L2502 vs L3902

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I'm at ~800 ft and I have stopped my 2501 using the box blade. I think any tractor can be stopped if you dig in far enough.

Since the loader capability was the same, the main reason I went with a 2501 was the "old school reliable" diesel engine. (When the EMP hits, (and it will), I bet I can get my tractor started ;) )

I will "turbo" it if/when I need too (or just want a cool project to do)

Reactions: 3 users

toobeary

Sep 27, 2023
Northern nevada
I won't disagree with you on that, and will say I tried to do the very same thing before I bought the L2501. Here, you couldn't find used machines. I would have loved something like a 40 series. I am sure there were some out there when I was shopping, but I looked diligently and finally gave up. I suppose I am in a bad area for that, as I could find them many miles away, but not around me. That would be a good alternative for the OP to consider though.
same here. I was hoping waiting till fall I’d see more options popping up. But so far there’s still nothing on the used market anywhere close for the orange.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Done a lot of research but can't find answers specific to my situation.

I understand mostly everything is the same between the two. Essentially it's just the hp and pto hp that's different. What I'm trying to understand is if my situation needs the increased engine hp.

I'm pretty much going to be using the tractor for moving dirt around, about a mile of gravel driveway / trail maintenance and 1000’ of snow removal.

I live in a dry hilly area with rocky sandy soil at 5500' elevation.

Most examples of people recommending the 3902 over the 2502 is for mowing on hills or using other pto stuff. I have hills, but I won't be mowing. Just dirt moving, gravel driveway / trail maintenance and snow removal. I see myself getting a snow pusher and not a blower, so I likely won't be using the pto for that. To my knowledge You don't use the pto for grading, box blading, or any other driveway maintenance tasks. So I'm really thinking the pto increase doesn't really matter for my needs.

So it just comes down to engine hp. Can the 2502 pull a fully loaded box blade up a hill? Can it plow with a snow pusher at or close to the same speed as the 3902? I can tolerate taking twice as long fixing the driveway once a year or so. Taking twice as long to clear snow 2 times a week for 5 months is a no go and will justify the 3902.

Budget is not as much of a factor as avoiding the dpf system on the 3902.

I live at 8600 ish ft elevation, Turbo is a requirement. 5500 is not a requirement but you are loosing a decent bit of power. I would recommend a turbo machine. If you snow plow up hill ever you will want the power.

Engine HP wont matter for dirt work much. Weight is what matters. More HP just means the tires will spin if you really dig into the ground...you need them to grab and that is weight.

Do you have wind in the Winter in NV? Have you lived in your current location through multiple Winters? Here Drift is most important, not the actual snow even itself.

Reactions: 2 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I'm a flat lander but have some small hills. I hate how slow my 2501 is in medium. It can barely get up a hill in high gear. This is extremely annoying moving dirt in one direction, and having an empty load the other direction. It's a nice torquey engine but the travel speeds suck.

I never use PTO and wish I had more power just for the moving of material, my 2501 with a toothbar has no problem pushing a pile. The 4k to go to a 3901 would've been almost nothing over a 7 year loan.
That’s part of the reason I added a Turbo system to my L2501. More PTO power would be another. And for guys in elevation, the L2501 Turbo Kit (a necessary altitude compensator) is extremely valuable.

Mike

Reactions: 1 user

WE349a

Sep 6, 2023
California
That’s part of the reason I added a Turbo system to my L2501. More PTO power would be another. And for guys in elevation, the L2501 Turbo Kit (a necessary altitude compensator) is extremely valuable.

Mike
Does the kit fit the 2502? My guess is it needs a bit of rerouting of components?

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
To snowplow uphill after it ices you will need chains $$$ regardless of HP. Made my own chains from semi-truck chains, free and they work great.

toobeary

Sep 27, 2023
Northern nevada

Mike
is that an actual oem kit? If 3rd party would it void kubota warranties?

toobeary

Sep 27, 2023
Northern nevada
I live at 8600 ish ft elevation, Turbo is a requirement. 5500 is not a requirement but you are loosing a decent bit of power. I would recommend a turbo machine. If you snow plow up hill ever you will want the power.

Engine HP wont matter for dirt work much. Weight is what matters. More HP just means the tires will spin if you really dig into the ground...you need them to grab and that is weight.

Do you have wind in the Winter in NV? Have you lived in your current location through multiple Winters? Here Drift is most important, not the actual snow even itself.
we do have wind. Only lived through one winter so far. What do you mean by Drift?

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Does the kit fit the 2502? My guess is it needs a bit of rerouting of components?
No, unfortunately, we're gonna have to make new pipes and a new oiling system for the L2502.

Mike

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
is that an actual oem kit? If 3rd party would it void kubota warranties?
No. Not OEM.
And yes, unfortunately the warranty is toast with the installation of the Turbo Kit.

However, my Turbo system has been installed on my L2501 for over a year now. I haven't had the need to use the warranty or have had any issues with the tractor.

Mike

toobeary

Sep 27, 2023
Northern nevada
I know this might be a touchy subject, but How easy/hard is it to remove the emissions systems on something like a 3902 after the warranty expires if you did run into issues?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
And it has a mid PTO for that blower he will inevitably be buying!
Mid pto blowers on kubotas...I am not a fan. Your options are manual subframe mount which you have to remove from the machine and mount each season...or the autohitch which is extremely expensive. The Front blower is also over double the cost (7k blower, 3k subframe) over the rear last I checked.

Pretty sure none of the standard L machines have a Mid PTO option...you have to move up to Grand L.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
we do have wind. Only lived through one winter so far. What do you mean by Drift?
Drift is blowing snow that fills in areas across the landscape that are lower...lots of time on roads if you have a hill on the upwind side, the snow will settle in the low spots (on your road).

So you end up having to do snow removal for the initial snow fall, then you have to do it over and over and over again as long as the drift keeps setting back in from the wind. Basically you are never done removing snow until the ground has no more snow to blow around.

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Mid pto blowers on kubotas...I am not a fan. Your options are manual subframe mount which you have to remove from the machine and mount each season...or the autohitch which is extremely expensive. The Front blower is also over double the cost (7k blower, 3k subframe) over the rear last I checked.

Pretty sure none of the standard L machines have a Mid PTO option...you have to move up to Grand L.
The post I quoted was talking about an LX. Didn’t know they were that much of a pain in the ass, as I’ve never used one being in Georgia and all.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I will "turbo" it if/when I need too (or just want a cool project to do)
You don’t have to, but it’d sure be cool if you did. With pictures.

Could be a drinking story or a C-W song…

My wife doesn’t buy that line for whatever reasons. 🤣

• Haha

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
5 months of snow, using a front blade, on an open station tractor?
I don't think you'll like it at all. It will be fun the first few times but when the real snow hits, not so much.
Better option for speed and comfort is a cab tractor and a snow blower. Hands down. A Front blower is more comfortable, but a 3 point rear blower (front or rear facing), are much much better than blade.
A LOT more money for a blower and cab but you'll be a LOT happier.

Front snow blades are better than nothing, but tractors are slow.
I have a snowplow on my ATV, and hitting fresh snow at about 10mph or higher really throws the snow. And the ATV whips around fast. Can't do that on a SCUT with a blade. Of course on the ATV I'm freezing.

There may be times like this. My driveway last year. No, I don't have a snow blower attachment. Only option was the bucket.
20221224_092625.jpg
This is snow "drift".

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
My ATV with snowplow. I get my parking area around the house and the lawn area done before my Kubota even warms up.
The cords are for engine heater and battery tender.
20221215_181329.jpg

Reactions: 1 users