M7040 Clutch?

piper235

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M7040
Sep 20, 2014
Richburg, SC
My M7040 will not move. I have tried it in all the gears, forward and reverse and in hi-lo range. it feels like it is either high or low range and the forward and reverse are going into gear but when I release the clutch out it goes no where.

I had just pulled a disc through the field to see if it was dry enough to work ground. it was too wet so I changed the bucket and stopped at the shop. when I came out it would not move. the clutch goes to the end of its travel and I can see the linkage rod move.

any ideas?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Check every bit of the linkage path as it's not a simple rod to lever setup, But I don't think that's your problem, as the clutch linkage would disengage the clutch when it's pushed not when the linkage comes off.
I think your in for a plain old fashion clutch change.
One way to verify that it's the mechanical clutch that is out and that you don't have a hydraulic clutch problem is to start the tractor and engage the PTO if it's an internal hydraulic clutch issue then the PTO will spin yet the tractor will not move.
Give the Lift controls a try too, that will verify that hydraulic pressure is at least being supplied to part of the system.

piper235

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M7040
Sep 20, 2014
Richburg, SC
this is too curios to fathom! I went out to try the procedure that North Idaho Wolfman directed and the machine works fine now. it runs in hi-lo and for/rev in all of the gears!

it did this once before but I thought perhaps I did not have the hi/lo lever in gear. after I cycled through all of the gears and hi/lo it worked well that time too.

what the heck is going on. is there a Kuboterguist living in this thing?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When was it's last full fluid and filter change?
These new monsters are real picky with hydraulic pressures and flows.

Brett Collier

Equipment
Kubota 7040
Jun 16, 2024
Virginia
Has anyone had any trouble with hydrolic fluid leaking into the clutch? Hydrolic tank was over filled. Would it be able to leak into the clutch? Shuttle shift not hydrolic shuttle.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Has anyone had any trouble with hydrolic fluid leaking into the clutch? Hydrolic tank was over filled. Would it be able to leak into the clutch? Shuttle shift not hydrolic shuttle.
There's usually a tell-tale plug with a loose pin that lets any leakage drip. It's located on the bottom of the bell housing.

Is yours malfunctioning?

Brett Collier

Equipment
Kubota 7040
Jun 16, 2024
Virginia
Yes. It never smelled or anything. It just lost pulling power and quit tramming. I'm afraid it has soaked the clutch in hydrolic oil and ruined it. Tried adjusting clutch. It just got weaker and weaker.