SOLVED BX23S FEL lift stopped working?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Is there a way for him to disconnect the PB (hose, hopefully) at the 3ph and put it in the bucket and see if it works?
Yes but not in a bucket - it needs to go in the hydraulic filler. As soon as the tractor is started oil is going to be flowing through the power beyond hose non- stop and would pump the tractor dry PDQ if its not returning to sump.

I think all that will do is confirm what we already suspect. The loader valve is fine - the path back to tank inside the tractor is not.

Dan

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Yes but not in a bucket - it needs to go in the hydraulic filler. As soon as the tractor is started oil is going to be flowing through the power beyond hose non- stop and would pump the tractor dry PDQ if its not returning to sump.

I think all that will do is confirm what we already suspect. The loader valve is fine - the path back to tank inside the tractor is not.

Dan
Good point. But you'd know he had flow :rolleyes:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
According to the WSM (chapter7 -2 ), oil flows 1st to the loader valves then to the 3PH valve. Since 'bucket' functions, it's not a 3PH issue.
I'd still like visual confirmation that the joystick is connected and moves the loader lift valve fully in and out.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Yes we would but only for about 2 minutes....

Go read post #16 - I think its germane just dont know how.
Has the 3ph operation been confirmed? If it goes up, PB flow has to be moving. If so, I think he hit on something in post #4, the loader valve/linkage got messed up when he tried float.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Has the 3ph operation been confirmed? If it goes up, PB flow has to be moving. If so, I think he hit on something in post #4, the loader valve/linkage got messed up when he tried float.
That was my guess. It all happened after using float. But the loader went up fine with the hose to the cylinder disconnected! So the linkage is fine????

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
According to the WSM (chapter7 -2 ), oil flows 1st to the loader valves then to the 3PH valve. Since 'bucket' functions, it's not a 3PH issue.
I'd still like visual confirmation that the joystick is connected and moves the loader lift valve fully in and out.
Read more carefully expeciakly the detsiled description of individual functions.

When bucket spool is shifted exhaust oil from bucket does not go to 3pt - it goes straight to tank via tank port on vslve.

When lift spool is shifted exhaust oil does not go to tank pory. It goes to powet beyond port and 3pt vslve, through the 3pt valve, and then to tank. If that 3pt valve is not in neutral the loader lift function will be blocked.

This is standard Kubota design and a regular problem with all current Kubota loaders. I have probably helpef half a dozen people experiencing some variant of this ptoblem in the past two weeks. Should be a FAQ.

Dan

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
That was my guess. It all happened after using float. But the loader went up fine with the hose to the cylinder disconnected! So the linkage is fine????
Yes the linkage is fine and the spool is being shifted. . If you really think float has caused an arcane internal malfunction in the loader valve we can easily test it by disconnecting power beyond hose on the loader valve and re-routing it straight to tank. Break out the wrenches and some bandaids for cuts and scraped knuckles.

Dan

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Can you discern when the relief valve is relieving? You should hear it when the bucket curl reaches its stop, but not when no hydraulics are being used.

Yours is located under the seat, I believe.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Can you discern when the relief valve is relieving? You should hear it when the bucket curl reaches its stop, but not when no hydraulics are being used.

I am familiar with the sound the relief valve makes. When no hyd are being used I do not hear the relief valve

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
How? If you really think thats a possibility we can easily test it by disconnecting power beyond on the loader valve sndcrerouyingvit straight to tsnk. Break out the wrenches and some bandaids for cuts and scraped knuckles.

Dan
Don't think that's necessary. Not yet, anyway. If his 3ph is working, he's bound to be getting PB through the loader valve, right?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

He has a pressure gauge. A pressure measurement at backhoe connection and all valves in neutral will definitively tell us if PB is blocked or not. It wont tell us where.

Dan

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I only had my backhoe off once, but I do remember that there are 3 hoses to the BX23S backhoe. I would remove the backhoe and put the hoses on in their proper place and see what happens. I am not a believer in brute force, but I would be inclined to give the valve a tap with a brass hammer in case one of the balls inside the valve is hanging up.
The problem I had with the MMM was on my BX22, so it might not be the same.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Don't think that's necessary. Not yet, anyway. If his 3ph is working, he's bound to be getting PB through the loader valve, right?
I domt doubt he is getting PB from the loader valve. In fact I am pretty sure he is. The 3pt valve is my concern. Looking at the parts diagram the spool is not s rigid connection to the lever. Possible the lever is in neutral but the spool is stuck in a shifted position ????

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I only had my backhoe off once, but I do remember that there are 3 hoses to the BX23S backhoe. I would remove the backhoe and put the hoses on in their proper place and see what happens. I am not a believer in brute force, but I would be inclined to give the valve a tap with a brass hammer in case one of the balls inside the valve is hanging up.
The problem I had with the MMM was on my BX22, so it might not be the same.
The backhoe is first in the chain and is not even on the tractor at this point. Thst portion of the PB circuit is jumpetd togethet with hose and clearly working.

Dan

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
We know the lift spool is working. As soon as we disconnect the rod end hose and let it dump into a bucket up she goes.. Its not a joystick linkage problem.

Do you have sny insight into how the 3pt vslve works. Clearly not position control.

Dan
The BX has a quarter inching valve for the 3ph. Lift the lever up, the 3ph goes up until you let go the lever. Push the lever down, the 3ph goes down until you let go the lever. When the lever is in the middle nothing happens. It's a pretty simple setup, not too much could go wrong I suspect.

Is it possible there's some grot in the pipework somewhere between the quick connect coupler and the tank? That would block flow. Or a bend or crimp in the pipe I guess.

A float valve is supposed to open the circuit (both ways), right? If the float valve was jammed I don't see how that stops oil returning to the tank.