Knee Surgery, have it done while insured or while on Medicare?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I can retire anytime, my wife will not have insurance and she's too young for Medicare/ Social Security, in six months she'll quality for Social Security and then we'll get her insured. My job is not that stressful on my body, I can take it easy and wait until she is covered.
You can get SS at 62 but MC is 65, you probably know that but often folks aren't aware.

Reactions: 1 user

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
You can get SS at 62 but MC is 65, you probably know that but often folks aren't aware.
Thanks, yes, i do know that, once my wife turns 62, she'll collect SS and then purchase health insurance until she turns 65 and applies for MC.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Thanks, yes, i do know that, once my wife turns 62, she'll collect SS and then purchase health insurance until she turns 65 and applies for MC.
If you don't need the money and she has worked and paid into social security the longer she waits the more she will get per month. When I retired, I started collecting at age 62. When my wife turned 65 she was eligible to collect on my social security and not touch hers. At age 70 1/2 she had to start drawing on her own social security account. Since she is still employed and paying in, every year she gets a recalculation and gets more each year. The same goes for retirement accounts, don't start taking money out of them until you need the money to live on. The longer you wait the more it grows. I started my retirement account when I was 30 and I am amazed at how well it has done over the many years. I took advantage of everything that the government allowed.

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
If you don't need the money and she has worked and paid into social security the longer she waits the more she will get per month. When I retired, I started collecting at age 62. When my wife turned 65 she was eligible to collect on my social security and not touch hers. At age 70 1/2 she had to start drawing on her own social security account. Since she is still employed and paying in, every year she gets a recalculation and gets more each year. The same goes for retirement accounts, don't start taking money out of them until you need the money to live on. The longer you wait the more it grows. I started my retirement account when I was 30 and I am amazed at how well it has done over the many years. I took advantage of everything that the government allowed.
My wife will have to use my work history credit, at an early retirement for her @ 62, she'll only receieve 33 1/3 % of what I receive, if she waits until her full retirment age, it goes up to 50 %. We consulted with an elder law attorney and he suggested she apply @62

Sidekick

Equipment
RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
The ABSURD wait times you describe, are simply a feature of the ( get it if/and when you can ) Canadian medical system!
Should only be a month or less, wait in the USA, no matter which insurance system you choose.
Took me 10 months to get cataract surgery done in western NY. Thats just an hour procedure. There's a severe shortage of surgeons and anesthesia techs causing long delays. Many are older and retiring with few replacements. We are not far behind Canada now that our medical system is absorbing 18 million illegals.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
We are not far behind Canada now that our medical system is absorbing 18 million illegals.
How is this done? What is the mechanism that makes this possible? Is this a factual statement?

I know the health system has to deal with anybody that walks into the ER regardless of their background. Is this what you referring to? I guess you're use of the word “absorbing” is what caught my eye... My bet would be that most of those people that take advantage of the system were born here.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I had my both of my knee replacements using plain MC on the 1st in 2017 then useing MC Advantage on the last at the end of this last Dec.
I only had a week wait on this last one and the 1st replacement saw doc on a Monday and on table the next day. Stayed in hospitol 3 nights on 1st one and in Dec arrived at 7:00am and was home at 4:15pm.Rehab about the same
My advice is don't wait. If you can't retire now for what ever reason you can't either in 6 months imo. Lifes to short to not have your health. My wife is dealing with Parkinsons and AFIB which isn't a fun way to be retired. AFIBs under control now thanks to getting a pacemaker Tuesday
Best advice!

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I agree with DustyRusty on waiting as long as possible before drawing down on retirement accounts.

I took a different path on when to start receiving social security. iirc I was eligible at 66 . My good friend tried to convince me to wait till 70-1/2. I did the simple math. It would be until I was 78 (next month) before the 'break even' point was reached. By that I mean the early draw sum totals the later draw sum.
I simply told him I didn't come with a guarantee.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
How is this done? What is the mechanism that makes this possible? Is this a factual statement?

I know the health system has to deal with anybody that walks into the ER regardless of their background. Is this what you referring to? I guess you're use of the word “absorbing” is what caught my eye... My bet would be that most of those people that take advantage of the system were born here.
No illegals that sneak into the country are given access to our Medicaid system and any treatments they need. They also are being treated at some VA facilities I have recently read. This pushes wait times out for all. With Medicaid reimbursement rates being low it is also putting a strain on the health system for small doctors that do not join the huge Healthcare systems. In our area it is causing a backlog and lack of hospital space. My wife recently spent over 24 hours in the ER waiting for a bed and that is now common where 4 years ago it would have have been an hour when cardiac issues are present. The system is strained in our area. We also have many older doctors and nurses retiring and moving from NY causing office closures. My eye surgeon retired and closed the office right after my cataracts were done last November and my cardiologist closed his local office last year because they couldn't find replacement staffing for retiring nurses. Long wait time for appointments and traveling further for care is the new normal for us. Luckily our primary care doctor doesn't accept Medicaid and sends them to the ER so for minor things it's only about a month wait for an appointment.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I agree with DustyRusty on waiting as long as possible before drawing down on retirement accounts.

I took a different path on when to start receiving social security. iirc I was eligible at 66 . My good friend tried to convince me to wait till 70-1/2. I did the simple math. It would be until I was 78 (next month) before the 'break even' point was reached. By that I mean the early draw sum totals the later draw sum.
I simply told him I didn't come with a guarantee.
I took mine at 62, .......am now approaching 84.
I am sure that I have received substantially fewer total dollars.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Nothing wrong with sryup' and hockey, I've already got Bruins tickets to several games!!! Eh

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
No illegals that sneak into the country are given access to our Medicaid system and any treatments they need. They also are being treated at some VA facilities I have recently read. This pushes wait times out for all. With Medicaid reimbursement rates being low it is also putting a strain on the health system for small doctors that do not join the huge Healthcare systems. In our area it is causing a backlog and lack of hospital space. My wife recently spent over 24 hours in the ER waiting for a bed and that is now common where 4 years ago it would have have been an hour when cardiac issues are present. The system is strained in our area. We also have many older doctors and nurses retiring and moving from NY causing office closures. My eye surgeon retired and closed the office right after my cataracts were done last November and my cardiologist closed his local office last year because they couldn't find replacement staffing for retiring nurses. Long wait time for appointments and traveling further for care is the new normal for us. Luckily our primary care doctor doesn't accept Medicaid and sends them to the ER so for minor things it's only about a month wait for an appointment.
You should quit reading B.S. rags.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
You should quit reading B.S. rags.
This is where I saw it first and decided to find out if it was really happening. https://www.blackburn.senate.gov/20...roduce-no-va-resources-for-illegal-aliens-act . Start with watching bills coming forward from both houses of congress and do your own research if it interests you. I did some research involving many different sources and found it is actually happening in several areas. I always check hundreds of sources and don't trust Google searches as they are biased so use other search engines also. I don't watch or trust any of the TV or cable news channels anymore. You sound like the one reading BS rags on Google.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
This is where I saw it first and decided to find out if it was really happening. https://www.blackburn.senate.gov/20...roduce-no-va-resources-for-illegal-aliens-act . Start with watching bills coming forward from both houses of congress and do your own research if it interests you. I did some research involving many different sources and found it is actually happening in several areas. I always check hundreds of sources and don't trust Google searches as they are biased so use other search engines also. I don't watch or trust any of the TV or cable news channels anymore. You sound like the one reading BS rags on Google.
GeoHorn apparently "reads" only those viewpoints that reinforce what he opts to believe.
Sadly,........many others also do the same.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hello,

I retired about a year ago, I'm still working, I have medical insurance and have already enrolled in Medicare. I'm looking at having a full knee replacment after having tried both type of injections and not getting any positive results. My plan is to retire completley in about 6-8 months, once I have the surgery, my job is gone, considering having it done at the very end of working or wait until after I retire. So now I'm looking for some feed back from those that had it done under insurance or through Medicare.
Now!!

Did you opt for Part B coverage. If so Medicare will be primary for both major medical and doctors fees. If your work insurance is decent it will be secondary and pick up what Medicare does not pay.

In the last two years I have had tens of thousands of dollars in medical expenses and with Medicare Parts A and B plus BCBS not a cent out of my pocket. Currently waiting on a $1.5M lung transplant that I could not afford otherwise.

Dan

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
No illegals that sneak into the country are given access to our Medicaid system and any treatments they need. They also are being treated at some VA facilities I have recently read.
Honestly, I really doubt this is true, but if it is shame on us.

Aside from the fact that anybody that walks into an ER room must be treated by the hospital apparently, which drives up the costs for everybody else. And most of those people are likely born in this country and citizens to begin with.

Illegal immigrants being treated at some VA facilities? Anybody can write anything they want and we can read it. It doesn’t mean it’s true. In the past, I actually looked into what it would take to get some kind of coverage by the VA for medical purposes and believe me it’s not that easy for a normal person. But on top of that, how would the illegal person prove he was a veteran? Where would the DD214 form come from?

Seems like one would need to prove that first… and I doubt any illegal people in this country could prove that, especially trying to fraudulently.

Hard for me to believe these kind of statements without some specific fact’s to back them up. NOT hearsay, but actual documented facts.

• Dislike