Seat Safety Switch - A SOLUTION

kenlip

Equipment
MX5100, Challenger Loader, Pallet forks,
Dec 14, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I am loath to permanently disable the safety switch, but definitely need a way to stand while using the forks and when hitching the FEL implements. Trying to press down on the seat with one knee while trying to control the hydrostatic pedal with the other foot was not fun. So, in desperation I came up with this hack and it has been working perfectly.

The ends of the bungee are fixed to the tractor. I pull the bungee over the backrest when I need to stand, and slip it off once I am ready to drive the tractor seated.

I am thinking of adding a tennis ball in the middle of the bungee - it will be a definite physical reminder to me when I sit down and lean back against the backrest.

IMG_0216.jpg

Last edited:

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Just unplug the seat switch on the bottom of the seat and use a jumper wire to bypass the switch.....................easey peasey !!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users

kenlip

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Just unplug the seat switch on the bottom of the seat and use a jumper wire to bypass the switch.....................easey peasey !!!!!!
Easy peasy, but permanent. !!!!!!

Even 'easier-peasier' would be to simply use a cable tie to hold the switch lever down.

I wanted a solution that would allow me to stand for the intricacies of engaging the forks in pallets and hitching implements to the FEL, while being able to have the safety switch engaged when I sat down as was moving the tractor over more than just a few metres/feet.

Reactions: 1 user

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
What about an electronic solution? A momentary contact button on the dash which engages a relay to bypass the seat switch, that in turn is disengaged when you sit back down again? Perhaps with a warning beeper or buzzer when the bypass is active?

kenlip

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Sydney, Australia
What about an electronic solution? A momentary contact button on the dash which engages a relay to bypass the seat switch, that in turn is disengaged when you sit back down again? Perhaps with a warning beeper or buzzer when the bypass is active?
That was my original idea. I started investigating whether, when the seat was vacated, the switch opened to stop the flow of current or if it closed to ground the circuit. As I lifted the seat to start to check things out it occured to me that I could have the problem solved in about 30 seconds, using a $1 bungee cord. At that point, the electronic options lost a lot of appeal.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
I wanted a solution that would allow me to stand for the intricacies of engaging the forks in pallets and hitching implements to the FEL
FEL implements sitting atop some pallets are much easier to connect

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

I've been thinking of adding one of these countdown timer switches to the seat circuit in parallel with the seat switch. Press once if I need to do something at the edge of my seat and have it automatically reset after say 1 minute.

kenlip

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Sydney, Australia
So, you don't keep the bungee there, only when you need to stand?
Correct. The ends of the bungee are fixed to the tractor. I pull the bungee over the backrest when I need to stand, and slip it off once I am ready to drive the tractor seated. That is why I am thinking of adding a tennis ball in the middle of the bungee - it will be a definite physical reminder to me when I sit down and lean back against the backrest.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
just be real careful with the bungee ! They do NOT like the sun and will fly apart real FAST. MAybe the end only whacks you BUT you could lose your balance and oopsy....trip to hospital...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Imagine my pleasure when I bought my ‘96 M4700 and found that it never had a seat-switch at all.

Why were seat switches considered necessary? Because people were starting their tractors without being mounted on the seat and running themselves-over with the tractor. The neutral-start switch takes care of that.

If I had a tractor with the seat switch...unless a mid-mount mower type.... I”d disable it permanently.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Imagine my pleasure when I bought my ‘96 M4700 and found that it never had a seat-switch at all.

Why were seat switches considered necessary? Because people were starting their tractors without being mounted on the seat and running themselves-over with the tractor. The neutral-start switch takes care of that.

If I had a tractor with the seat switch...unless a mid-mount mower type.... I”d disable it permanently.
Why the MMM caveat? Neither of my tractors has a seat switch, and both have mid PTOs. Cannot imagine why I would want a seat switch on either of them... MMM on the BX...Do not use the mid PTO on the B2910.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Why the MMM caveat? Neither of my tractors has a seat switch, and both have mid PTOs. Cannot imagine why I would want a seat switch on either of them... MMM on the BX...Do not use the mid PTO on the B2910.
I have a lawn tractor/mower also and it has a seat switch which I have never disabled because to do so would allow the blades to be turning while mounting/dis-mounting and I don’t like the idea that some day my grandkids might try to use it. That was my thinking as regards a seat switch.

A mid-PTO Compact tractor may not have that issue.... I don’t know because I don’t have one. But if leaving the seat allows the blades to keep rotating on a mid-mount-mower.... I’d think that’d be a bad idea. YMMV

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
My old B1700 has 3 switches that need to be closed for it to start. Once she is running, you can get off it with everything spinning including MMM. No seat switch. My B3200 was purchased used and had the seat switch jumped out. If I remember the previous owner's wife was petite and it would keep shutting off when she scooted forward to reach the pedals and that is why they traded it in.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
This was my solution to the problem of needing to stand occasionally while using the forks...I'd call it semi-permanent.

Normal position:

B2650 switch normal position.JPG

"fixed" position:

B2650 switch fix.JPG

• Love

Whistlin

Equipment
L2900
Mar 10, 2023
Tennessee
have you tried this with a new generation Kubota...................old school generally does not work to by-pass the multi connected safety switches.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Wasn't there a member that wired up a dead man switch to the loader lever? Just for this sort of thing. I swear I remember seeing it around here.