Expecting a problem next door....

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I purchased my home and 20 acres last summer and moved there in late July. There is a (not very well kept) home next door to me that sits on .33 of an acre. Last fall, a young man moved a travel trailer on to the property which butted right up to the property line between us and proceeded to live in it. At one point I started to smell some sewer which really concerned me. He obviously had dumped the contents of is tank into a small patch of woods between us that myself and his family each own half of, of which has a sink hole with a cave at the bottom and his family owns that part. I am guessing he's dumping into that cave so it's hidden a litter easier...

A few months ago (shortly after he moved in), our vehicles got broken into as well. This guy looks to be in his early 30's and based on his appearance, and the fact he doesn't seem to be employed, gives me the impression of being a free loading worthless punk. Over the winter, the travel trailer was moved out and I didn't see him anymore. That is, until yesterday when he moved a different larger travel trailer in and him and his girlfriend proceeded to setup home. I just finished fencing in 5 acres with an underground dog fence so that my dog could have freedom to run around. and here this guy is with 2 large pitbulls running free.

One thing I noticed was the new trailer he's living in was moved much closer to the woods, which is not in a better spot than the last place he was parked, other than being able to possibly run his septic line into the woods being more concealable for emptying. So I am expecting that his plan is to live full time in this camper and run his crap into the woods.

So I see 3 issues here:
I have a thief living next door.
I have a guy planning to dump is human waste into the woods.
I have potentially aggressive dogs that can easily reach my 13 year old twin boys or my two dogs.

I do have security cameras setup everywhere. I did not pick up the break-in a few months ago because the way he came in, he was shielded by the vehicles so the cameras didn't trip. I have since readjusted them.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I purchased my home and 20 acres last summer and moved there in late July. There is a (not very well kept) home next door to me that sits on .33 of an acre. Last fall, a young man moved a travel trailer on to the property which butted right up to the property line between us and proceeded to live in it. At one point I started to smell some sewer which really concerned me. He obviously had dumped the contents of is tank into a small patch of woods between us that we (his family) each own half of and the bottom of it has a sink hole with cave at the bottom.

A few months ago (shortly after he moved in), our vehicles got broken into as well. This guy looks to be in his early 30's and based on his appearance, and the fact he doesn't seem to be employed, gives me the impression of being a free loading worthless punk. Over the winter, the travel trailer was moved out and I didn't see him anymore. That is, until yesterday when he moved a different larger travel trailer in and him and his girlfriend proceeded to setup home. I just finished fencing in 5 acres with an underground dog fence so that my dog could have freedom to run around. and here this guy is with 2 large pitbulls running free.

One thing I noticed was the new trailer he's living in was moved much closer to the woods, which is not in a better spot than the last place he was parked, other than being able to possibly run his septic line into the woods being more concealable for emptying. So I am expecting that his plan is to live full time in this camper and run his crap into the woods.

So I see 3 issues here:
I have a thief living next door.
I have a guy planning to dump is human waste into the woods.
I have potentially aggressive dogs that can easily reach my 13 year old twin boys or my two dogs.

I do have security cameras setup everywhere. I did not pick up the break-in a few months ago because the way he came in, he was shielded by the vehicles so the cameras didn't trip. I have since readjusted them.
You must have a local building inspector.
CALL HIM!
Tell him that you would like him to investigate the sewage disposal.
Ask him to NOT divulge who complained!

Reactions: 2 users

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
You must have a local building inspector.
CALL HIM!
Tell him that you would like him to investigate the sewage disposal.
Ask him to NOT divulge who complained!

Oh, I definitely plan to make some calls if/when I smell sewer again....

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
call animal control about the pitbulls running free. Normally there are 'leash laws' depending on where you live. I have NO problem with you shooting them on your property.....

call the local police.....maybe drugs involved ????

all building department.. can someone LIVE in that trailer with a house already there ??

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
call animal control about the pitbulls running free. Normally there are 'leash laws' depending on where you live. I have NO problem with you shooting them on your property.....

call the local police.....maybe drugs involved ????

all building department.. can someone LIVE in that trailer with a house already there ??

I will shoot the dogs without hesitation if it came down to them being aggressive towards my family or pets. But I don't want to hurt the animals if it's not necessary, of course. I am friends with the sheriff so Animal Control is definitely an option. It's about time for an extended range session soon anyways which if nothing else, may make him think twice about burglarizing my vehicles again (if he was him). I probably need to go ahead and get up some no trespassing signs.

Not sure the laws on living in a camper. I don't want to cause any problems either, so if he lives there and is respectful, doesn't steal from me, doesn't dump his waste, doesn't allow his animals to come on my property etc, then I'm fine however he chooses to live. But it's not looking that way.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
This sounds similar to a situation a couple miles from me…. A group of folks have moved trailers onto a piece of property and their sewer (gray..? black…? unknown…) is drained out onto the ground. It hit the local paper…that someone complained to the county commissioner…who sent out a deputy who wrote citations …and a week later did so again…and a month after that …their trailers were condemned. It’s expected a “clean up” of the site is to be charged against them.

The county codes out here require engineered/licensed septic systems on any residence.

You might call your county commissioner, health dept, etc to see what law might apply.

Dogs are often required to be licensed and vaccinated also….. and restrained by fence, etc. on small plots of land. (I’m a dog-lover…. but It’d be a shame if dogs hurt your kids…. it’d be difficult to rectify that after-the-fact.)

Reactions: 1 user

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
I would check with the town or county regarding building and zoning ordinances. If you believe there to be any violations then report them immediately. The longer you wait the more difficult it will be to get it resolved. If there is no legal sanitary system, like a septic system of whatever is required, then the authorities should cite them before they dump their next 'load'.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Dont know the water source situation there, but if indeed sewage is being dumped into a sink hole, it could contaminate local wells.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
This sounds similar to a situation a couple miles from me…. A group of folks have moved trailers onto a piece of property and their sewer (gray..? black…? unknown…) is drained out onto the ground. It hit the local paper…that someone complained to the county commissioner…who sent out a deputy who wrote citations …and a week later did so again…and a month after that …their trailers were condemned. It’s expected a “clean up” of the site is to be charged against them.

The county codes out here require engineered/licensed septic systems on any residence.

You might call your county commissioner, health dept, etc to see what law might apply.

Dogs are often required to be licensed and vaccinated also….. and restrained by fence, etc. on small plots of land. (I’m a dog-lover…. but It’d be a shame if dogs hurt your kids…. it’d be difficult to rectify that after-the-fact.)

We are required to have septics here. You're not even allowed an outhouse anymore. I know of two friends that live in campers on their own property. One uses the bathroom in a bag and hauls it off with his weekly trash and his place is well kept and doesn't smell. the other just lets his lines run onto the ground and his place is absolutely disgusting. That's why this is so alarming to me, is that I know people do this!

I know the city requires dogs on a leash however, I'm not sure what regulations are for the county. I, too, am a dog lover and don't want to hurt an innocent dog. Nor, do I want to give them any reason to hurt one of my dogs. If my username doesn't give it away, I am highly skilled in dispatching K9's and have night vision on my rifles, if it comes down to that. Hopefully their dogs are friendly in which case I'll enjoy letting them play with my lab and hang around my place.

I think I have the security cams adjusted well enough that I shouldn't have an issue with him stealing. But I don't have all of my woods covered either and have lost tree stands off my other property before.. Not to mention, the boys are constantly leaving there quads back by the woods over night which is out of view of the cameras.

Other than his dogs, my biggest issue is the septic from his camper. His camper is within 150 yards of my back yard and where our pool is and where we hang out at most often. The last thing I want is to be smelling a sewer. I don't know what to do. It seems I can only wait to see "IF" I smell it and then report it. Otherwise, if I call now and he gets inspected, it will be obvious I called. I don't want to be the one who starts a problem....

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Dont know the water source situation there, but if indeed sewage is being dumped into a sink hole, it could contaminate local wells.

Fortunately, I am on county water and no well. I have no idea about area neighbors though. 2 miles from my house though is a tourist attraction where there is a large unground creek that runs through all large caverns where people take boat rides and see cave fish and critters. So no doubt it's probably all connected...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
The neighboring property owner had so-called “hunters“ on his place…. (they shot animals over a feeder/baiter)…. They had a tailer they’d dug a hole in the ground and put a holed 55-gal drum in it for a “septic”.

I told the property owner I didn’t think that complied….and further, it was not far from my water well…and very close to a spring-fed pond on the opposite neighbors’ property.

Fortunately he agreed to have them meet the county regs…. but the property was soon sold and the new owner hauled all that trailer-trash away.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
If there was/is a house on that lot currently, it should have a septic system. If it’s a traditional gravity system, it could be as easy as them putting their discharge into the clean out of that system. Although that might mean dragging black water tanks around occasionally depending on parking site and grades.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
The neighboring property owner had so-called “hunters“ on his place…. (they shot animals over a feeder/baiter)…. They had a tailer they’d dug a hole in the ground and put a holed 55-gal drum in it for a “septic”.

I told the property owner I didn’t think that complied….and further, it was not far from my water well…and very close to a spring-fed pond on the opposite neighbors’ property.

Fortunately he agreed to have them meet the county regs…. but the property was soon sold and the new owner hauled all that trailer-trash away.

Luckily, septics are heavily controlled here. The health department has to issue a permit and ONLY certified installers approved by the county health office are the only entities who can install or service a septic.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
If there was/is a house on that lot currently, it should have a septic system. If it’s a traditional gravity system, it could be as easy as them putting their discharge into the clean out of that system. Although that might mean dragging black water tanks around occasionally depending on parking site and grades.
There is an existing house which I believe his brother lives in. The guy bought that house about a year before I bought mine. I'm sure it has a septic but I highly doubt he evens knows where it's at. And here, a septic is sized by how many bedrooms a home has. That determines the size of the tank and how many fingers is required. Adding on a camper to an existing septic without it being approved by the health department would be a big NO.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
…Adding on a camper to an existing septic without it being approved by the health department would be a big NO.
I hadn’t considered that issue…. I have 3 RV electrical hookups with water on my place…but no dump station… I had been thinking of adding sewer for visitors who bring their RV….and hadn’t thought about whether or not it would be a problem to add an RV sewer connection to my existing septic system….

I’m having some upgrade done to one of the systems and will now ask. (My house has two septic systems, one of which is so old I’m taking bids to update it.)

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I hadn’t considered that issue…. I have 3 RV electrical hookups with water on my place…but no dump station… I had been thinking of adding sewer for visitors who bring their RV….and hadn’t thought about whether or not it would be a problem to add an RV sewer connection to my existing septic system….

I’m having some upgrade done to one of the systems and will now ask. (My house has two septic systems, one of which is so old I’m taking bids to update it.)

Yeah sounds like the time to ask for sure. One of my best friends is one of the only approved septic installers in my county. So I have heard him talk about this stuff before is the only reason why I know... His aunt is also the manager of the health department and who issues the permits. It won't take many calls once I start smelling his crap....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
HAd an old Navy Chief that use to say there in no personal problem that can not be rectified with a suitable application of high explosives ,, just what he use to say

• Haha

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Not to state the obvious here but. . . why not walk over there and have a neighborly chat with him. You may find your assumptions about him are wrong, or not. Seems to me that having your legitimate concerns known would be a good first step.
At the worst case he could never say that he was unaware.

Reactions: 1 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Worked in Western PA briefly around 1978 and stayed in a somewhat less than 4 star hotel outside Zelienople that our company rented for us. Mebbe Harmony? Anyway, the owner said he found an old mine vent that he used for his "drain field".

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Not to state the obvious here but. . . why not walk over there and have a neighborly chat with him. You may find your assumptions about him are wrong, or not. Seems to me that having your legitimate concerns known would be a good first step.
At the worst case he could never say that he was unaware.
If you have this conversation you might add you're good friends (with those you mentioned earlier) and make him aware you have then out for a cookout from time to time. Let him know if they are here and smell your dumped sludge there may be repercussions. Might want to get it fixed before that happens!