Hydraulic Leak Dye

TV Kubota BX 23

Equipment
2005 Kubota BX 23 with loader & Backhoe
Nov 21, 2023
Maryland
Hello, I have a hydraulic leak near the control valve, I cannot pinpoint the exact location of this leak. I have heard of dyes being used and was looking for advice from others on how they found difficult leaks. The machine is a BX 23D. Any suggestions would be appreciate.

Thanks

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I put John Deere "red coloring" into my system. It makes checking levels and "seeing it" much easier.

In regard to "special dyes" there are kits available on Amazon, but I have found that just using a "black light" flashlight and yellow glasses, without the "special dyes, works pretty well in many instances.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Some recommend thoroughly degreasing and drying the area, then dusting with baby powder or equal. Then fire it up and watch for wet spot.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Hello, I have a hydraulic leak near the control valve, I cannot pinpoint the exact location of this leak. I have heard of dyes being used and was looking for advice from others on how they found difficult leaks. The machine is a BX 23D. Any suggestions would be appreciate.

Thanks
JD hyd dye is part # MT3668

TV Kubota BX 23

Equipment
2005 Kubota BX 23 with loader & Backhoe
Nov 21, 2023
Maryland
JD hyd dye is part # MT3668
Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I will keep everyone post once I have a chance to review the area of concern. I did go ahead and pressure washed the area and will most likely try the dye and the baby power as well to see if I can pinpoint the leak. Once I see where it’s coming from and after the repair I will drain the trans fluid immediately and fill with new fluid and filter.