Project Farm engine oil test

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Just watched a new Project Farm video. He tested diesel engine oils. I was amazed Rotella did not do better than it did. I do not really have access to the other brands so I will keep using the "T6" oil. I like the Schaeffers, but do not have a local dealer, and am not sure about buying it from amazon, too many fakes on there to risk it.

Reactions: 1 user

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
According to Arfcom's SME on oil, Shell Rotella is crap for what you pay for. Much better oils.

He probably mentions it in this thread somewhere: Foxtrot08 makes an oil thread! - AR15.COM

Foxtrot08 is the SME. He runs a large oil distributor.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Just watched a new Project Farm video. He tested diesel engine oils. I was amazed Rotella did not do better than it did. I do not really have access to the other brands so I will keep using the "T6" oil. I like the Schaeffers, but do not have a local dealer, and am not sure about buying it from amazon, too many fakes on there to risk it.

Maybe he should try paying for the real ASTM tests that measure real performance under real conditions. Oh wait - thats a real lot of real money. What a crock of.... :poop:

Dan

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
My manual says to change the engine oil+filter every200 hours. I'm starting to think of replacing the engine oil every 100h and filter at 200h. Oil is cheaper than engines.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My manual says to change the engine oil+filter every200 hours. I'm starting to think of replacing the engine oil every 100h and filter at 200h. Oil is cheaper than engines.
Perhaps while you are at it spend $35 for a used oil analysis and see of you are throwing away perfectly good oil.

Dan

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I never waste a good oil change. Always replace oil and filter at same time. Why would you put clean oil in an engine and then purposely pour a half qt or so of dirty oil back in.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
What Dan said! I watched one of his videos years ago and in my opinion he is a joke. His "tests" are so unscientific and have no real value. I vowed to never watch another one of his videos so I cannot comment on the results.

But Rotella is a respectable product and I have no issues using it. I do use other reputable brands as well.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Maybe he should try paying for the real ASTM tests that measure real performance under real conditions. Oh wait - thats a real lot of real money. What a crock of.... :poop:

Dan
I have a hard time listening to the manic delivery of the information and I won't comment on the validity or lack there of regarding his test procedures, but the oil analysis that he got back from an independent lab might have some merit. There were differences in additive packages which was interesting.

He's tested other products such as winches, recovery straps, tools, etc., and provided some interesting information and points of comparison. He has a Kubota tractor so he can't be all that bad. :giggle:

I chose the oil that I use in my diesels based on a recommendation from the owner of Dp-Tuner who make programmers and chips for diesel trucks. He has a vested interest in his customers being happy so I acted on his advice.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a hard time listening to the manic delivery of the information and I won't comment on the validity or lack there of regarding his test procedures, but the oil analysis that he got back from an independent lab might have some merit. There were differences in additive packages which was interesting.

He's tested other products such as winches, recovery straps, tools, etc., and provided some interesting information and points of comparison. He has a Kubota tractor so he can't be all that bad. :giggle:

I chose the oil that I use in my diesels based on a recommendation from the owner of Dp-Tuner who make programmers and chips for diesel trucks. He has a vested interest in his customers being happy so I acted on his advice.
I choose my engine oil based on the SAE viscosity grade, API service ratings. and my wallet.

If you want to compare the differences in formulations and the miniscule differences in performance they make purchsse the API certification test results for the oils. The results are meaningful and reliable comparisons of performance and not the different recipes that can be used to get it.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
2 trucks, 24+ years, and well over 400,000 miles on 2 Cummins motors and have used Shell Rotella the entire time.

To date I have never had any "oil related" engine, nor turbo failures/repairs.

I admit my data is simply "anecdotal" , but I'm staying with a winning horse.

You use whatever you think is best, and I wish you the best of luck.

Besides, how would these "internet experts" make a living if we stopped watching. ;)

Reactions: 3 users

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in profile-about)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
After reading oil threads for years, I'm pretty sure Lake Speed Jr.'s advice sums it up: using a quality oil and changing the oil sooner than the OEM recommended change interval is better than using "the best" oil for the full change interval.

From what I understand the OEM change interval minimizes Total Cost of Ownership, except with German products where apparently German consumers calculate TCO and the German OEMs therefore double the recommended change interval to lower the apparent TCO. At least that's what a few Germans told me, take it with a grain of salt.

From my experience, the replacement cost of a machine is more than the original machine's cost (factoring for inflation) and the replacement's build quality is perhaps lower, so "oil is cheaper than engineering." Not always, really old stuff can be costly to run and maintain. Factoring the cost of a replacement tractor and implements, I'd say "change the oil."

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
2 trucks, 24+ years, and well over 400,000 miles on 2 Cummins motors and have used Shell Rotella the entire time.

To date I have never had any "oil related" engine, nor turbo failures/repairs.

I admit my data is simply "anecdotal" , but I'm staying with a winning horse.

You use whatever you think is best, and I wish you the best of luck.

Besides, how would these "internet experts" make a living if we stopped watching. ;)
I thought Cummins was a big promoter of Valvoline Premium Blue :p

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
using a quality oil and changing the oil sooner than the OEM recommended change interval is better than using "the best" oil for the full change interval.
This has been my philosophy. It’s worked.

I admit I’m a dumb former farm-boy.

biketopia

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
From what I understand the OEM change interval minimizes Total Cost of Ownership, except with German products where apparently German consumers calculate TCO and the German OEMs therefore double the recommended change interval to lower the apparent TCO. At least that's what a few Germans told me, take it with a grain of salt.
That right there!! It's all a game of advertising dollars. At least in the vehicle world I operate in as a Fleet Supervisor. Extended oil change intervals with low tension rings to achieve low TCO and "improve" mileage makes vehicles disposable. You don't see vehicles consistently going well over 150k without serious oil consumption issues, if they follow the factory intervals. I was helping a co-worker out on his Subaru and he wanted to service the trans, Subaru america says it's "lifetime" fluid....Subaru Canada says change the fluid every 35k....same car, same spec oil. A quality maintenance regiment will always be your best line of defence for wear and tear on your vehicles and equipment.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Perhaps while you are at it spend $35 for a used oil analysis and see of you are throwing away perfectly good oil.

Dan
Spend $35 to save $35 in oil?

Our county used to do oil analysis and switched to 100 hour oil change intervals on the fleet as their PM program. Manager says better reliability and reduced costs. and down time over the long run.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Spend $35 to save $35 in oil?

Our county used to do oil analysis and switched to 100 hour oil change intervals on the fleet as their PM program. Manager says better reliability and reduced costs. and down time over the long run.
That would not be my strategy.

The UOA is simply used to establish a baseline for your OCI based on empirical data derived from real world operational conditions specific to your situation. Once you know that there is no longer a need for continuing the UOAs.

Rinse and repeat periodically as fleet mix. operating conditions, and lubricants change over time.

I am pretty sure that produces cost savings for most fleets. And it allows you to evaluate the comparative benefits of competing lubrication products.

Certainly less cost effective for low volume personal vehicle usage but it still avoids the shotgun blast shoot in the dark guessing strategy.

Edit: I should add that UOA also allows you to identify equipment malfunctions like fuel and coolant contaminstion and fix them before they do any real damage and cost you down time and very expensive repairs. That is one of the major benefits for fleet managers.

Dan

Last edited: