Breaking out the "Big Guns"

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
So there I am just cleaning up a little (not an everyday occurance for me...lolol) when the wife walks in.

Wife: The vans making noise.

Paul: What kind of noise?

Wife: A squeaking. I think its the brake "squealer".

Paul: F%$%

I know I did the brakes about 20k ago...... I think?

Welp, I yank the wheels and sure enough the right rear tire is "sticking".

I pulled the caliper and figured it had seized up/stuck because the inner pad is almost "metal to metal".

So I put my "rear caliper tool" to it and give her a twist/push and the caliper retracts easily.

Hmmmmmmm...........well that was easy. Then I grab the caliper slides and BAM!!!!!!

They are frozen solid!!!!!!

Ugh Ohhh........this could get ugly.

20240511_102058[1].jpg

Well Dodge made these slides with some "flats" that a 15/16 open end wrench fits perfectly, so I commence to twisting ever so slightly.

20240511_102113[1].jpg

As I twist with the wrench. I feel just a "wee bit" of "give" on the top one. Now I really don't want to have to replace the caliper attachment if I don't have to.

Its Sunday and I think that this will most likely be a "dealer only" item........I decide that this calls for the "The big Guns". KROIL!!!!!!!

I usually use PB blaster because it is generally "Good- Nuff", cheap, and readily available. But this calls for something more

I start searching for my little can and I'll be damned if I can find it......30 minutes later I just say "screw it" I'll tapp into the "Big Boy".

20240511_095005[1].jpg

I know I just saw that little can somewhere, but oh well. I grab a syringe and suck some up, then slip the needle under the caliper pin boots and fill it up.

I go back at it with the wrench, and little by little, it starts to free up. About 25 minutes later and a few more squirts of Kroil I am getting about 1/4 turn out of it.

I start tapping with a hammer and punch, but quickly discover that I need something more.....

Enter the " Air Hammer"....

20240511_102206[1].jpg

20240511_102153[1].jpg

Everyone in my family knows that when you hear the "Air Hammer" in use, do not "bug dad"......things are not going well, and there is much cursing and swearing that is coming forth .....hahahahha

Now I don't want to "bust off" the "ear' of this slider so I am just "feathering" the air hammer, then twisting with the wrench then more "feathering.....more Kroil.....more feathering.....more twisting.....more Kroil.......more feathering.......more twisting.......

Finally she pops out!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!

Now for the bottom one.

This one is way worse.....I am thinking that there is no way I am going to get this one....but after about an hour of the above feathering, oiling, twisting.....By the grace of God, I get it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
It appears that I did not use die-electric grease when putting them back together last time. I would like to blame it on someone or something else, but it was just a f up on my part, no "dancing around" that.

so now I gotta clean up the slide holes and pins. The wire wheel makes short work of the pins, but the holes are an entirely different story.

After looking around the shop I see my "dedicated .45 bore brush" sitting there and she fits pretty good.

So I wrap a few new strands of 'chore boy" around the bore brush and go at those bores with the some Kroil as a "cutting fluid".

20240511_095014[1].jpg

20240511_095018[1].jpg

20240511_095042[1].jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Now to grease them up with Silicone and pop them back in. Hmmm...where is that silicone?

Right there!!!!!! Next to that little can of Kroil I was searching for...hahahahahah.

BTW this is exactly why I try not to have shelves more than 6 inch deep.

Anything deeper, and I may as well just use 'it" once and throw it in the garbage, because I will never find it again....hahahah

20240511_095520[1].jpg

After calling Oriellys, I decide that I'll just order the parts from Detroit Axle and do them next week.

The End!

P.S.

Although I know that the vast majority of us have lost most of their guns to the "November Squalls" of the sea, If you do manage to find one, or know someone that has not been in a boating accident yet, wrapping a few strands of "Chore boy" around a bore brush works wonders.

Found this out when experimenting "working up" cast lead loads.

Until I got the loads dialed in, my bore looked like someone smeared a Hersey Bar down the bore, and the "Chore boy" trick cleaned them up fast and efficiently.

CAUTION: the "knock off" Chore boy's are "Steel, coated with copper", so, only use the real "Chore boy" if you are unsure.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I applaud your dedication and knowhow . Good job.
Thanks.

Also as an aside: I have decided to switch from that Mission dielectric and try a new "brake grease"

This stuff.....I have read that it is a wee bit thicker and works better. I have no idea, but we will see.

super lube.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You fellows at Romeo Transmission and Brake do great work even on Sunday. If you are not too backed up with work, could you please schedule me for an oil change on my Hispano Suiza

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
RWS how do you manage to take pictures of your projects? With filthy hands and thinking of what comes next while working, seems a camera is last on my mind! I do appreciate/enjoy the pictures though, but the story with them is actually what makes the pictures.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You fellows at Romeo Transmission and Brake do great work even on Sunday. If you are not too backed up with work, could you please schedule me for an oil change on my Hispano Suiza
Is that anything like “Colonia Suiza”?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So there I am just cleaning up a little (not an everyday occurance for me...lolol) when the wife walks in.

Wife: The vans making noise.

Paul: what kind of noise.

Wife: A squeaking. I think its the brake "squealer".

Paul: F%$%

I know I did the brakes about 20k ago...... I think?

Welp, I yank the wheels and sure enough the right rear tire is "sticking".

I pulled the caliper and figured it had seized up/stuck because the inner pad is almost "metal to metal".

So I put my "rear caliper tool" to it and give her a twist/push and the caliper retracts easily.

Hmmmmmmm...........well that was easy. Then I grab the caliper slides and BAM!!!!!!

They are frozen solid!!!!!!

Ugh Ohhh........this could get ugly.

View attachment 128249

Well Dodge made these slides with some "flats" that a 15/16 open end wrench fits perfectly, so I commence to twisting ever so slightly.

View attachment 128253

As I twist with the wrench. I feel just a "wee bit" of "give" on the top one. Now I really don't want to have to replace the caliper attachment if I don't have to.

Its Sunday and I think that this will most likely be a "dealer only" item........I decide that this calls for the "The big Guns". KROIL!!!!!!!

I usually use PB blaster because it is generally "Good- Nuff", cheap, and readily available. But this calls for something more

I start searching for my little can and I'll be damned if I can find it......30 minutes later I just say "screw it" I'll tapp into the "Big Boy".

View attachment 128254

I know I just saw that little can somewhere, but oh well. I grab a syringe and suck some up, then slip the needle under the caliper pin boots and fill it up.

I go back at it with the wrench, and little by little, it starts to free up. About 25 minutes later and a few more squirts of Kroil I am getting about 1/4 turn out of it.

I start tapping with a hammer and punch, but quickly discover that I need something more.....

Enter the " Air Hammer"....

View attachment 128255

View attachment 128263

Everyone in my family knows that when you hear the "Air Hammer" in use, do not "bug dad"......things are not going well, and there is much cursing and swearing that is coming forth .....hahahahha

Now I don't want to "bust off" the "ear' of this slider so i can just "feathering" the air hammer, then twisting with the wrench then more "feathering.....more Kroil.....more feathering.....more twisting.....more Kroil.......more feathering.......more twisting.......

Finally she pops out!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!

Now for the bottom one.

This one is way worse.....I am thinking that there is no way I am going to get this one....but after about an hour of the above feathering, oiling, twisting.....By the grace of God, I get it out.
Kroil is magical stuff!
MANY under estimate what Kroil, and persistence, can do.
Now to grease them up with Silicone and pop them back in. Hmmm...where is that silicone?

Right there!!!!!! Next to that little can of Kroil I was searching for...hahahahahah.

BTW this is exactly why I try not to have shelves more than 6 inch deep.

Anything deeper, and I may as well just use 'it" once and throw in in the garbage, because I will never find it again....hahahah

View attachment 128264

After calling Oriellys, I decide that I'll just order the parts from Detroit Axle and do them next week.

The End!

P.S.

Although I know that the vast majority of us have lost most of their guns to the "November Squalls" of the sea, If you do manage to find one, or know someone that has not been in a boating accident yet, wrapping a few strands of "Chore boy" around a bore brush works wonders.

Found this out when experimenting "working up" cast lead loads.

Until I got the loads dialed in, my bore looked like someone smeared a Hersey Bar down the bore, and the "Chore boy" trick cleaned them up fast and efficiently.

CAUTION: the "knock off" Chore boy's are "Steel coated with copper", so, only use the real "Chore boy" if you are unsure.
My SO wants me to keep everything in garage cabinets.
I HATE garage cabinets.
I want to SEE what I have on shelves, rather than having a treasure hunt, through cabinets.
She wants the garage to look like her living room.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
RWS how do you manage to take pictures of your projects? With filthy hands and thinking of what comes next while working, seems a camera is last on my mind! I do appreciate/enjoy the pictures though, but the story with them is actually what makes the pictures.
Thanks for the kind words.

I do have to clean my phone pretty often.

Oddly enough, taking the time to take pictures helps keep me calm/grounded.

Kind of a "Yin and Yang" type thing I suppose.

Picture taking is a relatively new phenomenon for me actually. Ironically I discovered it's therapeutic effects by doing the write ups here on OTT.

Sometimes I forget to take pics, like in this instance I actually forgot to take pics until I already had the caliper slides off, so the pics you see are "semi-staged", but the story is true. (y)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
The 2 happiest days of my life were:

The day I opened my shop; and the day I closed it.🍸🍸(y)

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Please schedule me for an oil change on my 1982 Yugo also.
Must have full synthetic!
Do you stock the OEM filter?

• Haha

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
What I want to know is: Who’s Paul?
The people in hell want to know when cold water and ice will be delivered. Paul told them to go to Helen Waite. Paul is the delivery guy.

• Haha

Sidekick

Equipment
RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Not a fun job. Thanks for the bore brush idea because that crap messes up reamers fast.
I tossed Kroil and PB Blaster for jobs like that. Switched to Blue Creeper that works better for me and smells good with only a couple drops required.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Kroil is magical stuff!
MANY under estimate what Kroil, and persistence, can do.

My SO wants me to keep everything in garage cabinets.
I HATE garage cabinets.
I want to SEE what I have on shelves, rather than having a treasure hunt, through cabinets.
She wants the garage to look like her living room.
I have a similar situation.

My wife loves cabinets and I hate them.

Lets not even discuss having to dig thru the refrigerator.

If I hit a Mega- lotto I am going to have a custom refrigerator made. It will be 6 inchs deep, 6 ft tall, and 25 feet wide.... ;)

• Love

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Not a fun job. Thanks for the bore brush idea because that crap messes up reamers fast.
I tossed Kroil and PB Blaster for jobs like that. Switched to Blue Creeper that works better for me and smells good with only a couple drops required.
Every time someone makes a post about the latest and greatest penetrating oil I look it up. If it is inexpensive then I will give it a try. Blue Creeper isn't the most expensive penetrant, but it is up there, and it appears that there are not a lot of places selling it. Being that I live near where it is manufactured and one of their distributors I will give it a try. If it works as well as they say I might even spring for the 16 oz or 1 gallon size. Where did you first hear about it and where did you purchase your bottle?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a similar situation.

My wife loves cabinets and I hate them.

Lets not even discuss having to dig thru the refrigerator.

If I hit a Mega- lotto I am going to have a custom refrigerator made. It will be 6 inchs deep, 6 ft tall, and 25 feet wide.... ;)
When that refrigerator time comes.....
Please contact me....
Perhaps we can get a deal on ordering two! :)

• Love

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Every time someone makes a post about the latest and greatest penetrating oil I look it up. If it is inexpensive then I will give it a try. Blue Creeper isn't the most expensive penetrant, but it is up there, and it appears that there are not a lot of places selling it. Being that I live near where it is manufactured and one of their distributors I will give it a try. If it works as well as they say I might even spring for the 16 oz or 1 gallon size. Where did you first hear about it and where did you purchase your bottle?
I too have never heard of "Blue Creeper"
Reviews are all very good,.....for sewing machine lubrication.

I have been using Kroil, as a penetrant, for many years, with phenomenal success.
Blue Creeper sells for $4.20 per oz.
Kroil sells for $1 per oz. ($128 per gallon)

I bought a full gallon of Kroil.
A gallon of Blue Creeper would apparently be $4.20 x 128oz = $537.60 ?
I shall pass on Blue Creeper.
I have multiple, and varied, penetrant issues/needs.
I only have one sewing machine!

Last edited: