battery not charging

overmyhead

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 Kubota B2601
Jan 27, 2023
Hebron,Maine
Charged old battery several times, tractor would start and run for 2-3 times for approx. 2-3hrs before getting sluggish on startups. Winter set in so I put a new battery in and now I'm dealing with the same scenario. I put a volt meter on the battery and get 10.4v jump start and it runs for a while and dies, jump again (not charge) and it runs for a while.
Where do I go from here to diagnose the issue or issues.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Your tractor has a dynamo. A dynamo is like an old bicycle light generator which rubbed on the tire.
The dynamo itself is extremely reliable. The dynamo will have two leads, usually blue. Set your multi meter to AC not DC , run the engine with the two leads disconnected and measure the voltage coming out.
It should be around 15 volts AC at idle and increase as engine speed goes up.
There is a series of tests you can do to verify the regulator.
forum B2601 charging.jpg

Forum member lugbolt put together a great trouble shooting document which I have attached.

Before doing anything check the basics. Battery connections. Battery connection to frame. Fan belt driving dynamo.

Dave

Attachments

overmyhead

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 Kubota B2601
Jan 27, 2023
Hebron,Maine
Your tractor has a dynamo. A dynamo is like an old bicycle light generator which rubbed on the tire.
The dynamo itself is extremely reliable. The dynamo will have two leads, usually blue. Set your multi meter to AC not DC , run the engine with the two leads disconnected and measure the voltage coming out.
It should be around 15 volts AC at idle and increase as engine speed goes up.
There is a series of tests you can do to verify the regulator.
View attachment 94671

Forum member lugbolt put together a great trouble shooting document which I have attached.

Before doing anything check the basics. Battery connections. Battery connection to frame. Fan belt driving dynamo.

Dave
Thank you for the solid info.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You should check the wiring diagram or online parts if OEM. Often owners will 'upgrade' the charging system, so it's important to know if the unit is 'factory' or 'modified'.
If the 'unit' has a part number...google it.
I can't say it's a dynamo or alternator. Heck I've seen 'generators' that are actually alternators in disguise !

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
You should check the wiring diagram or online parts if OEM. Often owners will 'upgrade' the charging system, so it's important to know if the unit is 'factory' or 'modified'.
If the 'unit' has a part number...google it.
I can't say it's a dynamo or alternator. Heck I've seen 'generators' that are actually alternators in disguise !
Yeah no modification. It's original to the machine. So honestly even though I have the WSM I would not know exactly what to look for

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
battery is bad. You'll have to replace it to even begin diagnosing anything else. Voltage regulator won't "turn on" until it has a certain voltage which it may not have. I just went through this on my Massey, I know different setup but I've been nursing a low battery for over 7 years and it fially got to the point where it just wouldn't kick off anymore even with a jump box, and also wouldn't charge.

Reactions: 1 user

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
My 2 cents. Put your meter on the battery posts while the tractor is running, should be around 14VDC. If not check the battery leads and see what you get, again, should be +/-14VDC. If not check the charging charging wire on the alternator, should be +/-14.
The reason I say check the voltage on the battery posts while running is to make sure the battery is getting charged. I've been bit by a bad connection on the battery post. Cleaned it up and all was good.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
battery is bad. You'll have to replace it to even begin diagnosing anything else. Voltage regulator won't "turn on" until it has a certain voltage which it may not have. I just went through this on my Massey, I know different setup but I've been nursing a low battery for over 7 years and it fially got to the point where it just wouldn't kick off anymore even with a jump box, and also wouldn't charge.
A 100 amp carbon pile battery load tester is available on Amazon for $42.
Everybody should have one.

Reactions: 2 users

overmyhead

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 Kubota B2601
Jan 27, 2023
Hebron,Maine
I found the issue, mouse nest in the regulator plug and mouse pee corroded the red wire spade completely off. I looked up the part to finf the whole assembly is available but i wish i could just replace the spade that connects to red and slide it back in place. Where would i start looking for that kind of connector?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I found the issue, mouse nest in the regulator plug and mouse pee corroded the red wire spade completely off. I looked up the part to finf the whole assembly is available but i wish i could just replace the spade that connects to red and slide it back in place. Where would i start looking for that kind of connector?
Maybe your nearest NAPA in Littleton, NH?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
If you
If you provided a photo I could give much better advice on possible repair.
Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Maybe your nearest NAPA in Littleton, NH?
You do not have a separate voltage regulator. On your machine the alternator has a built in voltage regulator.
You have a problem but I do not think it involves your voltage regulator.
What is the part number of the part you looked up?
Picture please
Dave