Long Term Diesel Storage?

icehorse

Equipment
L3901, FEL, box blade, tedder rake, mini round baler, rotary cutter
Aug 10, 2022
I have an opportunity to get an almost new, 300 gallon fuel storage tank with some sort of decent hand pump (or some sort of delivery system). I trust the seller, I've worked with him for years, we live in a small community.

So the question is: how long does diesel store well? Can you add stuff to extend storage life, and does that stuff have any downsides?

(sorry, i'm sure this has been discussed before, but I spent a few minutes searching and came up empty ;) )

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Depending on where you live, water and algae are your two big concerns. Biocide will help with the algae. A fuel treatment, which there are several brands out there that can help with the storage. Having an inline filter to help capture the water before you put into your tank will reduce the risk along with the fuel treatment.

icehorse

Equipment
Aug 10, 2022
How many gallons of diesel do you use in a year.
Yeah, good question. Currently I have a truck and tractor and between them only about 150 gallons / year. But I'm thinking of getting a backup diesel generator for the house, and who knows how many power outages might happen.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have an opportunity to get an almost new, 300 gallon fuel storage tank with some sort of decent hand pump (or some sort of delivery system). I trust the seller, I've worked with him for years, we live in a small community.

So the question is: how long does diesel store well? Can you add stuff to extend storage life, and does that stuff have any downsides?

(sorry, i'm sure this has been discussed before, but I spent a few minutes searching and came up empty ;) )
Having a 300 gal. tank, and using only 150 gallons per year, is not a good idea.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
then the other half gets filled with water (condensation), and the diesel goes 'bad' unless you add $$$$ of chemicals in.....

some old skool math...
what's the cost of 150 gallons of diesel "
what does the tank cost ? AND chemicals ?

some times you HAVE to pass up on a 'good' deal...

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Haha, good, which is why I asked :)

But the tank is a great deal, what if I just filled it halfway?
The issue then is 'breathing' humid air in for it to condense water into the fuel. The more vapor space, the more moisture. Less of a problem if it's in a desert or constant temperature room.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Haha, good, which is why I asked :)

But the tank is a great deal, what if I just filled it halfway?
Could you have a welding shop cut the tank in half and reweld it so that you have a 150 gallon tank? I have 106 gallon and 58 gallon JohnDow fuel storage tanks that I'm very happy with. The smaller one sits in the bed of my truck, and the larger one in the garage. Both have auto shut off nozzles, 13 gpm pumps (supposedly), and run off a 12V battery.

I don't run any kind of fuel filter/water separator system on them, and don't see the need. All five of my diesel powered machines have fuel filters and water separators and I run Standyne in all diesel, and go through it fast enough that long term storage isn't an issue.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Unlike gasoline, the federales have not yet destroyed the shelf life of diesel fuel, so it can be safely stored for years if precautions to prevent water contamination and algae are followed.

Contamination resulting from filling and dispensing is usually a more serious concern.

If you plan to use a single tank for both truck and tractor you must buy on-road diesel to prevent the possibility of prohibitive fines.

icehorse

Equipment
Aug 10, 2022
Unlike gasoline, the federales have not yet destroyed the shelf life of diesel fuel, so it can be safely stored for years if precautions to prevent water contamination and algae are followed.

Contamination resulting from filling and dispensing is usually a more serious concern.

If you plan to use a single tank for both truck and tractor you must buy on-road diesel to prevent the possibility of prohibitive fines.
We have a state approved ag. business and the truck is used only for ag. purposes, so we're good there :)

==

So, I'm getting a lot of feedback about condensation (which I've heard about before), but this seems like a problem no matter what. Are we to top off our tractor tank after every outing? Do people who have storage tanks and use more fuel than me always top off their tanks after every use? It seems like the most common state for most tanks, most of the time is "partially filled".

I'm not trying to be combative here, I'm trying to get a more detailed sense of this topic.

Thanks to all !

TECH101

Equipment
Kubota - Bobcat - Caterpillar - Case - John Deere - FARM - CONSTRUCTION -
Mar 8, 2022
Canada
From my experience, I have had many machines start up after sitting for over 10 + years no problem

At the end of the day if the tank has proper vent allowing fumes to escape and keeping the moisture out, it will last

I would not recommend putting any kind of chemicals while its in your storage tank

• Love

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You live in one of the most wet climates (based on your zip code Lopez Island, WA, Shaw Island, WA) so it is a bad idea. The only way that it might work is if you use a plug in every bung and only open the bung to allow air in as you drain off of the bottom and seal it up after each use. I wouldn't even consider it since your use isn't sufficient to have 2 years of fuel in reserve. Unless there is going to be some catastrophic supply chain interruption, I don't see this as a viable solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Don't know if all tanks are the same but the one at the farm is tilted back at a good angle, so water is NOT at the front where the spigot it. Obviously when you refill it gets 'dispersed' but over a day or so (?) diesel floats to the top, water to the back

icehorse

Equipment
Aug 10, 2022
You live in one of the most wet climates (based on your zip code Lopez Island, WA, Shaw Island, WA) so it is a bad idea. The only way that it might work is if you use a plug in every bung and only open the bung to allow air in as you drain off of the bottom and seal it up after each use. I wouldn't even consider it since your use isn't sufficient to have 2 years of fuel in reserve. Unless there is going to be some catastrophic supply chain interruption, I don't see this as a viable solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Actually our zip code is located in a rain shadow, which is on the dry side. All of the surrounding areas are indeed wet climates, but not ours :)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There are desiccant vents that help dry the air as it is moving through the vent. There are water control and rust control devices (Like this) that can be put into the tank. There are water separators and super micron filters that can be installed on the outlet.

There are no guarantees in life either way you go.

I have zero experience storing diesel for two years and it is doubtful that many people have that experience except possibly for the person who wants to rid themselves of the storage tank. I would discuss it with that person and ask some other locals that probably store diesel. Then make a decision based on your risk tolerance and assessment.

If it was me in your situation I would do it but only put some fuel in it or try to get a smaller tank. But I use less than 10 gallons per year so there is zero need for me to store fuel.

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
With a little careful handling,diesel fuel stores very well.
I store fuel in drums and keep them sealed until needed-inside the pole barn.
OP could get the tank and tilt the tank back to drain the condensation on a regular basis.
Or,get the tank and keep it sealed until fuel is needed,maintaining the tilt.
Good Luck!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If it's a great deal and you have plenty of room for it, you could buy it and part fill it. I definitely wouldn't try to fill it with 300 gallons, if it goes wrong that's a lot of fuel wasted.

But is it really that great of a deal? How much would a 150 gallon tank cost? Realistically you only need a 75 gallon tank, fill it twice a year. Is it such a great deal that it's cheaper than a 75 gallon tank? If you're only using 75 gallons of the tank, then it's only a good deal if it's cheaper than a 75 gallon tank.....and it's bigger and riskier to you than a 75 gallon tank.

Personally, even though it's a great deal, it's a great deal on something you don't need. Any money more than free for something you don't need isn't actually a great deal. (Yes, I know, tell that to my wife).

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, 2014 RTV-1140CPX
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Here is how I store diesel:
I utilized a large 40 gallon plastic tank and added a desiccant filter, pump, diesel filter, and associated hoses and fittings. The whole thing is mounted on a modified dolly,

Whatever tank you get, just ensure the pump and hoses are all compatible with diesel. If not, the hoses will actually turn rubbery and begin to "sweat" diesel.
I always add some Howes Diesel Treat for each 5 gallons I add to the tank.

When the desiccant crystals turn pink, I remove them and bake for about 30 minutes in my oven (to "recharge"). I've found that there is no water in my tank after a year of use and multiple refills of diesel. The tank is stored in my barn where it's fairly cool.

Goodluck to you!

1721379130829.png

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I'd get the tank. Give it a shot of biocide and antigel and don't worry. I have three 55 gallon plastic drums with a Harbor Freight fuel pump and a Goldenrod water block filter the fuel runs through while dispensing. Last fill was toward the end of October 2023 and I've used one drum so far. Depending on the grass and snow, I'll use between 75 and 100 gallons per year.

At work we had an above ground outdoor 500 gallon steel diesel tank for misc. equipment that got filled every two or three years without any issues.