2019 B26 with BT820 backhoe.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Have yet to find a ripper to fit B26 QA. Some manufacturers will sell you the ripper made to add your own ears.

Just ordered a ripper to fit the M59, KK-mini-excavator QA mount from USA attachments. Bought buckets and QA from them before. Studying to maybe use the B26 ears to make an adapter to use the Kubota miniX buckets and ripper on the B26? Kubota miniX buckets are much more available. The B26 QA nests inside the KK QA. Only obstacle is checking for clearance of the thumb linkage while keeping the geometry close. Need to pursue the idea a little more. Ripper is not that heavy, 150#, 22” by 1” thick shank.

The OEM B26 QA backhoe buckets are made for heavy use and nearly twice as heavy as their pin-on option buckets. Needed as this little backhoe swings above it’s weight class.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Kurt Shaul

Equipment
B26 loader backhoe, 820 backhoe
Dec 24, 2022
Kelseyville Ca
On topic, just an observation. As popular as the B26 is and coupled with the extraordinary utility and strength of the BT820 backhoe I am amazed at the total absence of add ons. From thumbs to buckets. Why a company like BXpanded doesn’t roll out the simplest of attachments for it, such as a ripper baffles me.
Seems a person could develop a market pretty quickly with the minimum of advertising. Hmmmm.

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Many of owners of this this of equipment are able to make their own modifications.

Any Kubota dealer can order you a 12” QA bucket or ears. Online you can find the prices. Better to talk to a salesperson than parts because sourced thru Wholegoods.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I sort of wonder if the lack of available options for B26s has to do with how many of them are in rental fleets. Customer asks for a thumb or ripper and gets told “you need to rent the mini ex if you want that..”

RTrider

Equipment
B26, L3400
Sep 20, 2024
Virginia
Good ears are usually made by bucket manufacturers. High strength steel, stops and flares. I could make them for hot rolled but at half the Strength.
Hi Smokeydog,

could you give me the part number for those Kubota ear blanks? Thank you so much for your help

Matt

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Check with these guys, they were super helpful with my 6" bucket for L47.

RTrider

Equipment
B26, L3400
Sep 20, 2024
Virginia
Check with these guys, they were super helpful with my 6" bucket for L47.
Thanks for the info. I reached out to Rhinox and they were amazing. They provided engineering drawings for the KX040 and KX018-4 ripper tooth but neither fit the BT820 quick attach

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Hi Smokeydog,

could you give me the part number for those Kubota ear blanks? Thank you so much for your help

Matt
I looked back on my receipts.
Not normal receipt I guess since dealer ordered thru Wholegoods. Used to be able to google Kubota Wholegoods and see prices and optional equipment. Today I couldn’t find it.
part# might be 870899? $240 for ears.

Did make an adapter to use KX 40 quick attach attachment on the B26.
IMG_2699.jpeg
IMG_2697.jpeg
IMG_2693.jpeg
IMG_2692.jpeg

Compare 12” KX and B26 buckets
IMG_2667.jpeg

Made bigger, taller outrigger pads and cylinder guards with steps.
IMG_2744.jpeg
IMG_2758.jpeg
IMG_2759.jpeg

Out hillside farm benefits by having more range to plumb the backhoe. The optional OEM rubber pads grip amazingly well.

RTrider

Equipment
B26, L3400
Sep 20, 2024
Virginia
I looked back on my receipts.
Not normal receipt I guess since dealer ordered thru Wholegoods. Used to be able to google Kubota Wholegoods and see prices and optional equipment. Today I couldn’t find it.
part# might be 870899? $240 for ears.

Did make an adapter to use KX 40 quick attach attachment on the B26.
View attachment 138101 View attachment 138102 View attachment 138103 View attachment 138104
Compare 12” KX and B26 buckets
View attachment 138105
Made bigger, taller outrigger pads and cylinder guards with steps. View attachment 138107 View attachment 138108 View attachment 138109

Out hillside farm benefits by having more range to plumb the backhoe. The optional OEM rubber pads grip amazingly well.
Smokeydog, the pictures and info are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks for the info. I reached out to Rhinox and they were amazing. They provided engineering drawings for the KX040 and KX018-4 ripper tooth but neither fit the BT820 quick attach
You might want to check with OX Thumbs, of Carrollton, GA.
770-863-4653
They build thumbs and rippers.
Perhaps they can make something for you.
I have their 25" Q/A ripper for my L48 TLB, and love it!

OOPS: Wrong phone number.
Should be: 770-862-4653

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Studying some comments…
I think Kubota doesn’t sell ears for pin on buckets, only QA.

Pin on ears would not be too hard to fabricate. You have an example to measure and duplicate.

Check local dealers for pin on buckets thru sales not parts departments. There might be some in the weeds.
Facebook marketplace another resource to check or place an ad for.

Hate to cut a bucket but a bucket could be used for material to make a ripper.

BXpanded is a local company that has done some custom work for me. They did not think their ripper shank would be strong enough for the B26. We’re not interested in making a B26 ripper. This was years ago.

Convert to mini-X QA. Many options for buckets, trencher buckets, rippers and many other attachments.

Several members have tried to find a ripper for our B26 without success and made their own. I’m surprised a niche manufacturer hasn’t met the need. Maybe if they could get an order for 5-20 they cover their development cost, jigs and a little profit. Would enough B26 owners pay $800 for 1” hardox shank ripper ???

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Studying some comments…

Pin on ears would not be too hard to fabricate. You have an example to measure and duplicate.

Check local dealers for pin on buckets thru sales not parts departments. There might be some in the weeds.

BXpanded is a local company that has done some custom work for me. They did not think their ripper shank would be strong enough for the B26. We’re not interested in making a B26 ripper. This was years ago.

Convert to mini-X QA. Many options for buckets, trencher buckets, rippers and many other attachments.

Several members have tried to find a ripper for our B26 without success and made their own. I’m surprised a niche manufacturer hasn’t met the need. Maybe if they could get an order for 5-20 they cover their development cost, jigs and a little profit. Would enough B26 owners pay $800 for 1” hardox shank ripper ???
"would enough B26 owners pay $800 for 1" hardox shank ripper"?
I THINK NOT!
Though,.....I paid $1,000 for my 1"x 25" hardox OX Thumbs ripper, and was happy to be able to get it!

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
"would enough B26 owners pay $800 for 1" hardox shank ripper"?
I THINK NOT!
Though,.....I paid $1,000 for my 1"x 25" hardox OX Thumbs ripper, and was happy to be able to get it!
I would have paid $800 for a turn key tooth. Paid $925 for KX mini tooth. There is some economy of scale of a specialty item to consider. If it was easy there would be many in the market. A shank without a replaceable tooth could be $400 range? A better group price if there was some commitment?

Shipping kills small business competitiveness on heavy items.

Reference previous photo. Not a huge difference between KX 040 12” bucket and B26 12” bucket. KX bucket about $300 cheaper. So maybe the smart money for an entrepreneur fabricator would be to offer single adapter that allows either pin-on or QA B26 backhoe use KX mini attachments. Sell the old bucket(s) to cover most of the cost. Used B26 buckets are hard to find. . Sold my M59 pin-on bucket for nearly the cost of a new better made KX bucket in two days. Guy that bought it been looking for over a year.

Like our L48 and M59 KX QA opens a much larger inventory and lower cost optional attachments.

RTrider

Equipment
B26, L3400
Sep 20, 2024
Virginia
Studying some comments…

I think $800 for a high quality ripper would be a great value. The Rhinox and Ox rippers are slightly over $1000. Another idea would be making a KX018 or KX040 converter plate like you did Smokeydog. That way lots of attachments could be used

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I think $800 for a high quality ripper would be a great value. The Rhinox and Ox rippers are slightly over $1000. Another idea would be making a KX018 or KX040 converter plate like you did Smokeydog. That way lots of attachments could be used
I do agree that $800 would be a "great value"
I just doubt how many owners of the little B26 would actually buy it!

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
BXPanded customers praises the benefits of their ripper tooth. Think any low hp machine could benefit.

B26 TLBs are popular rental and landscaping machines. Home Depot has two near me. Maybe little but surprisingly strong for their size. Skidsteers are great but are messy for landscaping maintenance. $800 is <2% of a new machine. Surprised someone hasn’t tapped into the aftermarket accessories.

“Most people don’t recognize a golden opportunity because it comes dressed in coveralls and looks like hard work.” Thomas Edison

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
BXPanded customers praises the benefits of their ripper tooth. Think any low hp machine could benefit.

B26 TLBs are popular rental and landscaping machines. Home Depot has two near me. Maybe little but surprisingly strong for their size. Skidsteers are great but are messy for landscaping maintenance. $800 is <2% of a new machine. Surprised someone hasn’t tapped into the aftermarket accessories.

“Most people don’t recognize a golden opportunity because it comes dressed in coveralls and looks like hard work.” Thomas Edison
I also do not think that many can appreciate the actual value of a ripper, until they have used one.