TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Good idea.

I did as you suggested and it appears that its not a bad deal, I'm not "stealing it" but I would not be getting "shafted" either.

Unfortunately "negotiating" is a skill set that I do not excel in. As a matter of fact, I kinda suck at it.

If someone tells me a price, and I think its fair, I buy it. If I don't think it's fair I just say "thanks" and walk away. I have made counter offers on some things, but in general I hate having to do it. Although I admit, making offers electronically is easier.

I wish I was better at it in person.

Basically if it goes through, I will have gotten a "fair deal" I believe.
This is the one I want.

Dan

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Even if you throw out everything of the existing pole barn a 36x40, space will evaporate quickly, if getting a larger lathe, I assume you'll be doing metal work, welders, milling machines. fab tables, chop saws, torches, presses, etc. There's always a chance you'll get into some type of woodworking. I suggest taking the next couple of years (while still employed) to build another shop sized to accommodate your needs. Tools and equipment will be always available. There's something to be said about purchasing old equipment restoring it and know what you got.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
One thing I want to emphasize is don't be intimidated by 3 phase! This is my 27" Lehmann lathe that I rebuilt and power it with a variable frequency drive (VFD). These are available on ebay and amazon and can be had for less than $200. The key is you have to double the hp rating if using single phase. This vfd is rated for 40hp to power my 20hp lathe motor. I have it programmed to start the motor on a 10 second ramp up to avoid a huge amperage inrush. Draws 30 amps on start up (programmed the led readout to display amperage) and settles at 19 amps no load. I experimented once by taking a .250" depth of cut with .030" feed per inch on piece of 1045 steel and it handled it with surprising ease. It was blinking the lights though. Of course this vfd was quite expensive but the point is, you get true 3 phase power that is very smooth plus they are programable. For a lathe the size you are looking at I would get one with a built in pot for speed control. Just do a little homework.

IMG_2392.JPG
IMG_2393.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
One thing I want to emphasize is don't be intimidated by 3 phase! This is my 27" Lehmann lathe that I rebuilt and power it with a variable frequency drive (VFD). These are available on ebay and amazon and can be had for less than $200. The key is you have to double the hp rating if using single phase. This vfd is rated for 40hp to power my 20hp lathe motor. I have it programmed to start the motor on a 10 second ramp up to avoid a huge amperage inrush. Draws 30 amps on start up (programmed the led readout to display amperage) and settles at 19 amps no load. I experimented once by taking a .250" depth of cut with .030" feed per inch on piece of 1045 steel and it handled it with surprising ease. It was blinking the lights though. Of course this vfd was quite expensive but the point is, you get true 3 phase power that is very smooth plus they are programable. For a lathe the size you are looking at I would get one with a built in pot for speed control. Just do a little homework.
A VFD is a good option, my son has a small shop with a mill, lathe and grinder and uses those. Since that sort of thing is his line of work so it was easy for him. Since Run with Scissors has time to weigh the options he would do well to research VFD's along with static, rotary and homemade devices.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Been down that same road myself. Figured I should buy everything I imagined I would like to have for metal machining BEFORE I retired. I’d worry about becoming proficient at using them later…

That was around 15 years ago. Went on for several years…

So now my 16’x40’, plus 12’x12’ work space, is SO full of tools I don’t use, and probably never will, that I can hardly work in it.

Actually turns out that I didn’t develop the interest in machining that I thought I had.

What I really need to do is sell some things. 6x12 surface grinder, small horizontal mill, and two 7” South Bend metal shapers ( long story) are examples that come to mind first…but I am not too interested in dealing with that Hassle.

All I can think to say is: BEWARE!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
A VFD is a good option, my son has a small shop with a mill, lathe and grinder and uses those. Since that sort of thing is his line of work so it was easy for him. Since Run with Scissors has time to weigh the options he would do well to research VFD's along with static, rotary and homemade devices.
This is a hot button issue on machine tool forums. I started walking this road 30 years ago when I bought my first lathe and i have tried it all. So let me share my view and real life experience.

VFDs are great for sophisticated motor control. Thats what they are designed to do and they are the standard form of control on a modern CNC machne. The machine will have many of them packed side by side in the control panel which will be getting true POCO three phase input power

But VFDs are not well suited to converting single phase to three phase for powering a shop. Yes they can synthesize 3P but that is not their real purpose. An RPC will do that just as well and at 1/10th cost.

Here is just one of my machines. It has 4 drive motors totaling 14 HP and each motor is controlled by old school
mechanical contactors and gear boxes. It would require 4 VFDs for individual motor control or one 20 HP VFD if all I used it for was phase conversion. Thats several thousand dollars.

1000000220.jpg

Instead I built the home brew 20HP rotary phase converter and power distribution system you see on the wall from surplus items and less than $500. The RPC supplies quality 3P power to a 3P load center. The load center has multiple branch circuits with individual circuit breakers that feed the individual machines. It is functionally equivalent to having real POCO three phase service.

Here is my botom line.

If all you have is one machine with a single motor and want sophisticated motor control a VFD is a good solution. Iif you have multiple machines, or one machine with multiple motors and you dont need electronic motor control an RPC is much cheaper and just as effective.

Dan

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
A lot if people reading this threadxare probably thinking this three phase conversion stuff is FM. Its not.

Here is a simplified schematic for a static phase converter. Nothing more than some run caps to generate the third leg from the two single phase supplies and a start cap to kick start the load motor. Your load motor HP gets derated by 20% or more.

1000000222.gif

Here is a rotary phase converter. All it does is add an idler motor to the circuit to help condition and balance the phases. The start cap now kick starts the idler motor and once its runnning the load motor(s) can be started and stopped with the machine controls.

1000000223.jpg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Been down that same road myself. Figured I should buy everything I imagined I would like to have for metal machining BEFORE I retired. I’d worry about becoming proficient at using them later…

So now my 16’x40’, plus 12’x12’ work space, is SO full of tools I don’t use, and probably never will, that I can hardly work in it.

Actually turns out that I didn’t develop the interest in machining that I thought I had.

What I really need to do is sell some things. 6x12 surface grinder, small horizontal mill, and two 7” South Bend metal shapers ( long story) are examples that come to mind first…but I am not too interested in dealing with that Hassle.

Send one of the shapers my way. I will make it hassle free.....

Dan

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I started with the rotary phase converter 30 years ago because that was the best way to go back then. Had issues with the manufactured leg (aka wild leg) messing with the motor logic starters on some of my machines. Had to convert them back to the old style heater type. At no load, the wild leg would read 280v and of course drop under load to close enough to 240v to stay within 10% that the motor would allow. You can balance this out with run capacitors. Loads of info out there if this is the way you choose.

But for a lathe the vfd is awesome! Speed control (think tapping and reaming) is a huge plus. Reversing is another option on some but not if the lathe has a reversing switch built in. Circuit protection is built in to most and certainly every one that I buy. These are the other machines I power in my shop with them.

IMG_2394.JPG
IMG_2395.JPG

IMG_2396.JPG
IMG_2397.JPG

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I was gifted a large air compressor at the old house. It came with a 7-1/2hp 3ph motor. It was easier for me to fine a single phase motor to convert it.
I am not familiar with the machines you are looking at but if there is only a single 3ph motor, it might be easier to just convert the motor

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I was gifted a large air compressor at the nold house. It came with a 7-1/2hp 3ph gl. E It was easier for me to fine a single phase motor to convert it.
I am not familiar with the machines you are looking at but if there is only a single 3ph motor, it might be easier to just convert the motor
3 phase compressors and RPCs are not a good match. The heavy dury 5HP 3P motor that was on my old Wayne compressor is now an idler for the RPC and a new single phase Weg is on the compressor. Once you get much above 5 HP single phase motors are not attractive due to performance and price.

Dan

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa

There is a line in the fabulous book Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy " There is no joy in the tavern as upon the road thereto" that often comes to mind when I enter my 30 x 40 ft garage filled with machinery aggressively and enthusiastically accumulated , needed (I thought) to make giant sculptures. It didn't take long for that fire to fizzle. Its easy to buy the stuff...... The line by McCarthy comes after a tragedy had occurred.