L1501 how to engage pto?

OldboyJon

Equipment
L1501
Mar 11, 2024
Washington
This is my first time operating a tractor. As far as I can tell the pto has a 4 speed selector but I don’t see anything spinning no matter what I select. I’m hoping someone here can tell me what I’m doing wrong.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On that model if I remember correctly there will be a second lever for PTO engagement.
I think the orange knob on the left.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Looks enough like my L185 to say that if you send me an email I will send you the operator manual
Russellking at Austin dot rr dot com make the words symbols and then you will have it.
On my tractor
the orange lever on the left should be the high and low speed selector for the transmission speeds.

the lever on the right with a round knob selects your gear.

the lever on the top front left should be the PTO speed selector. Mine only has three speeds and 1 is 540. No idea what you have but I am sure you can search on the gray market section of the forum.

you push clutch in, select the correct PTO speed and let out the clutch (slowly if there is an implement attached) and the PTO shaft should spin. If an implement is attached you will need to raise engine RPM as you let out the clutch or you can stall the engine.

I have no idea what the other more horizontal lever is for but would guess it might be a super slow or normal speed of the transmission.

Reactions: 1 users

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Looks enough like my L185 to say that if you send me an email I will send you the operator manual
Russellking at Austin dot rr dot com make the words symbols and then you will have it.
On my tractor
the orange lever on the left should be the high and low speed selector for the transmission speeds.

the lever on the top front left should be the PTO speed selector. Mine only has three speeds and 1 is 540. No idea what you have but I am sure you can search on the gray market section of the forum.

you push clutch in, select the correct PTO speed and let out the clutch (slowly if there is an implement attached) and the PTO shaft should spin. If an implement is attached you will need to raise engine RPM as you let out the clutch or you can stall the engine.

I have no idea what the other more horizontal lever is for but would guess it might be a super slow or normal speed of the transmission.
I think my L260 is similar.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I found this that described a similar transmission

perhaps @Daren Todd will chime in on your tractor since he owned a similar tractor

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Orange topped lever high low range selector. H-N-L

Left 4spd shifter is pto, right shifter is gear shift.

Little shifter on the side engages creeper mode. H-N-L. This one is stamped on the case as to what is where.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Engage the pto into first gear. Fully release the clutch. If pto on back is not spinning, then unfortunately you have an issue inside the transmission.

There isn't any other lever that will effect the pto engagement.

If tractor doesn't move either when gear shift is any gear and the other two hi/low shifters are in any position besides neutral, then your clutch is out.

OldboyJon

Equipment
L1501
Mar 11, 2024
Washington
Engage the pto into first gear. Fully release the clutch. If pto on back is not spinning, then unfortunately you have an issue inside the transmission.

There isn't any other lever that will effect the pto engagement.

If tractor doesn't move either when gear shift is any gear and the other two hi/low shifters are in any position besides neutral, then your clutch is out.
I opened the pto output on the back and drained the gear oil. Pulled out the shaft to find there’s no coupler between the pto and engine output shaft. Everything else looks great. Nice and shiny inside. Apparently the old couple that had this paid to have the driveline rebuilt along with the fuel system. Idk why the pto isn’t connected but am looking for the coupler. And any advice on how to install it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Last edited:

OldboyJon

Equipment
L1501
Mar 11, 2024
Washington
When you pulled it out did all of these parts (circled in red) come out minus the #16 coupler?
If not then your in for some work as the only way to fix it is to split it.

This is the coupling:

View attachment 127552
Only 16(coupling) is missing. The bearing assembly 20-23-17 is there. All the bearing assembly and lock nut are all assembled at the output side. Hoping I don’t have to split it. But I’ll do whatever I need to.

Last edited by a moderator:

OldboyJon

Equipment
L1501
Mar 11, 2024
Washington
On my tractor

Hey Russell, just wanted to let you know that I sent you an email. Thank you

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Hey Russell, just wanted to let you know that I sent you an email. Thank you
I sent the manuals yesterday and today.
I am not in a area with good internet today so those emails may not go through until tomorrow when I’m back in town

OldboyJon

Equipment
L1501
Mar 11, 2024
Washington
I sent the manuals yesterday and today.
I am not in a area with good internet today so those emails may not go through until tomorrow when I’m back in town
Thanks bud! I appreciate it greatly. Will post pics of me using the tractor as soon as I get it together.