Trailer or drive it.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Out of high school I worked for a seed corn research facility. I drove equipment all over. That was with a real tractor and not an over sized lawn mower. I'd take the time and load it up. I drive truck for an imp dealer so I get your point on time of hooking up, and chaining down, but then it's done and safely in your yard not on the side of the road the road trying to winch it on a trailer.

You can be the safest person, take all the safety precations but $h!t can still happen. 2 years again I was working construction un chaining a skidloader off a trailer on a no name hardly any vehicle street. Harzards on the truck trailer, cones surrounding the area, men at work sign, and a 16 year old drove through the cones, onto the trailer, came off, ran me over and dragged me. I wasn't even landed from med flight and what was left of my phone I had a voicemail from the parents insurance. Asking if I had a vest on and cones out trying to put the blame on me if I didn't. Luckily I did EVERYTHING correct to cover my backside and my employeer,but I was laid up for 2 years almost lost my hobby farm, drained my savings, and checking accounts, and missed some good times playing with my son. Insurance doesn't make money by paying settlements. Even if someone hit you, you're guilty until proven innocent by Insurance. I look at it as this. If you(anyone) needs to ask if something is a good idea on here it probably isn't...........
Would it be a... "good idea" .....for someone to give me a new Kubota M62 TLB? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
On another note: With a top speed of 17mph in the OP's Kubota. I hope his or her back and kidneys can handle 12 miles in a vehicle with no suspension. Can't be much good for the tractor or tires either.

OP, you have a trailer.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Thanks all for the advice. Max speed limit is 35 on mostly paved rural NH road. Some sections gravel. I see the opinions vary. All make good points. It is a bit of an ordeal to secure trailer and tractor. DOT wants/prefers 4 pt. chains and binders and FEL secured as well. I was mostly concerned for wear and tear at higher speed but now see the safety concerns expressed. Appreciate advice. Thanks folks.
For 12 miles, I wouldn't care what DOT wants. 2 chains kitty corner and strap the bucket. Done. You are going 35 mph, not interstate speeds. Well....if you're not talking 12 mountain miles.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
For 12 miles, I wouldn't care what DOT wants. 2 chains kitty corner and strap the bucket. Done. You are going 35 mph, not interstate speeds. Well....if you're not talking 12 mountain miles.
Sometimes my boss helps with trucking..........bare minimum chains " I'm just going up the road " he says . I'm waiting for the state patrol " just up the road" lol

Last edited:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I would put my vote in for trailering. People just don't know how to drive around farm equipment anymore, guessing they are to busy on their phones to notice the tractor with the flashing lights.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I would put my vote in for trailering. People just don't know how to drive around farm equipment anymore, guessing they are to busy on their phones to notice the tractor with the flashing lights.
Take a ride in an ambulance if you want to see idiots. last week there was a proctologist trying to fit in the tailpipe. It is unbelievable that so many can't keep their distance from any other vehicle, especially tractors or emergency vehicles.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
People do NOT know how to drive cars, pickups, motorcycles or dumptrucks !
As a 'category' ,I prefer farmers

'distance' , who cares, cars have all them 'safety features'....autobraking, airbags, crumpling 'sheet' metal, ZERO need to KNOW how to drive.....

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Take a ride in an ambulance if you want to see idiots. last week there was a proctologist trying to fit in the tailpipe. It is unbelievable that so many can't keep their distance from any other vehicle, especially tractors or emergency vehicles.
I did for 20 years, working nights. Over the years on three different accidents were drunks came driving into the scene. On one scene, the drunk managed to hit the back of the ambulance. All the flashing lights and he still ran right into the back of it. Thankfully we were all working around the wrecked car and not by the ambulance at the time.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Sometimes my boss helps with trucking..........bare minimum chains " I'm just going up the road " he says . I'm waiting for the state patrol " just up the road" lol
Murphys Law. Lol!
I will never say never, but I have yet to see our state trucking enforcement on anything but divided highways.

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 LA435 loader, 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
Murphys Law. Lol!
I will never say never, but I have yet to see our state trucking enforcement on anything but divided highways.
Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there.

Truck enforcement units will make the scene if a patrol unit request one.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there.

Truck enforcement units will make the scene if a patrol unit request one.
There is nowhere to hide along the rural roads near me. It's all woods. The local Roscoe P. Coltrane does camp out at the local convenience store though. Close to coffee and a bathroom.
None of them are going to look twice at a tractor on a trailer in-between farms. Hell, one of them stopped me on my ATV one time. I thought it was to yell at me for being on the road (I was going from one side of my property to the other, but the creek was too high to cross). He just wanted to warn me they would be shooting radar down the main road. At the convenience store. Lol. Then he tipped his hat and rolled out.
They have no interest in enforcing civilian trailering. They would have to call the state police. Then a statie would have to come out. That officer would then have to request a MCSU officer to come out.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Lot’s of advice here. All as good as the others.

Make your decision and report back with your success. Chances are whatever you decide will work out fine.

If not, half will get to say : “ I told you so!”

That’s life….

• Haha

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Since you have the trailer available I would trailer it because it is the safest. Why take the risk?

KubotaHawg

Equipment
L2800DT, LA463, Landpride ΒΒ1260, RCR1260
Jan 9, 2022
NW Arkansas
My 65 acres and cabin are 10.5 miles from home, takes me 25 minutes by truck—steep hilly back country roads. I drove the L2800 out there once and took an hour.
That was the only time I will trailer every time.

Gaspasser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Seems that "trailer it" is in the majority. Thanks for all the tips and opinions.