Burn barrel fun....................Just fell in love with some new angle grinder disks.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
So me and the grandson are prepping a burn barrel and there are some "sharp'ish edges" that I want to take care of.

Well someone (On the Langmuir forum I think, but I can't remember who) said that these (new to me) disks are his "go to" disk now.

Well I decided to try one, even though they are 18 (edit) 12bucks a piece. o_O

IMG_0156.JPG

I suppose they are not really "flap discs" but......

IMG_0155.JPG

Wow did this thing cut fast!!!!!!

From this........ (all the way around.)

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 10.39.02 AM.png

to this in less than 2 minutes.
IMG_0163.JPG

This is probably the fastest grinding disk I have ever used.

Here is grandson "helping grandpa" cut some holes in the "new barrel".

Not too bad for a "first timer" with a plasma cutter.

IMG_0164.JPG

Quick video below......hahahah....we have a blast!!!!!

https://rumble.com/v5boutl-grandson...n-barrel-intake-holes-with-plasma-cutter.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
In the old days when I worked in a smelting plant that used steel barrels for scrap metal storage, we had a cutter that was like a giant can opener. It cut a clean edge all the way around the barrel. We would use a firemans axe with the pointed end to knock a lifting hole at the edge. I still have one of the fireman axes that was given to me when I left.
Just remember to put the plasma cutter away where he can't get to it, otherwise you might come home to holes burned into every panel on your car or truck. Next you need to teach him how to weld. By the time he turns 10 he will be working alongside of you in the shop learning all your mistakes and successes.

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
In the old days when I worked in a smelting plant that used steel barrels for scrap metal storage, we had a cutter that was like a giant can opener. It cut a clean edge all the way around the barrel. We would use a firemans axe with the pointed end to knock a lifting hole at the edge. I still have one of the fireman axes that was given to me when I left.
Just remember to put the plasma cutter away where he can't get to it, otherwise you might come home to holes burned into every panel on your car or truck. Next you need to teach him how to weld. By the time he turns 10 he will be working alongside of you in the shop learning all your mistakes and successes.
And get him some work boots!

Reactions: 3 users

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
About 2-3 years ago, the company would mail you one for free to try and see if you liked them.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So me and the grandson are prepping a burn barrel and there are some "sharp'ish edges" that I want to take care of.

Well someone (On the Langmuir forum I think, but I can't remember who) said that these (new to me) disks are his "go to" disk now.

View attachment 135398

View attachment 135399

View attachment 135402

View attachment 135401

View attachment 135403

https://rumble.com/v5boutl-grandson...n-barrel-intake-holes-with-plasma-cutter.html
Very nice........grandpa!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can build the smokeless version

but Seems like a lot of trouble to just rust out in a couple of years

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
@Runs With Scissors

I really want a Plasma Cutter, I'm just not sure which one. With what little research time I've invested, they're all similarly the same. I do understand the higher Amp output, the thicker they can cut, but is 50A enough for cutting 3/8" material cleanly?

I'd sure appreciate some guidance from you. I don't like jumping down rabbit holes to later find it was hype.

I'm wanting to not spend a lot, and get the best bang for the buck. I've been told a lot of the very small, less than $250 units (Amazon - Cut50 type) would fill my need. The longevity of consumables and essentials are also a concern.

Last edited:

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Awesome job teaching the lil one, Grandpa!!! I was about his age when I 'helped' my Grandfather replace the beds on the hay wagons. Oh, the memories!!!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
@Runs With Scissors

I really want a Plasma Cutter, I'm just not sure which one. With what little research time I've invested, they're all similarly the same. I do understand the higher Amp output, the thicker they can cut, but is 50A enough for cutting 3/8" material cleanly?

I'd sure appreciate some guidance from you. I don't like jumping down rabbit holes to later find it was hype.

I'm wanting to not spend a lot, and get the best bang for the buck. I've been told a lot of the very small, less than $250 units (Amazon - Cut50 type) would fill my need. The longevity of consumables and essentials are also a concern.
Ask, And Ye Shall Receive Sir!!!!

I had some time to kill before physical therapy, and @Trimley 's question intrigued me.

Although I have a "face made for radio", here is a 'Soft Start Video" for my eventual "Runs With Scissors" channel.

I paid $380.20 for the machine, and $72.84 for the package of consumables on Dec. 16 2022.

https://rumble.com/v5bu78d-lotos-50-amp-plasma-cutter-testing.html

Now as for long term, everyday use?????

I am just a "weekend warrior" so I can/will not make guess on that.

The other thought is that long cuts made in the "thicker stuff" will be affected by your compressors ability to keep up.

Outside conditions were about 70 degree's F, sunny, and wind at about 10 knots.

Hope this helps (y) 🍸 🍸

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Right on, RWS. The hands-on test is a plus. The 1/4" cut well, the 3/8" chipper blade, that's hardened tool steel, I believe, so...your machine, it did good, honestly. The 1" mild steel cut, actually turned out better than I expected.

For the thicker stuff, maybe having something as a "guide" might help? Guessing.

Nice ta meet ya!

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I use their chainsaw files, high quality stuff.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Love the video!
You are an awesome grandfather.

I think that lad is too smart to run with scissors. :)

Best grandpa ever! I really wish I had a need for a plasma cutter.

Very nice........grandpa!

Awesome job teaching the lil one, Grandpa!!! I was about his age when I 'helped' my Grandfather replace the beds on the hay wagons. Oh, the memories!!!
Thank you Gentlemen.

Being a Grandpa is awesome.

I get to be a bad influence, cuss, swear, drink and spoil them rotten with food and gifts, and let them have "run of the place"........ then turn them back over to "mom and dad' to straighten out and discipline........

Way better than having to actually 'raise good kids"....that was a lot of work and attention to detail..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;) 🍸🍸

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Right on, RWS. The hands-on test is a plus. The 1/4" cut well, the 3/8" chipper blade, that's hardened tool steel, I believe, so...your machine, it did good, honestly. The 1" mild steel cut, actually turned out better than I expected.

For the thicker stuff, maybe having something as a "guide" might help? Guessing.

Nice ta meet ya!
Dry air goes a long way to extend nozzle and consumable life. I run a Hypertherm 45 with a machine torch and get thousands of inches from consumables since upgrading air filters and adding a toilet paper type filter at the input. Also have a hand torch with gouging tips that helps remove welds when I screw up. I definitely recommend buying a gouging consumable set for whatever machine you buy if you modify items.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Dry air goes a long way to extend nozzle and consumable life. I run a Hypertherm 45 with a machine torch and get thousands of inches from consumables since upgrading air filters and adding a toilet paper type filter at the input. Also have a hand torch with gouging tips that helps remove welds when I screw up. I definitely recommend buying a gouging consumable set for whatever machine you buy if you modify items.
Frantz made those popular 30 years ago. I have a "tripple stacker" designed for big trucks I use on my torch.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

View attachment 135398

View attachment 135399

View attachment 135402

View attachment 135401

View attachment 135403

Sir, I am really glad you are back in action. Honestly after the doozy a week or so ago, when I saw the title…I was thinking ‘oh my’ this is going to be creative use of compressed air cauterize a wound. I hope everything healing good. 🥃

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Ask, And Ye Shall Receive Sir!!!!

I had some time to kill before physical therapy, and @Trimley 's question intrigued me.

Although I have a "face made for radio", here is a 'Soft Start Video" for my eventual "Runs With Scissors" channel.

I paid $380.20 for the machine, and $72.84 for the package of consumables on Dec. 16 2022.

https://rumble.com/v5bu78d-lotos-50-amp-plasma-cutter-testing.html

Now as for long term, everyday use?????

I am just a "weekend warrior" so I can/will not make guess on that.

The other thought is that long cuts made in the "thicker stuff" will be affected by your compressors ability to keep up.

Outside conditions were about 70 degree's F, sunny, and wind at about 10 knots.

Hope this helps (y) 🍸 🍸
You owe me a new monitor! My monitor is all squiggly and smudged since your picture appeared. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha