Using glow plugs or not using

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
So, I'm just wondering. I know the glow plugs are there to help "light off" the diesel sooner and start the engine easier. But, if it's warm outside and you simply crank the engine a few seconds longer is there any harm to the engine by not using them? (other than running the starter a few seconds longer).

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I rarely use them (although I believe some models will still activate when cranking). I usually don’t use my tractor if it’s under 40 degrees or so though 🤣

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Really depends on the model and age of the tractor.

I have 4 kubotas - I glow them ALWAYS and some times longer than I may need too - overglowing does not hurt a thing, UNDERglowing will get you a lot of smoke and sometimes a hard start.

If glowing gets a quicker start - that little bit of heat helps the starter not spin as often too.

I even glow after an hour of sitting ......... on a warm DAY - no, the glow aint real long!;)

Reactions: 1 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Glow plugs save battery and starter. Hot plugs ignite fuel on every revolution which HELPS starter turn engine. I use them every time regardless of weather. A "well desighened" system turns light off sooner when engine and/or weather is warm. Those that own Duramax,Cat,Cummins,PowerStroke and such will notice this,engines from the land of just barely good enough not so much so.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My Lister Petter engine has glow plugs and a heater inside of the intake chamber. It starts very quickly no matter how cold the engine block is. It also has a block heater, but it is rarely ever used.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
I use mine most of the time unless its been running recently. The old 2 cylinders start hard.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The glow plugs on a Kubota heat on crank regardless of a pre heat.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
On the Kubota I twist the key enough to get the GP indicator on and wait till it goes out to crank for the initial start of the day. Normally the tractor isn't shut down long enough to cool to the point of using the GP's a second time.

Ford (Shibaura) has a heated wire indicator rather than a light and doesn't go out automatically. It really doesn't like to start without getting the indicator glowing pretty brightly - especially in cold weather. But again, if it's not shut down long enough to completely cool it starts fine without the GP's.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
they heat the air in the cylinder, they don’t ignite fuel…some diesels use a grid heater in the intake to heat the incoming air (Cummins? 🤔)
Yes sir. (y)

I do not actively use the GP on the General Lee when its warm'ish out. (above 65'ish?)

My Cummins does not even have the option to use it when it's warm out.

I have to turn the key to the "on" position and look at the dash, then computer auto-magically senses the temp and either lights up the "heater on" signal (a small curly looking sign) or not.

If it lights up, you wait until the "heater light" goes out while it heats up, then crank the engine.

If it does not "light up", you can just crank it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I preheat for 5 on-offs of the 4 ways on my BX23S. For 6 years, 1200+ hrs I've done this unless the engine is still warm. It has always started easily, Winter,Spring, Summer,or Fall. Probably not 'necessary' but 'if it ain't broke not need to fix it' !

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
On the Kubota I twist the key enough to get the GP indicator on and wait till it goes out to crank for the initial start of the day. Normally the tractor isn't shut down long enough to cool to the point of using the GP's a second time.

Ford (Shibaura) has a heated wire indicator rather than a light and doesn't go out automatically. It really doesn't like to start without getting the indicator glowing pretty brightly - especially in cold weather. But again, if it's not shut down long enough to completely cool it starts fine without the GP's.
I never use glow plug heating on my little 32HP 4 cyl. Shibaura, and it starts just fine.
Of course, I never use the little Ford in Winter either.
She, is my baby!

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
So, no "harm" to engine itself? Maybe a little extra wear on starter? And a little extra smoke. The garage was about 75 deg. And, I simply cranked (mostly because I forgot). Seems if I am at somewhat warm ambient temps like yesterday and I don't use the plugs, the engine will crank about 5 or 6 seconds. If I use the plugs in same conditions, I don't think it takes 2 seconds to fire. Almost feels like it barely makes a full revolution and it's "lit". Unless it's cold. Say mid 30s up to about 45 or so. Then even using plugs it will spin a bit before it lights off.
But really my question is related not so much to how easily it starts using/not using but whether there is any "harm" to the engine itself

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
'harm' by not using the glowplugs...
possible include..
1) extra wear and tear on battery. assuming starter needs more amps than glowplugs
2) extra wear and tear on starter.more use = more wear...
3) 'fouling' of head,piston.raw fuel in cylinders(black smoke)

I think glowplugs draw about 10 amps each, so 30 total. HAS to be less than starter amps ?

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
I preheat for 5 on-offs of the 4 ways on my BX23S.
I have no clue what this means.

I always use the glow plugs for the first start of the day no matter what the outside temperature is. As others have said, if the tractor is still warm after a shut down and I need to restart, I don't use them. If it's completely cooled down and I need to restart, I'll use them again no matter what the outside temp is.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The only “harm” I can think of is the few extra revolutions which may occur in which oil pressure is not-yet up to standard.…but that concern borders on negligible.

As Wolfman says… the glow plugs energize when the key is turned to “start” …regardless…. so glow-plug activation occurs at every start.… There’s just no “pre-heat” so an extra few revolutions might occur in very cold weather.

I use preheat whenever it’s cold-enough that I’m wearing a coat. Otherwise…. no.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
GVJay said: "I preheat for 5 on-offs of the 4 ways on my BX23S."

I always use the glow plugs for the first start of the day no matter what the outside temperature is. As others have said, if the tractor is still warm after a shut down and I need to restart, I don't use them. If it's completely cooled down and I need to restart, I'll use them again no matter what the outside temp is.
I think it means he turns on the flashers before he turns the key to the glow-plug-on position… he then starts counting when the glow-plug light comes on. I’d probably just do 1001, 1002….

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I never use glow plug heating on my little 32HP 4 cyl. Shibaura, and it starts just fine.
Of course, I never use the little Ford in Winter either.
She, is my baby!
My little (half the HP as yours) Ford 1210 doesn't like to do that initial start without GP's even on warm days. She'll start in any temperature with them though. It is good mechanically, and could use some paint. Scrappy little thing that acts more like a tractor twice its size. Original plan was to sell it when we got our first Kubota in 2002. Can't seem to part with it:)

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas

My technique as well.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My little (half the HP as yours) Ford 1210 doesn't like to do that initial start without GP's even on warm days. She'll start in any temperature with them though. It is good mechanically, and could use some paint. Scrappy little thing that acts more like a tractor twice its size. Original plan was to sell it when we got our first Kubota in 2002. Can't seem to part with it:)
Same here!
I bought my 1989 Shibaura FEL with 1,000 hours, 8 years ago.
Bought my 2006 L48 TLB 3 years later.
I have completely refurbished the Shibaura, including paint and tires.
It ain't goin nowhere!
It will go with me to the grave!