B8200 convert to power steering

Killfast11

Equipment
B8200hst-ep
May 8, 2022
Saabatage1!
Basically gonna follow the one thread on here but have a few questions.

My 8200 is a 2 wheel drive hst. I have no plans to put a fel on it as it's only 2 wheel drive.

So doing this and using the valve block by the brakes, do I need a 5 port jd steering or can I use a 4 port one?

If I use a 5 port, can I just t the aux and the out together and go back to the return on the valve block by the brakes?

Thanks in advance

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
this link may help ???

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Basically gonna follow the one thread on here but have a few questions.

My 8200 is a 2 wheel drive hst. I have no plans to put a fel on it as it's only 2 wheel drive.

So doing this and using the valve block by the brakes, do I need a 5 port jd steering or can I use a 4 port one?

If I use a 5 port, can I just t the aux and the out together and go back to the return on the valve block by the brakes?

Thanks in advance
You need a flow divider to split the output from the hydraulic block into two separate circuits. One circuit feeds the PS valve and the other powers the 3pt.

I dont know the specifics of the JD systems. Can you explain what the 5 port one does?

Dan

Last edited:

Killfast11

Equipment
B8200hst-ep
May 8, 2022
Saabatage1!
this link may help ???

That's the one I'm basically following.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
That's the one I'm basically following.
I only skimmed that but if I understand correctly all B8200s had two PS ports on the OEM outlet block. That block is a priority flow divider so all you need is a PS valve with 4 ports.

PSout on tractor block -> pressure in on the PS valve
PSrtn on tractor block -> pressure out on the PS valve.

The other two ports on the PS valve go to the steering cylinder.

You might want to pay attention to the flows and oressures shown in the Kubota manual and compare them to the requirements of your PS system.

Dan

Killfast11

Equipment
B8200hst-ep
May 8, 2022
Saabatage1!
Thats k
I only skimmed that but if I understand correctly all B8200s had two PS ports on the OEM outlet block. That block is a priority flow divider so all you need is a PS valve with 4 ports.

PSout on tractor block -> pressure in on the PS valve
PSrtn on tractor block -> pressure out on the PS valve.

The other two ports on the PS valve go to the steering cylinder.

You might want to pay attention to the flows and oressures shown in the Kubota manual and compare them to the requirements of your PS system.

Dan
KIndah what I was thinking. This is a 2 wheel drive and I'm never gonna put a fel on it. So don't need a power beyond on it

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thats k

KIndah what I was thinking. This is a 2 wheel drive and I'm never gonna put a fel on it. So don't need a power beyond on it
Careful with terminology.

The OEM block is your power beyond. It splits the PS flow off to the valve and sends the excess if any to "power beyond".

If you ever put a control valve (TnT??) on the tractor you we would simply turn the selector on the block to the implement position and that will reroute the excess flow to aux valve using the other two ports on the block. The TnT vslve would return power beyond back to the outlet block.

Dan

Killfast11

Equipment
B8200hst-ep
May 8, 2022
Saabatage1!
Careful with terminology.

The OEM block is your power beyond. It splits the PS flow off to the valve and sends the excess if any to "power beyond".

If you ever put a control valve (TnT??) on the tractor you we would simply turn the selector on the block to the implement position and that will reroute the excess flow to aux valve using the other two ports on the block. The TnT vslve would return power beyond back to the outlet block.

Dan

True, I was referring to the power beyond on the steering unit

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You have power in and power out, so Power beyond.
Hydrostatic steering works just like any other normal hydraulic valve.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
You do need Power beyond, as that what the three point uses.
PS does not supply the 3pt.

On some models the PS circuit is a separate independent circuit created by the priority flow divider. The loader, backhoe, rear remotes, and 3pt are fed from the excess flow side of the priority valve.

1000000212.jpg

On other models a tandem hydraulic pump is used. The PS circuit is supplied from one section and the second section supplies the loader, backhoe, remotes, and 3pt.

Dan

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
You have power in and power out, so Power beyond.
Hydrostatic steering works just like any other normal hydraulic valve.
Think about that. When you turn the wheels you would lose your loader and 3pt hydraulics. Not good.

That's why PS is a different isolated circuit that returns to tank or on some HST machines acts as the charge pump.

Dan

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
Thats k

Doesn't matter if you're going to have a FEL on it regardless. the FEL would hook up to different hydraulic ports. The b8200 hydraulic block has dedicated PS ports.

So you can use a 4port, or a 5 port with PB, like I did in the above guide, and loop it into the return.

Also, all these years later, i'm still amazed folks keep finding that thread.

Update, I recently broke the bolt holding the cylinder to the frame, after all these years. I replaced it, but just be aware you can break it if you're not careful. It's an easy fix and definitely better than breaking anything else.

Killfast11

Equipment
B8200hst-ep
May 8, 2022
Saabatage1!
Doesn't matter if you're going to have a FEL on it regardless. the FEL would hook up to different hydraulic ports. The b8200 hydraulic block has dedicated PS ports.

So you can use a 4port, or a 5 port with PB, like I did in the above guide, and loop it into the return.

Update, I recently broke the bolt holding the cylinder to the frame, after all these years. I replaced it, but just be aware you can break it if you're not careful. It's an easy fix and definitely better than breaking anything else.
Your thread was a very good alternative to a fairly common problem.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Well since nobody answered my question I had to ask Google.

The 4 port 318 steering valve is a simple open center steering valve. If you use the return port to power a fown stream valve (a loader, remotes. 3pt) operation of the down stream valves will put the actuators in series with the steering cylinders resulting in loss of steering and/or down stream operation. It was and is a bad and potentially dangerous idea.

Because of that JD replaced the 4 port valve with a 5 port version. The 5 port valve incorporates a priority flow divider and steering vslve in a single housing. The flow divider section separates the inlet glow into two independent circuits. and isolates the steering flow from the downstream flow. The PS flow has prority and returns straight to tank. Any excess inlet flow is sent to the down stream valve.

If you connect the 5 port valve to a B8200 PS circuit you do not need or want the 5th port and if used it should return straight to tank. That effectively makes it a 4 port valve.

Now if you wanted to use a JD valve to add PS to a B7200 the opposite is true.

The B7200 does not have a built in priority valve of its own and you would need the 5 port steering valve. In this case you MUST move the selector valve on the tractors block to the loader position and use those two ports to connect the PS valve. Pump OUT on the tractor would go to pump IN on the steering valve, AUX out on the steering valve would return to implement return on the tractors block and PS out would return direct to tank.

Alternatuvely, if you had a 4 port steering valve you could use it and a standalone priority flow divider like this one to emulate operation of the 5 port valve.

You would connect the IN port on the flow divider to pump OUT on the tractors block and connect the excess OUT port on the flow divider to the implement return port on the tractors block. The priority port on the flow divider would them feed the 4 port PS valve which would return straight to tank.

Dan

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Fatjay, what have you been up to? Last time I remember you were building a cab for your B8200 and playing in mud on a rental.