Steering Wheel Spinner knob for B2601

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I have been trying to find a good fitting spinner for my steering wheel, but just can't seem to locate one. I started out buying one from the Kubota dealer and got it home and started to install it on the wheel. As I was tightening the screws with the Allen wrench I noticed the nut that was molded into the base was spinning with the bolt preventing the clamp to tighten down on the steering wheel.
No, I did not over tighten the screw by cranking on the long handle of the Allen wrench. I learned years ago to only use the long portion of that wrench to loosen the screws and not tighten.
I checked on line reviews on this style spinner knob and found several others make the same claim, but figured they were just over tightening the clamps.
The dealer had no problem taking the spinner back and refunding me.
I have since bought a couple more of different styles only to get them home and find they would not wrap around the steering wheel of my B2601.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what to get or where to get it?
I have done on line searches, but they all seem to be the same as far as the bottom strap being undersized!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Build up the ring diameter with electrical tape and mount it. Myself, I use the one from Tractor Supply, less expensive that a 'Kubota' spinner.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Building up is just the opposite of my trouble. Seems the steering wheel is just too thick in diameter.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
The one I have to take back today is from Tractor Supply. It has the exposed nuts and bolts and I thought that is best so I can hold the nut with a wrench and put the phillips head screw driver on other end. No slipping, but the band that goes under the wheel is too small.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Maybe I am not using the spinner correctly.
I open the package and find three pieces besides the nuts and bolts. There is the spinner, one flatter bar with mounting holes and one bar deeply bent in center to go under the steering wheel that also has the bolt holes. Am I supposed to use the flat bar on top and bent bar on bottom, or just use EITHER the flat bar or bent bar as needed on bottom and place the spinner on top?
I hope this makes sense....
Never mind... I just went out and tried without using the deeply bent mounting bar and it does not work without all pieces. Still looking for one that properly fits and that has exposed hardware.

Last edited:

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
Amazon spinner knob
I purchased this one for my M9540 and subsequently have one for my hopefully soon to be delivered LX2610. The top cap pops out and you use the provided hex wrench to remove the metal band - wrap around steering wheel(use included plastic spacer if needed) - tighten the bolt - reinstall cap.
I like the way it works on my M9540 - I hope that they did not 'improve' their design.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have been trying to find a good fitting spinner for my steering wheel, but just can't seem to locate one. I started out buying one from the Kubota dealer and got it home and started to install it on the wheel. As I was tightening the screws with the Allen wrench I noticed the nut that was molded into the base was spinning with the bolt preventing the clamp to tighten down on the steering wheel.
No, I did not over tighten the screw by cranking on the long handle of the Allen wrench. I learned years ago to only use the long portion of that wrench to loosen the screws and not tighten.
I checked on line reviews on this style spinner knob and found several others make the same claim, but figured they were just over tightening the clamps.
The dealer had no problem taking the spinner back and refunding me.
I have since bought a couple more of different styles only to get them home and find they would not wrap around the steering wheel of my B2601.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what to get or where to get it?
I have done on line searches, but they all seem to be the same as far as the bottom strap being undersized!

I have 4 spinners on 4 tractors - the older models are easy to install, the spokes are small and the clamping method works well. HOWEVER - the newer style spokes are fat and do not allow the spinner to sit correctly nor are the standard bolts long enough to do the job.

I placed a small piece of soft rubber under this one on my BX and then used longer bolts - this is an old picture, since then I replaced the bolts and foam with something better and used a different bolt head and cut the bolts to correct length.

2017-09-16 12.31.00.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
The only question I have is where are you trying to secure it? As per "85Hokie" at the tee or on the outer ring? I mounted mine on the ring.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As for where is goes - I have seen them on the ring and spoke - IF on the outer ring - the spinning backwards when hand left on outside becomes a problem. I have always placed them on the spokes. If you look carefully at this particular design - the flange on the top side allows difference from spoke to rim thickness.

Then again - there are those that are made for the rim only.

1602269883209.png

here is something I did not know about the "spinners"

Last edited:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have mine mounted very similar to how 85Hokie has his. I got mine from Amazon for less than $15.00
20200628_233402.jpg

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I have 4 spinners on 4 tractors - the older models are easy to install, the spokes are small and the clamping method works well. HOWEVER - the newer style spokes are fat and do not allow the spinner to sit correctly nor are the standard bolts long enough to do the job.

I placed a small piece of soft rubber under this one on my BX and then used longer bolts - this is an old picture, since then I replaced the bolts and foam with something better and used a different bolt head and cut the bolts to correct length.

View attachment 49232
This is the exact model I just took back. The bar on the underside is one of two that cme with it but the bolts were no where long enough so I just returned it.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I keep a couple truck inner tubes handy for projects and can use a piece of it to go between the spinner and wheel so it does not mare it when I tighten down. I did see a rivet under the spinner and was worried it would tear into the wheel.
I really appreciate all the response and help here. I already have a couple nice chrome nuts and bolts in the hardware box that I can use as well as the inner tube I just used some of when mounting the brackets on ROPS for work lights

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
This looks like my steering wheel. I guess I need to go back and buy the knob again!
You may have to get longer screws to mount it. I had to first tighten the screws until the tabs bent and then put the original screws on once the tabs came close enough for the original ones to fit. I hope that makes sense. The alternative would be leave the longer screws on and cut off the excess threaded length.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Went back to Tractor Supply and got the spinner back that I just returned a couple days ago and got it to work just fine. Tried mounting it wrong, but made corrections and it is fine.
I did have to get a couple longer bolts and used Nylock nuts on the bottom.
I will have to remember to get a couple pics to post.
Appreciate all the help from you guys. Spinner works very well. Just feels a little funny because I mounted it on the spoke and not the rim, but I am getting used to it already. I may try it on the rim in a week or so to see the difference and decide what way I want to go with it.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Went back to Tractor Supply and got the spinner back that I just returned a couple days ago and got it to work just fine. Tried mounting it wrong, but made corrections and it is fine.
I did have to get a couple longer bolts and used Nylock nuts on the bottom.
I will have to remember to get a couple pics to post.
Appreciate all the help from you guys. Spinner works very well. Just feels a little funny because I mounted it on the spoke and not the rim, but I am getting used to it already. I may try it on the rim in a week or so to see the difference and decide what way I want to go with it.
Before I installed mine on the spoke I first tried it on the rim. After hitting my wrist with the spinner several times I decided to try the spoke instead. This way the spinner is not hitting my wrist, especially when working in reverse.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have mine mounted very similar to how 85Hokie has his. I got mine from Amazon for less than $15.00 View attachment 49239
I have to say I do not like the 'stylized' steering wheels on the newer Kubota tractors. Looks like a car steering wheel. No wonder my 'suicide knobs fit better. I have skinny spokes and rim.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I have to say I do not like the 'stylized' steering wheels on the newer Kubota tractors. Looks like a car steering wheel. No wonder my 'suicide knobs fit better. I have skinny spokes and rim.
It feels strange using the spinner on this steering wheel. Makes me think the wheel is bent as I spin around with the knob. I will give the rim a try in a few days to see how it feels.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
It feels strange using the spinner on this steering wheel. Makes me think the wheel is bent as I spin around with the knob. I will give the rim a try in a few days to see how it feels.
Do give it some time. I felt the same way that you do at first but I got used to it. One thing about the spinner being nearer to the center of the wheel is that you don't have to work as hard turning the wheel. The shorter throw when turning the wheel also speeds up the turn. I actually liked it much better after I got used to it.