Help figuring out what I need for my new property

ParisPeak

Equipment
TBD
Aug 21, 2024
Paris, VA
I was finally able to get to my lot and take some pics. While I have trail cameras there, they are pointed at the house site and not the woods so I couldn't download them. Attached are some views of my driveway (nearly 1/2 mile long - where I'll need to cut the grass and keep the brush back on either side), a view of the slope that I want to thin so that I can expand my view, and, to get a sense of my maintenance requirements over time, an area where the undergrowth was cleared out a year ago and now has grown back some.

After walking around in the forest, I see that I have random boulders laying around as well as numerous downed trees. I'm guessing that any company that I pay is going to have a problem with getting their forestry mulchers through these parts and will have to do some hand work around them or perhaps leave them for me to do on my own over time.

I've started looking at skid steers with a bucket, root grapple, skidding winch, and a separate zero turn for grass areas. Still need to think about a chipper. Hopefully, I'll be able to find slightly used stuff to stay within or near budget. As mentioned, I'll also starting calling professional land clearing companies to see what they can do and costs. This will probably throw me over budget but I could have them clear sections over time.

Oh, forgot to mentioned that I had previously reached out to the Virginia Dept of Forestry. They came out and were supposed to give me a forestry plan. But after numerous messages out to them for the last year, I've given up on them and will look to hire someone myself.

Thanks for your input!

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Oh my…that looks awesome. I can’t imagine what the rest looks like. Congratulations on all that!👍

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I was finally able to get to my lot and take some pics. While I have trail cameras there, they are pointed at the house site and not the woods so I couldn't download them. Attached are some views of my driveway (nearly 1/2 mile long - where I'll need to cut the grass and keep the brush back on either side), a view of the slope that I want to thin so that I can expand my view, and, to get a sense of my maintenance requirements over time, an area where the undergrowth was cleared out a year ago and now has grown back some.

After walking around in the forest, I see that I have random boulders laying around as well as numerous downed trees. I'm guessing that any company that I pay is going to have a problem with getting their forestry mulchers through these parts and will have to do some hand work around them or perhaps leave them for me to do on my own over time.

I've started looking at skid steers with a bucket, root grapple, skidding winch, and a separate zero turn for grass areas. Still need to think about a chipper. Hopefully, I'll be able to find slightly used stuff to stay within or near budget. As mentioned, I'll also starting calling professional land clearing companies to see what they can do and costs. This will probably throw me over budget but I could have them clear sections over time.

Oh, forgot to mentioned that I had previously reached out to the Virginia Dept of Forestry. They came out and were supposed to give me a forestry plan. But after numerous messages out to them for the last year, I've given up on them and will look to hire someone myself.

Thanks for your input!
Looks beautiful!
How much acreage?