a few years and enjoy many of his projects. He's a very competent, thoughtful, detailed orientated individual who does quality work. He has a 2019 L4701 with a backhoe that he uses on the channel but it's never featured, it's just a tool that he uses to get stuff done. He just released a 1,000 hour review and it's very positive and reflects my experience with four Kubota tractors and a generator.

I did laugh at two of his comments towards the end. He said that he wished the tractor were bigger and that he got a cab. This guy knows what he's talking about. 😂

Reactions: 2 users

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
Thanks for sharing.

I didn't realize the backhoe frame connects all the way to the loader in front of the operator station. I like the extra protection that provides for the hydraulic filters!

Reactions: 1 users

BT3101

Equipment
L3130 GST, FEL, Taylor Way BH W/Subframe, Rotary Cutter, Pallet Forks
Mar 20, 2016
Evansville, IN, USA
Thanks for sharing.

I didn't realize the backhoe frame connects all the way to the loader in front of the operator station. I like the extra protection that provides for the hydraulic filters!
I have a Taylor Way (Italian made) backhoe attachment for my L3101. It was originally sold as a 3 point hitch backhoe. I got lucky and found a used Kubota subframe and made some brackets to adapt the TW unit to that frame which comes forward to the loader arms..

The big advantage of that frame coming forward to the loader arms is removing much of the weight and stress off the rear differential housing. The 3 point hitch backhoes have been known to result in cracked housings.

Reactions: 2 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I don’t have the backhoe. Use the loader quite a lot with grapple, bucket, and forks. Use the PTO and three point quite a bit with bush hog, chipper, stump grinder, boxblade, backblade, pine straw rake, and skidding winch. The three rear remotes and hydraulic top link and side link are pretty sweet upgrades from the no rear remotes and turnbuckle adjustments it had when I bought it.

My experience is same as the fellow in the video. So far (about 450 hours on my 2019) it has been a solid, reliable, basic tractor. Mine had the same very low hour coolant leak due to a loose hose clamp. It could be bigger, but same could be said of any tractor other than whichever is the world’s biggest. It could have a cab or an air ride seat or quite a few other upgrades, but it’s a basic tractor. In my case, still light years ahead of the old Ford N it replaced.

Reactions: 4 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Damn, for that much use it sure looks clean.
squatch253 is meticulous in everything so I wasn't surprised. He obviously cleaned it up for the 1,000 hour review, but I really enjoy seeing him and "squatch senior" work on projects together. There's such a bond and mutual respect between them that's great to see.

One of the things that he gets across with his projects is the amount of work that it takes to do something really well, and that preparation is 80% of the work. So many just don't want to put in the work to be good at something or end up with a great end product. If it doesn't come easy they lose interest.

Reactions: 3 users