Hunting and game posts

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Today was Wisconsin's opening day of rifle season. I know everyone likes seeing big buck pictures but today for me turned out the day to put a large mature doe in the freezer. Wi , in my zone, includes 2 antlerless tags with the purchase of a rifle buck tag. I have the rest of the week now to look for that nice buck :). It was warm , for rifle season, with a high of 51 or 51 F. A gorgeous day to be out on the land for sure!

A few pictures of my view from my box blind. The blue arrow denotes the spot the doe was when harvested. 99 yards according to my BIL's range finder.
View attachment 116417

View attachment 116418
I believe getting some meat early makes the hunt better. You can relax & watch for the right set of antlers. If you don’t see the buck you want, harvest another doe & smile when eating the venison chili.
Did the doe go far off the trail? Looks like the perfect place for an opportunity to present itself.

Reactions: 1 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I believe getting some meat early makes the hunt better. You can relax & watch for the right set of antlers. If you don’t see the buck you want, harvest another doe & smile when eating the venison chili.
Did the doe go far off the trail? Looks like the perfect place for an opportunity to present itself.
I normally ( I do not have a ton of deer to my credit) strive for a double lung shot but my blind is situated Fairly close to a property line with a land owner that traditionally does not give permission to blood track. Thank goodness I have not had that happen but I wanted to try out a high shoulder shot. The doe never took a step, no leg flailing or head raising. I believe it was as instant as Possible. This gives me some confidence to perhaps , while still being safe, to take a shot I might otherwise pass on.

Reactions: 1 user

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I normally ( I do not have a ton of deer to my credit) strive for a double lung shot but my blind is situated Fairly close to a property line with a land owner that traditionally does not give permission to blood track. Thank goodness I have not had that happen but I wanted to try out a high shoulder shot. The doe never took a step, no leg flailing or head raising. I believe it was as instant as Possible. This gives me some confidence to perhaps , while still being safe, to take a shot I might otherwise pass on.
Well done.
Do you shoot your rifle much? The question stems from whether you have the confidence to take a head shot. An accurate rifle, a solid rest (you have that), some trigger control, & a little knowledge of your quarry. This is a personal decision. You need to know where your bullet will be at whatever range you feel comfortable shooting. The pay off, the animal will be right there & field dressing is very clean & easy because all of the insides are untouched. I believe the meat is better.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
I really like that brachial plexus shot (high shoulder) with my muzzleloader shooting a 290g Barnes expander. It’s like throwing the main breaker—all systems power down immediately.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Well done.
Do you shoot your rifle much? The question stems from whether you have the confidence to take a head shot. An accurate rifle, a solid rest (you have that), some trigger control, & a little knowledge of your quarry. This is a personal decision. You need to know where your bullet will be at whatever range you feel comfortable shooting. The pay off, the animal will be right there & field dressing is very clean & easy because all of the insides are untouched. I believe the meat is better.
I USED to shoot a lot due to my chosen profession for 22 or so years (gunsmith trained at Colorado school of trades, went on to own and run a shop, retail and indoor range) but must admit after selling the business in 2002 I have let my shooting skills languish.

Under the right conditions I probably might consider a head shot but more than likely it would be a last resort. As you mentioned head shots are a personal decision and also hold a certain stigma in the hunting community.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I USED to shoot a lot due to my chosen profession for 22 or so years (gunsmith trained at Colorado school of trades, went on to own and run a shop, retail and indoor range) but must admit after selling the business in 2002 I have let my shooting skills languish.

Under the right conditions I probably might consider a head shot but more than likely it would be a last resort. As you mentioned head shots are a personal decision and also hold a certain stigma in the hunting community.
Whoops, I had no idea about your background. I feel like I just asked the “Pope” if he believes in God.
I like your set up (I have simular) & wish you many more seasons to enjoy it.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Whoops, I had no idea about your background. I feel like I just asked the “Pope” if he believes in God.
I like your set up (I have simular) & wish you many more seasons to enjoy it.
Dont feel that way at all Trapper Bob! My experience shooting deer sized game is very limited compared to others and enjoy the conversation and chance to learn from others, you included. In looking back at my shooting industry career I think I was too busy trying to make a living and feed my family in a very tough field to spend much time hunting! :)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Nice rig.
What model Kayak is that?
I'm gathering input for a possible buy of a fishing kayak.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
$24 lithium deer feeder batteries

Litime 12V 6Ah LiFePO4 Battery, 76.8W Rechargeable Lithium Battery Built-in 6A BMS, 4000+ Deep Cycles, Low Self-Discharge Rate, for Fish Finder Kids Scooter LED Light Security Camera Toys Camping https://a.co/d/gYtQVzx

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
He asked about the Kayak. Your response was about a battery.

Question about this thread: Is coyote hunting pics/videos allowed?
So, I didn't "qoute" his post to respond about the kayak...

I posted about a good battery for deer feeders or external battery for trail cameras.

I would like to see some yote huntin videos!

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Post #369
Just cause I didn't see a post, on a 4.8" smart phone screen with OTT forum plage with a ton of advertisements.

??????

Wilderness Tarpon 140, I'd rather have a 12ft yak with a wider stance and chair style seating, like maybe a Jackson yak.

The other yak in the pictures is my brother's, that will run ya $4500, plus another $1k in accessories, don't know much about that front mounted trolling motor yak...

Screenshot_20231125_083608_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231125_083620_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Just cause I didn't see a post, on a 4.8" smart phone screen with OTT forum plage with a ton of advertisements.

??????

Wilderness Tarpon 140, I'd rather have a 12ft yak with a wider stance and chair style seating, like maybe a Jackson yak.

The other yak in the pictures is my brother's, that will run ya $4500, plus another $1k in accessories, don't know much about that front mounted trolling motor yak...

View attachment 116819

View attachment 116820
Thanks!

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Today is the 1st day of firearms deer season in KS. We have a little snow cover.
image.jpg

Reactions: 1 users