aux lights set up ideas

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
If you look close at the picture of the left side light, you will notice the switch just to the right of that. Same for the front lights. It is up out of the way and out of the weather. I was going to mount the switches in dash, but could not get myself to drill holes in the new tractor. Besides that, I would have had to run more wire to get to and from the switch. I thought this way would have been a little neater job!

Attachments

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Howdy gang... I want to add work lights to my L3830. Ive been looking at lights on several web sites and I think what Im going to do is mount 2 trapezoids facing forward and one flood light facing rearward ( all 55 watt ). Front lights on seperate switch than the rears, my question is do you agree with trapezoids to the front and flood to the rear, I wont be working in the snow Ill be farming in So Cal discing , ripping and general work . These lights will be mounted to the ROPS and no im not going to drill or weld. I dont work much after dark but its always nice to get an early start in the morning, and occasionally I need and extra 30 to 45 min in the evening to finish what Im working on . Ill take any suggestions of any diffrent lighting you may use .... Dan

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I mounted the two Traps on front and two floods to the rear and am very happy with my coverage. I also did the two switches so I can control the lighting. My lights were also 55 watts each. I am sure you will do just fine with one flood in rear. I had to put two floods for using my backhoe attachment on mine so I have good light on either side of the backhoe when swinging the boom and bucket.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Ok Fellas one more question and I wont beat this dead horse anymore, I see some people use a relay in there wiring for the work lights Ive always just used a in-line fuse and a switch for light on other projects. I dont quit understand the purpose of the relay HELP!!!! thank again this forum is very addicting

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I did not use a relay on tractor lights. Just an in-line fuse. I installed lights on my Scag mower and the factory lights did not come with a relay either, just the two lights, brackets, wire and switch.
With all the lights I have ever hooked up in the past, I have never used a relay and have had no problems.
My tractor came with a plug for aux lights hook-up and that is where I connected to so the power was controlled with the ignition and key. Key on, power to the light switch. No key, no power so no one can come and turn on my lights and kill the battery when I am not around. I still did use the in-line fuse as well for each set of lights for added protection.
Hope that helps.
Frank

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You can use a small amp rated switch with a relay and have a heavier duty system. The only thing the switch does is turn the relay on. The relay is what is taking the load, not the switch. Using 55 watt lights it's not as big of a deal. When you get into 100w and higher then a relay system will shine. The relays can even be wired in series with each other and one switch can operate multiple relays. Back in my off roading days I ran 5 130w lights on my rollbar. One rocker switch turned on 5 relays. They are also nice because you can position the relay close to the work and shorten the ammount of heavy wire that needs to be used. A small guage wire is all that's needed to go from switch to relay.

rongarrett

Equipment
M7040 SU
Nov 10, 2011
Newnan Georgia
New M7040 here. First time I had to try and disconnect pto at night I knew I needed rear floods. The factory tail light and emergency flashers have a protective bracket over them. It has a hole already predrilled for work lights. I mounted two floods on these brackets. Work light circuits were already wired and stubbed out nearby. Each circuit is fused separately from factory. The fenders have an inverted channel exposed bracket. I had to slot them to get a regular toggle switch for each light, but it can be done. I used a rubber boot to make them waterproof. One switch faces the rear to make it simpler to use. The other switch faces forward to make it easier to use while seated. When both lights are on there is ample light to do things like mend a fence when a cow has managed to knock a post down. Around here on the farm, many work days last18 hours, especially during hay gathering. The tractor has to have many duties. Lighting up the work area after dark is kinda standard practice around here. Glad I have two lights back there. I just back the tractor into position and we are good to go for all night if necessary. Don't remember the brand, but I got them at Tractor Supply, rectangler shaped, 55 watt each.

bcbull378

Equipment
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I insatlled my new lights a few days ago and used them this evening 2 trapezoids to the front and 2 floods to the rear. I like alota light and theres more than enoght light to farm at night.

Attachments

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Nice looking set-up there. should do you very well.
Frank

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
BC, let's see some pics of the 378 and maybe some of your other bucks and bulls. My eyes go right past the tractor to the racks in your shop.

bcbull378

Equipment
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
BC, let's see some pics of the 378 and maybe some of your other bucks and bulls. My eyes go right past the tractor to the racks in your shop.
heres a picture of my 378 bull Co 1977, a picture of 4 of my better blacktail bucks and one decent mule deer and my moose I shot in the Yukon in 1999 , my e-mail address is bcbull378 only because PY378 ( pope and young )was taken I took my bull with archery gear . Most of my blacktail bucks have been shot on our ranch in Ca . keep in touch I love to talk hunting

Attachments

bbbobbb

Sep 7, 2011
Bucks County PA
These are all great ideas. It really helped with my decision on which light to buy and light location. It looks like the ROPs will be the best place 2 mount them. I'm thinking of using 1 set to shine in one direction then rotate them by hand when needed it in the other direction. Also I like to put my ROP down to the next lower position so I will need to make a bracket that can also be pitched so the lights stay level. I will be posting pixs when done.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
TSC sells 4 different Blazer flood lights, can you tell me which r the ones you guys used ?
I have the Blazer flood lights in the rear, but I have Peterson trapezoid lights in the front.
Trapezoid will give a nice forward beam like the car headlight does. The rear I have mounted floods so it gives a wide light pattern to surround the entire area of the rear of tractor.
If you are only going to use one type of light, you may want to consider using the Blazer Multi Purpose Tractor Light Spotlight Beam. It should give you the best of both worlds.
Hope this helps.
Frank

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
TSC sells 4 different Blazer flood lights, can you tell me which r the ones you guys used ?
That's how I ended up with 4 sets on my 9000. No 1 light did what I needed at any given time. I have different light mounted for different jobs.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Can the lights be grounded right at the lights, on the ROPS ? Instead of running a ground back to the battery or frame?

:confused:
All my lights are grounded right where the light is mounted which would answer yes to your question.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I bet if you check with the dealer they offer a light kit for your mower. I know that it's a option for Scag mowers.