Looking at an L3301 with LA525 and 72" finish mower

TimberwolfFXDL

Equipment
B7300 with some implements/attachments
Sep 8, 2020
Battle Creek, MI
I'm thinking about selling my trusty B7300 and upgrading. A local landscape supply company has an L3301 for sale.

They had a second location in another town, and it closed, so now the equipment is redundant at their sole location.

The owner says it was always stored inside and well maintained. It was used to load customer vehicles, mostly with top soil, sand, bark/mulch, etc.

It has 143 hours and looks near mint. Tires are in great shape. He says the finish mower (land pride) only has an hour of use on it.

They are asking "around 20k but accepting offers"

I have no idea if this is reasonable or not. Serial number tag says manufacture date of 4/2016, for what it's worth.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
You might want to go to Tractorhouse to get an idea on what they are going for. I briefly looked, and it appears the price is not out of the norm, but I have seen some cheaper and tractor features will dictate a higher price. Is it HST? Does it have remotes, 3rd function, SSQA loader, R4 Industrial tires?

TimberwolfFXDL

Equipment
B7300 with some implements/attachments
Sep 8, 2020
Battle Creek, MI
You might want to go to Tractorhouse to get an idea on what they are going for. I briefly looked, and it appears the price is not out of the norm, but I have seen some cheaper and tractor features will dictate a higher price. Is it HST? Does it have remotes, 3rd function, SSQA loader, R4 Industrial tires?
It is an HST with industrial tires. No third function that I saw. Not sure what SSQA is...

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Sorry, (SSQA) skid steer quick attach bucket. SSQA would be a must for me so you can use pallet forks, grapple, etc. I see new L3301s on Tractorhouse for about $25K. Used ones with similar hours are going for about $20K, some less. Of course, the finish mower adds some to the overall price.

I guess the price is fair, maybe better than some. He is certainly not giving it away though. If you were serious, you should offer less. If you look at it, see if it has the original grey filters. If so, it has not been maintained.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
What kind of tries (tread) does it have? How does the width of the mower compare with the width of the rear tractor wheels? I had an L3200 and ran a 6' mower. it seemed about right for coverage width. That deck was about the max for 32hp.

If you can, keep the B7300 as well.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The price seems about right. If you don't need the power you might consider dropping to 25 horsepower. I passed on anything larger due to the diesel particulate filter required on newer tractors over 25 hp. I don't feel computers have a place on tractors and feel simpler is better.

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Looks like new, make them an offer and see what they say. I doubt you would be disappointed if you bought it.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
A not inconsequential consideration from my perspective is the issue of state sales tax. Here in Pennsylvania if you bought that from a dealer it would cost you $1,200 more. Under your scenario you are buying personal property and dodge the sales tax. Sometimes its probably preferable to buy from a dealer but not with a newer low hour machine in my opinion.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Never hurts to offer low. But that's a tidy machine, don't end up kicking yourself if you low ball it and someone else swoops. My view would be offer $18K, but have a plan for how you offer $19 or $20K if you need to, and something you'll do to make that OK. That means you personally knowing $18K would have been a steal, so if you pay a bit more you're still on the upside of the ledger. And also something you do to save face - "OK, I'll go to $19K, but only if you deliver it to me" or whatever.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
No harm in asking to pay less. And, if you really want it, there is no rule saying you can't pay more. But, what you can't do is ask to pay less after agreeing to the asking price. Cash in hand often wields a great deal of power.

My older coworker, who has spent his entire life dedicated to making money always says, "Make an offer so low, it will make them cry." I guess if you buy and sell a good bit, it is wise words to go by. The worst they can say is no.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
No harm in asking to pay less. And, if you really want it, there is no rule saying you can't pay more. But, what you can't do is ask to pay less after agreeing to the asking price. Cash in hand often wields a great deal of power.

My older coworker, who has spent his entire life dedicated to making money always says, "Make an offer so low, it will make them cry." I guess if you buy and sell a good bit, it is wise words to go by. The worst they can say is no.
hmmm. I suppose that would depend on the seller. Nothing worse (IMO) than dealing with a low balling tire kicker. I have no patience for them. Some dolt tried to do that to me recently when I sold my boat. I sent him packing and likely wouldn't have sold him my boat at any price :mad:...You know the type, they are the folks that try to negotiate before they even look at what you're selling....

OP- that looks like a very nicely kept machine. Go for it.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Yea that tractor looks better than my 2501 with 75hours on it lol. I think around 20k is a solid deal on this. That finish mower is what about $2500-$3000, so about $18,000 for the tractor. Thats not bad really.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
hmmm. I suppose that would depend on the seller. Nothing worse (IMO) than dealing with a low balling tire kicker. I have no patience for them. Some dolt tried to do that to me recently when I sold my boat. I sent him packing and likely wouldn't have sold him my boat at any price :mad:...You know the type, they are the folks that try to negotiate before they even look at what you're selling....

OP- that looks like a very nicely kept machine. Go for it.

I see your point. But, I have had lowball offers on stuff I was selling. I just say, no. I have also offered less for items on places like Craigslist as well. I don't want to waste my time and the seller's by looking at something knowing I will not pay what he/she is asking. However, if I see an item that I think is a really good price, I won't offer less.

Whatever the case, I don't like getting the run around, whether it be during buying or selling. Offering less IMO is no harm. Agreeing to pay asking price and then offering less upon transaction is just a big no no with me. I have had that happen to me as a seller. I work with someone that uses that as their buying method. I think it is very disingenuous.

I agree though, the asking price is fair.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Offered 18k. He decided he's had too much interest to come down. So I agreed to buy it at 20k. Picking it up this afternoon

Congratulations. That's exactly the way it works. He knew he would sell it at that price eventually.

You'll be happy with it. I really like the little brother to yours, the L2501.