Skid Shoes

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
So I ended up buying a rear blade to use for snow removal on a gravel driveway. With not skid shoes on there will I just end up tearing up the gravel? Are these a must have?

Thanks
Yes, you can. If the driveway is frozen it is less likely. I would try to find a set just to be safe. Additionally, you can also set your 3 pt adjustment so the blade is just a little off the driveway. Also you can adjust the top link so your blade doesn't dig in.

Reactions: 1 user

Bee-Positive

Equipment
BX1880
Nov 16, 2022
Amsterdam, NY
Upstate NY hasn't quite frozen solid yet, so I used a Sawzall to cut a slit on a piece of heavy PVC pipe and pounded it on my plow blade. The bolts on the blades cutting edge hold it on just fine. Once the gravel driveway freezes I'll take it off. Depending on the size of the area you're clearing it may not hold up very long, tends to crack and chip. It has reduced to amount of stone I pick up by about 80% and does a very good job removing snow.

I don't own a back blade so not sure if this would work for you.

1673847760373.jpeg
1673847793700.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

SRRGC1

Equipment
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Upstate NY hasn't quite frozen solid yet, so I used a Sawzall to cut a slit on a piece of heavy PVC pipe and pounded it on my plow blade. The bolts on the blades cutting edge hold it on just fine. Once the gravel driveway freezes I'll take it off. Depending on the size of the area you're clearing it may not hold up very long, tends to crack and chip. It has reduced to amount of stone I pick up by about 80% and does a very good job removing snow.

I don't own a back blade so not sure if this would work for you.

View attachment 94055
View attachment 94056
Some use a metal pipe and then tack weld it on. They claim it works well for stone driveways. I kinda like your setup better. PVC easier to cut and deal with. What size of pipe did you use? Appears like 1 1/2 or 2".

Bee-Positive

Equipment
BX1880
Nov 16, 2022
Amsterdam, NY
Some use a metal pipe and then tack weld it on. They claim it works well for stone driveways. I kinda like your setup better. PVC easier to cut and deal with. What size of pipe did you use? Appears like 1 1/2 or 2".
It's 2" ID, 1/8" thick, grey color, I think it's exterior pipe, no lettering on it.

It did start to break off on the ends and the bottom was getting a flat spot from the gravel. But it did the job and now that everything is frozen, I took it off. -40 below wind chills possible tomorrow and Saturday. :(
I'll flip it over and put it back on when things thaw out again. If I get one season out of one piece of pipe, I'm happy. Especially since I was given about eight ten footers for free. Now I just need to save up for a cab, I don't mind the snow but -40F!!!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Find some schedule 80 PVC pipe if you want something durable. It has double the wall thickness of standard PVC. The grey PVC is an electrical conduit.

Reactions: 1 users

SRRGC1

Equipment
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
It's 2" ID, 1/8" thick, grey color, I think it's exterior pipe, no lettering on it.

It did start to break off on the ends and the bottom was getting a flat spot from the gravel. But it did the job and now that everything is frozen, I took it off. -40 below wind chills possible tomorrow and Saturday. :(
I'll flip it over and put it back on when things thaw out again. If I get one season out of one piece of pipe, I'm happy. Especially since I was given about eight ten footers for free. Now I just need to save up for a cab, I don't mind the snow but -40F!!!
Thank you for the update. Unsure what direction I will end up.

Bee-Positive

Equipment
BX1880
Nov 16, 2022
Amsterdam, NY
Find some schedule 80 PVC pipe if you want something durable. It has double the wall thickness of standard PVC. The grey PVC is an electrical conduit.
Thanks DR, I never used electrical conduit that big before so was unsure, but it was free. Schedule 80 would be much more durable.

UPDATE: It only got down to -18F with wind chills around -35F Friday night.
Supposed to be mid 40's Sunday. Go figure.
I'll definitely need to get a cab by next winter.