Forestry Mulcher

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
The forestry mulchers I have seen operate on skid steers. I don't believe your tractor has the hydraulic capacity to support the usage of a forestry unit.

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Trust me, no expert.

I think many mulchers need many gallons per minute hydraulic flow (20-30?) to run.

Doubt your LX2610 has much more than 10 gpm, and part of that is for steering.

I also question if an LX has the loader capacity to even lift one, let alone run it.

Like @JimmyJazz pointed out, they’re usually a CTL attachment, and a compact track loader is a much different critter than your LX.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Agree running a hydraulic mulcher is impractical. Partly because tractors are designed such that if you want to source a high percentage of the available power for an implement the PTO is the method, not hydraulic flow.

Have seen PTO versions such as this:
. Don’t have one. Not exactly recommending it, but maybe something to look into.

Never seen a self powered one. Interesting concept. I’d at least want to see a video of one on a machine similar size to yours before buying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
That PTO driven Baumalight mulcher is about $10K. While it does a better job than a rotary cutter, it is not that much better. The brush shown in the video could be cut and ground up to a reasonable degree by rotary cutter; I have cut/ground up privet bigger than that brush with my LX.

I do not see how a 40HP gas engine can run a light weight mulcher head while mulching anything a rotary cutter could not handle. As others have noted, mulcher heads have a very high flow rate to generate power, and they are also heavy to provide enough inertia to keep the head spinning. I think a light weight head powered by a small gas engine would bog down/stall in any heavy brush or small trees.

The Baumalight weighs over 1,000 lbs., and the rotor is over 200 lbs. The entire Forax unit is 350 lbs.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Unless this is something you plan to do on a recurring basis, I would hire a contractor to do the initial mastication work on the heavy vegetation, then just maintain the land with a rotary cutter regularly so the vegetation stays small. Contact your state forestry department for a list of reputable contractors who do that work.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Don't do it unless you absolutely hate your machine and have a death wish.

I rent a 100+HP CTL with bullet proof glass and a mulch head. These machines see severe duty and have armoured plating underneath. It can grab a log or rock and shoot it 300 feet forward or reverse into your undercarriage.

Your SCUT has NO PROTECTION for you or your machine.

I would never consider buying a mulch head for a personal machine now would I ever consider buying a used machine as they are all abused.

Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, I'm with JY.... hire the job out, ONCE. One of those 'right tool for the job' deals. A professional operating a real machine will make short work of cleaning up the space.He'll go deeper and faster than you can.
Saw a video of a pro get a hidden roll of barbed wire wrapped around the drum.THAT would not have been 'fun' to remove. Odds are it'd HAVE to be cut out not just a 'simple, slowly turn in reverse' deal.

Once you have a 'clean slate' then you can decide what to do with your new land !

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Problem I see with the self powered unit- oil starvation. If it is a wet sump engine, you'll run it dry if you have it tilted >20°

I don't know what your needs are, but renting a mulcher or hiring it out might be a good option. Then you can maintain it with your rotory

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 LA435 loader, 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
Problem I see with the self powered unit- oil starvation. If it is a wet sump engine, you'll run it dry if you have it tilted >20°

I don't know what your needs are, but renting a mulcher or hiring it out might be a good option. Then you can maintain it with your rotory
This!!
We paid a contractor to underbrush our acreage. Then we kept it maintained with a brush hog. It was cheaper than buying a mulcher and no wear and tear on our tractor.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

I wouldn’t even rent one. Mikester is correct. Operating those things is extremely dangerous and I won’t get within 100 yards of one in the woods when it’s running. Better to let an experienced contractor do that work.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Hello,

I am looking to see what is recommended for a forestry mulcher that would fit and operate well on my LX2610.

Thanks
Travis
Hi Travis,
I bought a flail mower and...wow, it's amazing, but if anything unexpected happens it's a whole lot of hell in a hurry happening. And that's a flail mower.

I'm a "Safety Third" type of guy, and though I've had several close calls (and am not bragging about that--I try to avoid those) am still "reasonable" when it comes to safety. With that said I wouldn't put a forestry mulcher on a tractor, that's going to be slow-going so you don't wreck your tractor and even at that it's going to be hard on an LX2610...that's not a big enough tractor in my opinion for a forestry mulcher, and if you did have a large enough tractor the danger factor is quite high like @mikester and @jyoutz said.

I'm not trying to "pile on," just give you some additional experience to draw from so you can make your own sound decisions, hopefully saving you a load of time and money, and maybe a bunch of frustration. Whatever route you take, best of fortune with it!

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I wouldn’t even rent one. Mikester is correct. Operating those things is extremely dangerous and I won’t get within 100 yards of one in the woods when it’s running. Better to let an experienced contractor do that work.
I suppose it depends on how confident you are. I would have no problem with one. Plenty of track loader experience. I know the hazards and what safety precautions should be in place. It's not rocket surgery. Rules 1 and 2 pretty much get me by any task in operating.
1) Don't do questionable $h!t.
2) When wondering if it can (shred, lift, go over/ through/around), refer to rule 1
😄

• Haha

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I suppose it depends on how confident you are. I would have no problem with one. Plenty of track loader experience. I know the hazards and what safety precautions should be in place. It's not rocket surgery. Rules 1 and 2 pretty much get me by any task in operating.
1) Don't do questionable $h!t.
2) When wondering if it can (shred, lift, go over/ through/around), refer to rule 1
😄
I wouldn’t touch one without a full protective cage. I’ve seen the size of chunks and the speed they can be hurled by the machine. I’ve seen a hurled chunk penetrate a truck door.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The other reason I would never buy a masticator is that I’ve inspected tens of thousands of acres of woods work done by those machines. At least weekly, one of those machines is down with broken teeth or more. I see the mechanics tearing them down in the woods and they always talk about how expensive the parts are for those machines.