Broke lift arm turnbuckle stabilizer on my L275DT- what to replace assembly with?

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
I got impatient and heavy handed with a rust frozen threaded rod in the stabilizer turnbuckle and sheared it off at the thread. I'd consider welding it back, but that'd probably not hold up to the torque required to get the still stuck rod out even if I keep soaking it with Kroil.

IMG_0162.jpg

I've seen similar turnbuckles, as well as chains, but looking into this, I found out about telescoping stabilizers. I haven't found any that will work for my L275 yet though. I don't know if there are adapter kits for some telescoping stabilizers.

The OEM stabilizer connected with a 16mm shaft going through the lift arm and a nut on the other side. I can salvage that part of it as needed.

What is my best option here? the tractor gets somewhat limited use, so I can deal with a little bit of a PITA regarding adjustments as long as it's a reliable solution.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Jerry Riggins might have a solution. Maybe he'll hop in here with some ideas.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I'd kroil, heat, wax or whatever to try and extract the threaded part. Small pipe wrench on it or grab it in a vise. See if you can find just that end of the assembly at a dealership. If you can't find it just buy a piece of left-handed allthread. You can cut the broken part out of the eye and weld the allthread into it. Short pieces are on the net for under $10.

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
I'd kroil, heat, wax or whatever to try and extract the threaded part. Small pipe wrench on it or grab it in a vise. See if you can find just that end of the assembly at a dealership. If you can't find it just buy a piece of left-handed allthread. You can cut the broken part out of the eye and weld the allthread into it. Short pieces are on the net for under $10.
It was a pipe wrench and a vice that got me into this predicament. Those threads are stuck pretty bad. Overnight Kroil soaking was not quite sufficient. I was heating and adding wax this morning, and I thought I was getting movement on one side, but then the other side that was clamped in the vice broke.

Maybe a week long soaking with Kroil would have worked. I'll probably need the tractor before then, hence my impatience this morning. I should have known better....

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I had a similar situation.
I clamped the part vertically in a vise, and sprayed the threads (and tapped) daily with Kroil.
Took a couple weeks, but eventually the Kroil followed the threads, and I got the assembly apart.
PATIENCE!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I got impatient and heavy handed with a rust frozen threaded rod in the stabilizer turnbuckle and sheared it off at the thread. I'd consider welding it back, but that'd probably not hold up to the torque required to get the still stuck rod out even if I keep soaking it with Kroil.

View attachment 138169

I've seen similar turnbuckles, as well as chains, but looking into this, I found out about telescoping stabilizers. I haven't found any that will work for my L275 yet though. I don't know if there are adapter kits for some telescoping stabilizers.

The OEM stabilizer connected with a 16mm shaft going through the lift arm and a nut on the other side. I can salvage that part of it as needed.

What is my best option here? the tractor gets somewhat limited use, so I can deal with a little bit of a PITA regarding adjustments as long as it's a reliable solution.
A heavy duty turnbuckle of the appropriate size will do the job. Readily available at TSC or hardware stores. I have two purchased from TSC on my old B7200.

Dan

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Give Lance Newhall a shout....he always has a source for stuff when i've needed it before for these elderly L models!

007kubotaguy
Hello. You can reach me at 209-712-4066.
I am in central california. Thank you
Lance Newhall

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Don't soak, SUBMERGE the part(preferably quite warm) in oil, then walk away for at least 2 days.
You need patience to allow oil to slowly seep into the threads.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There is a member @hodge that can make you a custom set. I recall he may have some difficulty with where they attach (on a L185) but your’s seem much longer than those.

See this thread for examples.

He may have a long lead time??

I would try to repair yours for the interim term.

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
I'll try to fix them for backups. If I can make a sleeve to slip over the welded joint and then weld that also, the strength would be there. I'd lose a few threads, but will anyway.

I've soaked parts in diesel fuel before (not this part), without any success. I didn't heat them before, though. I don't know if oil would be different...

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'll try to fix them for backups. If I can make a sleeve to slip over the welded joint and then weld that also, the strength would be there. I'd lose a few threads, but will anyway.

I've soaked parts in diesel fuel before (not this part), without any success. I didn't heat them before, though. I don't know if oil would be different...

Reactions: 1 user

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
There is a member @hodge that can make you a custom set. I recall he may have some difficulty with where they attach (on a L185) but your’s seem much longer than those.

See this thread for examples.

He may have a long lead time??

I would try to repair yours for the interim term.
For the record, my long lead time has dwindled over the last 3 1/2 years. I am down to working week to week, so the lead time is typically a week or so for now.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
If you have a Tractor Supply or similar farm store, stop by there and see what they have that will work.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
For the record, my long lead time has dwindled over the last 3 1/2 years. I am down to working week to week, so the lead time is typically a week or so for now.
Well that’s good news. I won’t mention anything about long lead time again!

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
IMG_0669.jpeg
I’
These import telescopic sway bars were common years ago eBay, amazon, weavers. Modified to fit both the M59 and B26(photo). Have held up to lots abuse from mowing and grading. Had to do a little welding for the B26. Change some hardware and bolts for the M59.