What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
lol, higher than I've ever been! Our radio club put up a 160' of Rohn 45, 40 years ago and I got to see the view from that :)
Not only was the tower 200' tall, it was on top of one of the highest ridges in our area. I could probably see for 20 miles up there on a crisp late-spring day. Of course, I was somewhat dehydrated, VERY sunburnt, and completely exhausted from installing the last 100 feet of tower, a 10m quad-yag, and a 2m omni (that nearly killed me because it's owner forgot to unplug it from the ungrounded extension cord before hoisting the antenna to me). But otherwise, it was a very fun day. Hanging around with all my radio buds was ALWAYS a fun day.

Reactions: 2 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Looks good. Probably a lot quieter than the two metal .50 cal boxes I mounted on my ROPS. I keep a bare minimum of tools and a rag to wipe off the hydraulic fittings in one, and a 20-foot 3/8” chain and clevises in the other. My usual configuration is the grapple on front and the box blade on the back on top of which I keep a t-shaped homemade stump puller to use with the chain. I modified my 3p tow bar to fit on the QH so I can swap pretty quickly if needed. I still need to modify my subsoiler so it will fit on the WH as well.

I have a 20mm metal ammo case too, but the top isn’t hinged on it (snap latches both ends). It would be pretty handy if I could figure out a place to mount it.

Reactions: 1 users

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
I helped my cousin install a culvert and create a driveway.
Gravel had to be put off till next month.

IMG_0053.jpeg
IMG_0054.jpeg
IMG_0055.jpeg
IMG_0057.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
How much weight can those plastic culvert pipes support?
I don’t know exactly, but they’re double walled state DOT standard.

12 years ago we installed same culvert pipe, except 12” instead of 18”, in the same area.
The first load of gravel was delivered in a tri-axle grossing around 68,000lbs.
There were some tire tracks in the back fill, but culvert itself was not affected.

Reactions: 2 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
They are very strong, but the backfill requirement should include stabilized sand or concrete. In our county, we just have to pay for the culverts and materials(stabilize & base rock) the county sends out a crew and the county installs it at no additional costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

fc1

Equipment
L3940
Apr 17, 2024
Michigan
62mph winds here last night; power flickered 4x and then went down for good (we're now on the ~18th hour of genset power...).

My neighbor's tree took out the power; after it was determined the breaker up the street was open (= downed lines inert) my orange machinery* and I helped to clean up the road and remove the downed tree from where the repair crew will need access. First legit night tractoring; wished for ROPS-mounted LEDs!

*Kubota L3940+Stihl MS261C

Reactions: 6 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I don’t know exactly, but they’re double walled state DOT standard.

12 years ago we installed same culvert pipe, except 12” instead of 18”, in the same area.
The first load of gravel was delivered in a tri-axle grossing around 68,000lbs.
There were some tire tracks in the back fill, but culvert itself was not affected.
So dropping one in and covering it with 6-8" of RAP would be totally sufficient for a 1 ton truck or tractor 😂
I basically want a "maintenance entrance" on the far side of our property. The land is cut in half by a creek with banks too high to scale. Unless I used the tractor to create a crossing. Don't really want to do that.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
@The Evil Twin - I have a similar 24" pipe put in by my village. Installation is quite close to the job @beckmurph did.

I don't know rating, but it's had 20+ loads of 15 yards of stone, several concrete trucks and even a concrete pump truck on it without issue.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So dropping one in and covering it with 6-8" of RAP would be totally sufficient for a 1 ton truck or tractor 😂
I basically want a "maintenance entrance" on the far side of our property. The land is cut in half by a creek with banks too high to scale. Unless I used the tractor to create a crossing. Don't really want to do that.
Best to cover with a sand like, somewhat fine, material to distribute the pressure evenly around, and on top of the pipe.
Good to add some inches of moderately coarse material, after actually covering the pipe.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Best to cover with a sand like, somewhat fine, material to distribute the pressure evenly around, and on top of the pipe.
Good to add some inches of moderately coarse material, after actually covering the pipe.
If it were a primary entrance, I probably would. It's just to get across the ditch that's maybe 14" deep so i can get into the woods a couple times a year. The RAP has a lot of pea gravel and smaller. Down to fines. The driveway is nearly like asphalt after a year. I think it'll be fine.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If it were a primary entrance, I probably would. It's just to get across the ditch that's maybe 14" deep so i can get into the woods a couple times a year. The RAP has a lot of pea gravel and smaller. Down to fines. The driveway is nearly like asphalt after a year. I think it'll be fine.
I am not familiar with your "RAP" term, but your description of it seems fine.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
GREAT stuff!
Wish I could get it at a realistic price.
You ain't kidding. Best around here is $9 / ton with a full load. I have used the guy for millings, gravel and fill so he gives pretty good prices. Plus, he lives in the area so he drops it on the way home. Less fuel and travel time.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
You ain't kidding. Best around here is $9 / ton with a full load. I have used the guy for millings, gravel and fill so he gives pretty good prices. Plus, he lives in the area so he drops it on the way home. Less fuel and travel time.
A lot cheaper than crusher run or rock waste, which is what I used to cross one drainage ditch on my property. I have clay soil so one got put in the second ditch with just the clay which was very dry and crumbled nicely when I set the culvert. The biggest objective is to make sure you pack as you fill, unless you use sand/crusher/millings which will self-pack. The dirt is what's supporting anything that goes over the culvert. The culvert just makes a hole for water to get through. The double wall is to keep the inside of the culvert smooth so that silt/sand don't settle in the corrugations and give roots a place to get started which will lead to the culvert getting plugged up.

I'm about to test my theories about the strength of the culvert in a couple weeks. I put the culvert in shortly after I bought the LX, and its been holding up beautifully since. Having 4 trees taken down behind my shop, and the tree service is bringing in a monster to take them down in chunks. Sorta like the giant tree cutters, but just a straight boom on a machine similar to an industrial crane. I'm hoping to get a few saw logs out of all of it.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
A lot cheaper than crusher run or rock waste, which is what I used to cross one drainage ditch on my property. I have clay soil so one got put in the second ditch with just the clay which was very dry and crumbled nicely when I set the culvert. The biggest objective is to make sure you pack as you fill, unless you use sand/crusher/millings which will self-pack. The dirt is what's supporting anything that goes over the culvert. The culvert just makes a hole for water to get through. The double wall is to keep the inside of the culvert smooth so that silt/sand don't settle in the corrugations and give roots a place to get started which will lead to the culvert getting plugged up.

I'm about to test my theories about the strength of the culvert in a couple weeks. I put the culvert in shortly after I bought the LX, and its been holding up beautifully since. Having 4 trees taken down behind my shop, and the tree service is bringing in a monster to take them down in chunks. Sorta like the giant tree cutters, but just a straight boom on a machine similar to an industrial crane. I'm hoping to get a few saw logs out of all of it.
Yeah man. Probably going to do the original driveway in millings also. Right now it's half n half. The wife isn't too keen on the non uniform color 🙄 Another thought is to tar n chip it. That will unify the color, but have a legitimate solid surface in front of the house/ main garage. We have so much road work towards the city that RAP is a very economical way to go. And it's usually got so much binder in it that it self hardens for the most part.
Guess I should call the county to see if I can just do it, or if I need some silly permit.