Pros and cons of snow removal options

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I disagree that using a rear mounted snowblower with a mirror is anything like backing up a trailer.
Backing up with a trailer: if you want the trailer to veer to the left, you have to turn your steering wheel to the right (clockwise). If you want the trailer to veer to the right....you turn your steering wheel to the left (counter clockwise). All of which is due to the pivot point at the ball hitch. It can get confusing, no doubt.

A rear snowblower mounted to your tractor's 3 pt hitch does not pivot like a trailer when turning. When you're looking in the mirror and you want the blower to veer to your left.....you turn the steering wheel to the left. If you want the blower to veer to the right....you turn the steering wheel to the right. It's no different than backing your vehicle into a parking spot.

It's very intuitive and the learning curve is extremely brief. (No tricks needed as in trying to remember which way to turn the steering wheel while backing up a trailer to have it go where you want it to.)

You use the steering wheel the same way with mirrors and a 3 pt blower as you do driving forward with no mirrors. Either way: turn left and the blower goes left ...... turn right and the blower goes right.

dan’s kubby

Equipment
BX23S, B2672 snow plow, Land Pride SGC0554 Grapple, Titan 4306 Gra
Feb 8, 2024
NE PA
Great post!

I love my plow, but any chance to use my tractor is good with me!

Reactions: 1 user

dvto2

Equipment
Bx23 and implements
Feb 26, 2019
east granby
Depends where you live. Here in northern Connecticut, we used to get 12” snow on a regular basis and it would stay through the winter. Now it’s rare to get that much, and when we do, it’s too warm to stay, and it gums up my snowblower, so i just added a straight blade to my bucket and don’t even put the blower on. Getting off the tractor to clear out the snow blower is a huge pima, and it’s worth the trade off of backing the tractor up after dumping a load of snow at this point. This works for my 600’ off driveway.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I have used a backblade, bucket and now I have a plow with a hyd angle on the kubota the plow works great because you can still pile the snow 6 feet high or better I have 1/4 mile of driveway with heavy bush on and ditches on both side and few turn outs. But like others we have gotten very little snow and what we get is mostly ice. 10 years ago we got almost 4 ft in one week. now I use the plow once the last two winters and probably did not really need to.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You are discussing snow in the middle of a heat wave! I will check back on this topic when the temperature drops below 40 degrees.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880 with loader, mower and 3 point
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
I was glad I sold my walk behind snow blower and bought my 1880. Just using the back blade works like a charm no matter if the snow is sticky or slick.

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
I've tried lots of options (depending on age and budget)

The Snowplow "Original Snow Pusher - worth the cost
8hp walk behind - snowblower effective, but a workout
2 cycle Rubber Paddle Snowblower - works way better, and easier than I ever would have thought
Plow truck - probably the fastest of all, but kind of rots away sitting most of the year
Rear blade - cheap and relatively effective
ATV with Plow - plows fast and pushes a lot of snow. Need a place to push it;
3pt - rear push snowblower - very effective but don't like backing up all the time
3pt Rear Pull Snowblower - best option ever for me. Done in 1/2 the time

Last edited:

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
JD plow mounted on a BX 2680. By this time plowing became not fun!. The snow pic was when the plow was on my now gone Simplicity. Haven’t had any heavy snow seasons since we got the Kubota. A snowblower would be nice but having a blade already can’t see dropping the $$.
IMG_0499.jpeg
IMG_0020.jpeg
IMG_0454.jpeg

Steve Bertman

Equipment
LX2610
Sep 11, 2024
Michigan
I have used a backblade, bucket and now I have a plow with a hyd angle on the kubota the plow works great because you can still pile the snow 6 feet high or better I have 1/4 mile of driveway with heavy bush on and ditches on both side and few turn outs. But like others we have gotten very little snow and what we get is mostly ice. 10 years ago we got almost 4 ft in one week. now I use the plow once the last two winters and probably did not really need to.
I'm trying to assess if my LX2610 has enough power and traction to plow snow off a 1/4 mile gravel drive in southwest Michigan. Been here a while but this is my first tractor.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I'm trying to assess if my LX2610 has enough power and traction to plow snow off a 1/4 mile gravel drive in southwest Michigan. Been here a while but this is my first tractor.
Yes, but you might need chains. Check out GP Outdoors on YouTube. He uses a snow blower and rear blade, but he does use chains.

Steve Bertman

Equipment
LX2610
Sep 11, 2024
Michigan
Thanks for the help and the tip on GP Outdoors! I don't have the budget for a snowblower at this point, so am looking at a trip blade. Might have to get chains.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I'd go with a
The front mount 63" blower would be the thing for that job. A bit pricey, though. My B2782B handles those long drives and deep drifts very well. And sends all the snow well away from the driveway.

edit: btw I've got r4 indutrial tires with no fill or chains. Slap the box scraper on the back for quick and neat fine-tune scraping and access, and traction weight.

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
The 54” JD blade in my previous post was originally on a 2wd JD 425 with rear ag tires, no ballast. It plowed everything I got in NW IN on the edge of the lake effect snow zone. 1200’ gravel driveway.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I sold my rear PTO snowblower two yrs ago. I used it very little. A neck breaker. I did add a cab and heater last year which is unbelievable not having the wind blowing on you and sun shining thru the glass how nice and warm it is with the heater off even. Last winter was a bust here. I plowed three times. Never had the driveway sanded once. No snowmobile trails opened. Sebago lake never froze over. And maple syrup was being made in January not March.
The farmers almanac calls for more of a 'regular ' winter here in the east. We'll know come April.
Back to the snowblower plowing question I did see a local guy here with a long winding mountain gravel driveway mount large casters on his rear blower so it couldn't dig up the driveway but would roll and float along. It left some snow but he didn't care. 90% was blown away and he could get in and out with his Subaru. He also added the round ring skidder chains. He had a 28 or 30 hp kubota a older one.

• Wow

balljovi

Equipment
BX2380, LA344 FEL, Landpride 54" Box Scraper
May 21, 2024
Perth, Ontario, Canada
A frequent question that comes up here revolves around "I have xxxxx. What should I use to remove the snow around here". Usually this results in a plethora of replies with each poster expounding on their own personal favourites. So I thought it might be fun and potentially more useful to condense the pros and cons of each approach in one thread.

Disclaimer: my own personal bias is towards snowblowing, because it seems the best solution for my own particular situation -- up to 18' of snowfall per year through a long wooded lane. So I'll start with the pros and cons of my personal favourite and invite you to join in with your perceptions.

Snowblower.

Advantages:
1. Lowest traction & horsepower requirements in deep snow. Instead of pushing and shoving a heavy load out of the way, a snowblower picks up the snow and tosses it off to the side. In deep snow, one can simply reduce the travel speed and move the snow with no additional stress or strain on the tractor.

2. No tendency to narrow the path over the course of the season. Since the blower tosses the snow well beyond the side of the lane, there are no banks falling back in beside the tractor after the blade passes or shoving the tractor towards the centre.

3. Discharge can be aimed. The combination of chute rotation and deflection allows the operator to place the removed snow anywhere within range of the discharge. EG: pile the snow to the side of an intersecting cleared path or away from the garage.

Snowblower disadvantages:
1. Highest initial cost. A snowblower costs more than a simple blade. In addition, some blades can be used for other purposes like moving dirt, whereas a snowblower is dedicated to one task only.

2. Higher maintenance requirements. A snowblower has moving parts that must be lubed or greased. Chains, gears and bearings eventually wear out.

3. Increased hazards: Snowblowers can ingest objects hidden under the snow -- frequently stones and rocks -- and then either hurl them with considerable force or jam in the mechanism, hopefully breaking only the shear pin. Operations are halted until the mechanism is repaired (it's as much fun changing a shear bolt with frozen fingers as it sounds).

4. Poor performance in wet, sticky snow. Some blowers are better able to handle this than others, but all blowers are subject to plugging under certain circumstances.

5. Slowest method of removing light snow.

Snowblower variations:
1. Rear mounted: Cheapest and often heaviest duty option, this hangs on the existing 3ph, is powered by the existing PTO and requires no special mounts or frames. Will fit a variety of tractors, opening up the used market. The tractor travels on the cleared path. BUT the operator has to twist around in the seat and drive in reverse. Can blow right up to a fixed object.

2. Rear mounted pull-behind: Similar to above, but the intake is on the tractor side so the blower is used while facing forward. Unfortunately, this means the tractor travels on the uncleared snow. Best suited to larger tractors with ag tires. Also, more difficult to get close to fixed objects. Operator can comfortably face forward while operating, although may require some twisting to observe discharge.

3. Front mounted: Most expensive. Tend to be lighter construction to reduce weight. Special mounts or subframes limit models each one can be used with, limiting used market. Requires forward-facing PTO, possibly at non-standard speed, or complicated drive mechanism. More prone to rudder effect (resistance to steering input) in deep snow. Can get right up to fixed objects. Most comfortable operation as the driver faces forward. Best view of discharge for the same reason.

4. Snowthrower (aka: single stage): Lightest construction, usually front mounted and offered for small low-powered (eg: lawn) tractors. These differ from a snowBLOWER in that the intake auger also throws the snow through the chute, instead of a separate impeller below the chute fed by the auger. These are suitable only for dry snow and plug very easily in wet snow. They don't throw the snow as far and may require a higher travel speed to throw it at all in light snow.

Blade:

Advantages:

1. Cheapest and most versatile option. An existing dirt blade can readily be adapted for use with snow, although a lightweight snow blade may not be up to the task of moving dirt.

2. Minimal maintenance. Other than a pivot for angling the blade, there's not much in the way of moving parts to maintain.

3. Fastest method of removing light snow. In fact, sometimes faster is better, giving the snow some momentum to help clear an existing bank.

4. Best way to move wet slushy snow. Blades don't plug up the way a blower can.

5. Best way to get close to objects. Front mounted or rear mounted, the operator can ease right up to an object (eg: garage door), drop the blade and pull the snow away.

6. May push gravel around and off to the side, but doesn't hurl it onto the lawn or through the neighbour's window.

Disadvantages:

1. Doesn't move the snow very far. This can be a huge problem where objects such as trees or fences border the path being cleared. After a few snow falls, such objects become anchors that prevent the bank from moving back and the path starts closing in.

2. Limited control of where the snow ends up. EG: leaves plow rows across intersecting paths that must be cleared.

3. Greatest strain on the equipment. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction; shoving several hundreds of pounds of snow out of the way means several hundreds of pounds of force pushing back. Particularly problematic if the operator tries to ram a frozen bank back further.

4. More likely to require multiple passes. Long paths and/or deep snow eventually leads to spillage past the leading edge of the angled blade, requiring either additional passes or smaller bites.

Variations:

1. Rear mounted. Most commonly seen with dirt blades. While the operator will spend most time facing forward, it may be necessary to twist around when plowing alongside obstructions. Blade and operator must be rotated backwards to push banks back.

2. Front mounted. Usually replaces a FEL bucket. May require 3rd function for angling. Operator faces forward in use with good visibility. Easily pushes banks back without reconfiguring blade direction. In fact, banks can be pushed in stages by initially lifting the blade and pushing the top first. Easy to drag snow back from buildings.

3. Snow pusher. Basically a blade with wings or perhaps a FEL bucket with no bottom, the sides help contain the snow within the confines of the blade without spillage or plow rows. Most useful for piling snow dead ahead instead of off to one side, up to the capacity of the pusher. Of limited use on long runs and deep snow. These tend to come in sizes suitable for large, heavy tractors with good traction and power. The wings limit how close one can get to drag snow back from a building.

Front End Loader

Advantages:

1. Perhaps the most versatile attachment for any tractor. It works with snow as well as it works with dirt. It can pick up loads of snow and cart it away to pile it anywhere you please. And since snow is lighter than dirt, you can fill the bucket to the brim with impunity.

2. Operator is facing forward not twisted around.

3. Possibly the best option for confined areas with limited capacity for piles of snow.

4. Great for heavy, wet, slushy snow.

Disadvantages:

1. Limited capacity. Unlike a blade or blower that continually move snow over a long pass, once the bucket is full you need to go dump it.

2. Limited ability to drag snow backwards away from objects. Even fully dumped, the bucket is angled away from the direction of travel and may tend to ride up on packed snow.

Variations:

1. Since snow is lighter than dirt, one can purchase a separate, larger, snow bucket to increase capacity and further leverage the investment.

OK: What have I missed about your favourite weapon?
Am in the market for a snow moving machine to put on my BX2380. You have covered many of the points I have been pondering. Still a little undecided - Rear blade? Nope. Front mount blower - would love to have but can't justify the expense for just doing my driveway and not looking to get in to the snow removal business - but, you never know. Front mount hydraulic controlled blade? 2 weeks ago I would have said No, but have recently seen on for sale - Considering it. Going to look this weekend. Rear blower- quite likely - and used to boot from a friend down the road. So apt to end up with front mount hyd blade and rear mount blower.

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX2360, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Am in the market for a snow moving machine to put on my BX2380. You have covered many of the points I have been pondering. Still a little undecided - Rear blade? Nope. Front mount blower - would love to have but can't justify the expense for just doing my driveway and not looking to get in to the snow removal business - but, you never know. Front mount hydraulic controlled blade? 2 weeks ago I would have said No, but have recently seen on for sale - Considering it. Going to look this weekend. Rear blower- quite likely - and used to boot from a friend down the road. So apt to end up with front mount hyd blade and rear mount blower.
That's what I have. Reply 77 has a video.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880 with loader, mower and 3 point
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
That's what I have. Reply 77 has a video.
Have looked at a rear blower but my neck would hurting pretty bad afterwards. A rear 3 pt blade has been working good for me. Will be adding a front blade to go on the loader soon.

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
Have looked at a rear blower but my neck would hurting pretty bad afterwards. A rear 3 pt blade has been working good for me. Will be adding a front blade to go on the loader soon.
Inverted Snowblower. No looking back!