Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Mine cuts 4 x 4 x 1/4 wall steel tubing like butter with perfect cuts unlike my bandsaw that would take 15 minutes for the same cut. Have an aluminum cutting blade for it also. If you deal with scrap shapes it's a great tool. I use an abrasive saw for hardened steels but that makes sparks and a big mess.
The magnet is nice because I just hold it over a garbage can and pull the handle that allows the chips to fall right off.
I have the Evolution S380CPS – Heavy Duty 15 Inch Metal Cutting Chop Saw and the
Evolution S210CCS 8-1/4" Heavy Duty Metal Cutting Circular Saw and a Lotos LTP7000 70Amp Plasma cutter.

All of them work incredibly well!

drygulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525, ever changing attachments
May 30, 2024
Georgia
www.ebay.com
I have the Evolution S380CPS – Heavy Duty 15 Inch Metal Cutting Chop Saw and the
Evolution S210CCS 8-1/4" Heavy Duty Metal Cutting Circular Saw and a Lotos LTP7000 70Amp Plasma cutter.

All of them work incredibly well!
Ever need to sharpen or replace the Evolution blades?

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I destroyed one in less then 30 seconds cutting a piece of scrap angle that I didn't know was hardened. Since then I only cut material that I know is soft (some shipping crates are made of hardened angle). Luckily it had a couple years of use before I removed the teeth. For Chinese blades they cut nice and last.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Mine uses a similar concept. Was recommended by some old timer on Len's Auto Body Forum. (decades gone now I believe). Until now, I had never seen it used again.

Pictures aren't great, but basically copper was plumbed into switchbacks, behind the fan/pulley, that drain back into the tank.

I also have a Sharpe F88 filter after the copper (bought from Len's store). Filter never appears to need draining. Never had issues with blasting, plasma, whatever.

Love the repurposed baseboard heaters. (y)
I've seen this switchback method used in a personal autobody shop. Theirs come from the pump and started at the top- blowing down the switchback. On the bottom leg it dropped to a long straight with a drain. Above the drain about 18" was a "Y" which continued the loop to the tank, which also had a water separator just before going into the tank.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I haven't trashed one yet, replacements are in the $80 range.
We have cut $1000 worth of square tubing with it without any issues.

I'm looking to get a blade sharper as I have 100's (not an exaggeration) of wood blades that could use sharpening too.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I destroyed one in less then 30 seconds cutting a piece of scrap angle that I didn't know was hardened. Since then I only cut material that I know is soft (some shipping crates are made of hardened angle). Luckily it had a couple years of use before I removed the teeth. For Chinese blades they cut nice and last.
I've had a DeWalt metal chop saw for over a decade, and the first blade lasted all that time and I cut a LOT of steel over those 10 years. A few months ago when I was upgrading the receiver on the Scafer disk harrow to a pintle style the blade got destroyed much to my surprise. I needed to cut off the old interface so that I could weld on a plate for the new lunette ring. I was cutting through the box section shown below as well as through the side plates and the welds between the plates and box section. For whatever reason there was some very hard steel in there.

tongue_1.jpg

tongue_2.jpg

tongue_5.jpg

tongue_6.jpg

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I've seen this switchback method used in a personal autobody shop. Theirs come from the pump and started at the top- blowing down the switchback. On the bottom leg it dropped to a long straight with a drain. Above the drain about 18" was a "Y" which continued the loop to the tank, which also had a water separator just before going into the tank.
dryer2.jpg

I plumbed up this system when I built the new shop. Made a HUGE difference in air quality for sandblasting and plasma cutting.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
View attachment 136207

I plumbed up this system when I built the new shop. Made a HUGE difference in air quality for sandblasting and plasma cutting.
You guys have me thinking about building a dryer. I have an unused condenser coil that GE sent for our ill-fated heat pump water heater. Maybe it could serve as the cooler.

And as far as fab tools go, I'm 75 and still don't have everything I'd like to have. I am blessed to have more than I need to get by. That wasn't always the case. There have been many projects similar to what PoTreeBoy is doing. Drilled small holes first, then larger, then break it out and hand file. Can't say I miss those days but it was a chance to learn to always be thinking about alternatives.

Attachments

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I burnt up a Bosch jigsaw cutting many feet of steel plate when I first started out. Much of that was circles and radiuses.
Actually, my nephew has a plasma rig, but scheduling him and his equipment would have taken longer than doing it my way. Besides, my new-to-me drill press was feeling unloved.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
You guys have me thinking about building a dryer. I have an unused condenser coil that GE sent for our ill-fated heat pump water heater. Maybe it could serve as the cooler.

And as far as fab tools go, I'm 75 and still don't have everything I'd like to have. I am blessed to have more than I need to get by. That wasn't always the case. There have been many projects similar to what PoTreeBoy is doing. Drilled small holes first, then larger, then break it out and hand file. Can't say I miss those days but it was a chance to learn to always be thinking about alternatives.
I'm thinking the cooler coil will not work on it's own. Added into the larger system (as shown early on within the thread), it definitely would help.

I've done things the hard way. Within reason, I'm replacing the weld shop so I can save. I also don't have much patience anymore. I want it NOW.

drygulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525, ever changing attachments
May 30, 2024
Georgia
www.ebay.com
And as far as fab tools go, I'm 75 and still don't have everything I'd like to have. I am blessed to have more than I need to get by. That wasn't always the case.
... Can't say I miss those days but it was a chance to learn to always be thinking about alternatives.
Amen.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I was thinking about the coil as one component. Without a tank, drip leg or something it wouldn't help at all. I have a few tanks to pick from. All are better for a few times the pressure my compressor will produce.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Actually, my nephew has a plasma rig, but scheduling him and his equipment would have taken longer than doing it my way. Besides, my new-to-me drill press was feeling unloved.
I was in a similar situation regarding "help" in general, prior to getting my little Kubota. My getting a Plasma Cutter is going to help me get several tractor related projects done. I also have some modifications I want to do to my box trailer.

On the fun side, I plan to use it for freehand metal artwork.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
What a chore. It started easy, move the middle shelf down 2.5".

Then I went OCD...LOL.

Man, almost a full day farking around to get my welding cart set-up for the Plasma Cutter to be on board. The cart is completely self contained. The Motor Guard Air Dryer, Plasma Cutter and air feed are all Quick Disconnect. I also made aluminum hangers for both sides, for the "ground" cords.

1000026608.jpg

1000026610.jpg

1000026609.jpg

1000026611.jpg

I got a splitter so both machines can be plugged in (not in use) at the same time. Annnd...I forgot to order a mated plug for the Plasma Cutter, so I can't play with it yet...sigh.
2024-08-3016.18.222614959907551711808.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
What a chore. It started easy, move the middle shelf down 2.5".

Then I went OCD...LOL.

Man, almost a full day farking around to get my welding cart set-up for the Plasma Cutter to be on board. The cart is completely self contained. The Motor Guard Air Dryer, Plasma Cutter and air feed are all Quick Disconnect. I also made aluminum hangers for both sides, for the "ground" cords.

View attachment 136369

View attachment 136370

View attachment 136371

View attachment 136372
I got a splitter so both machines can be plugged in (not in use) at the same time. Annnd...I forgot to order a mated plug for the Plasma Cutter, so I can't play with it yet...sigh.
View attachment 136373
Looks great man!

That set up is nearly identical to mine.

Having that plasma cutter is going to be a real came changer.

It makes metal working even more enjoyable.