Cold effects on diesel fuel.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm not sure what "particularly good" means. I'm also not sure what his test actually proves although it was extremely boring. ;) I do know Power Service in the white bottle has worked for me for 16 years. Granted, that just proves it works for my conditions.

As soon as someone has a big enough test bed to prove that I should switch, I'll consider it. Otherwise, it's an academic argument since I know the product I use works for me.

You've also just proven Stanadyne works for you.

Two of us is a very small sample size or 3 if you count the YouTube tester.
You found the video boring? OK. But you're right about the anecdotal evidence and the small test sample. I'm going to look more closely at Hot Shots Secret the next time I need fuel additive. If it's significantly cheaper than Stanadyne I'll try that. I'm interested in what works and paying as little as possible for it.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Central N.C. was also part of that really cold weather and we scrambled to get anti-gel treatment into our equipment and fuel storage tanks.

Power Service White was sold out so I purchased Lucus treatment and Hot shot Secret anti-gel treatment. Lucus treatment was 32oz to treat 125 gallons of fuel. Hot shot was 16oz could treat 125 gallons. Hot Shot was also less expensive.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
TxTom… I was just drving thru your county this weekend returning to the Hill Country from Toledo Bend….
You will never need to add any anti-gel to your diesel living in Leon Co. It won’t hurt anything to add it except your wallet…but it’s not expensive either. It just won’t be something you need.

However, a biocide IS a good idea especailly if you have a diesel storage tank. (I use Biobor-JF because it meets Mil-Specs and was what was approved for the airplanes I flew that used jet fuel….Figured that was a good recommendation.)

Reactions: 1 user

TxTom

Equipment
L3301
Sep 16, 2022
Leon County, Tx
Thanks for all the replies. Two local Kubota dealers said I "probably" do not need any additives. I have decided to start using Stabil Diesel All Seasons. It is anti-gel and has water demulsification.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Two local Kubota dealers said I "probably" do not need any additives. I have decided to start using Stabil Diesel All Seasons. It is anti-gel and has water demulsification.
Not to mention anti-corrosion properties and lubricity benefits. It never ceases to amaze me how little so many know about the stuff they sell. What a joke!

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
TxTom… I was just drving thru your county this weekend returning to the Hill Country from Toledo Bend….
You will never need to add any anti-gel to your diesel living in Leon Co. It won’t hurt anything to add it except your wallet…but it’s not expensive either. It just won’t be something you need.

However, a biocide IS a good idea especailly if you have a diesel storage tank. (I use Biobor-JF because it meets Mil-Specs and was what was approved for the airplanes I flew that used jet fuel….Figured that was a good recommendation.)

Served on many ships that ballasted fuel tanks for stability reasons. Ships also deployed with helicopters, Biobor was all we used to treat fuels.

TxTom

Equipment
L3301
Sep 16, 2022
Leon County, Tx
I'm glad to hear the gel in diesel goes away when the weather warms up.
I don't run my tractor when it's very cold anyway.

Last edited:

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
For a lot of us the icing in diesel is a concern before gelling.
I have an outdoor fuel oil tank that I also treat for water/icing. That too will gel,

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
dé·jà vu for $200 Alex. :rolleyes:
Sorry if this was posted before, did a search and didn't see it. I know the video is 3 years old, so assume its been referenced before, only posted it as someone mentioned I needed to add it to my tractor, and the one suggested was one of the lower performers.

EDIT - I just realized that this thread has two pages.. search linked me to the second page, and didn't see it there - now I know.